SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my saab arc about a month ago, my fog lights wouldnt turn on so i thought i just needed new bulbs. well i put them in and pushed the button but they dont work still? am i that much of a dumbass or is it a fuse? not really sure.

·
Registered
980 Posts
There are several possibilities to this problem. Let's start with this; Have the DRL's been disabled on this car? In other words, can you turn the headlights OFF with the engine running? The reason I ask this is that several owners have reported losing their fogs after having the DRL's turned off with TECH-II. This seems to happen when the incorrect procedure and/or TECH-II software version is used to disable them. Does the indicator on the dash illuminate when you turn the fogs on?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it seems like they should work because my rear fog lights turn on, and the dash light indicates that they are on but the lights themselves dont turn on. in other words the green light when i press the fog light button comes on the dash.lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's not a fuse, at least according to the fuse chart for MY2006.
They are both 30A, in the underhood fuse panel:

Fuse 16:
Front right parking light; front right turn signal; left and right side turn signal; right high beam; left low beam; front left fog light.

Fuse 26:
Front left turn signal; front left parking light; front right fog light ; right low beam; left high beam.

As you can see Saab "cross-fuses" the lighting in such a way that if one fuse blows, you still have some lighting on both low and high beams. If either of them was blown, I'm sure you'd know it.

When you changed the lamps, did you remove the entire plastic shroud behind the front lip? There is an electrical harness that should be clipped to the shroud with connectors where you can check for voltage with a test lamp or meter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure, all i know is i removed the cap underneath disconnected the lamps and then hooked the new ones up and they still dont work. so thats basically where i am. lol i wish i had something i could use to check to the voltage to see if there was anything actually coming from it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh also the DRL's have not been turned off, there mas no techII job done. they are always on. i just dont get it!!!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You need to get a simple automotive electrical test light.....less then $5 at an auto parts store. When the car is on, and the fog light switch is on, you clip the wire on the end of the test light to a grounded part of the car (metal) and then touch the tip to the wire going to the H3 bulb. If the test light illuminates, you have power at the fogs...

My guess is that there was some body work done to the car by a previous owner, and the body shop either severed a wire in the fog harness, or didnt hook them back up....

Sean

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
strange part about this is that you aren't getting SID warnings that fog lights are out... according to WIS if a fog light burns out or isn't lit you should get a warning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts