SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my friends 95 900se vert now has no working fog lights. The driver’s side was working. So he decided to get a new set of bulbs. Last night we changed them out. The driver’s side was done first and tested as still working. Then we did the passenger side. When I removed the cover I found that only one side of the spring clip was connected. I pulled the bulb out and it looked fine. Anyway we put the new build in and decided to test the lights. Except now neither of them light up. So I disconnected the passenger side one and tried again and still nothing. I checked the fuse and swapped out the relay under the hood and still nothing.

Before calling it a night I got out my probe light and poked around a little. I am getting no power to the fog lights in the front. However the fuse and relay both seem to be fine. Actually the relay seemed to have power to 2 of the 4 contacts no matter what position the switch was in.

The only other issue the car is having right now is that the driver’s side high beam doesn’t seem to work. Again I checked the fuses and relay. I think the problem is in the switch since it has some problems like not clicking so the high beams stay on. I doubt the 2 are related but I wanted to mention it just incase.

Anyway any suggestions about the fog lights would be appreciated. I am a bit baffled as to why neither of them works now.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Though you are getting no voltage to the lamps, is their continuity? I would have suggested grounds, but it appears each lamp goes to different grounding points. Attached is the diagram for the fog lights though.

OK, so the file is too big for attachment, so I cropped them into smaller files.
They should be put together with 1st-top left, 2nd-top right, 3rd-bottom left, 4th bottom right.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Slaab4life said:
Though you are getting no voltage to the lamps, is their continuity? I would have suggested grounds, but it appears each lamp goes to different grounding points. Attached is the diagram for the fog lights though.

OK, so the file is too big for attachment, so I cropped them into smaller files.
They should be put together with 1st-top left, 2nd-top right, 3rd-bottom left, 4th bottom right.
Good luck.
Wow TGA you should feel lucky! It must have taken Slaab a little bit to put that post together. Nice post, this may come in handy!

Tboy

·
Registered
483 Posts
It could be the TWICE module, especially if you are having problems with the switch like that. because the switch never actaully stays latched in the high beam position, its just a momentary switch, that triggers the computer to put the high beams on. (nice feature, that way when you turn your car on, even if you left the highbeams on when you shut it off, they will be off when you turn the car back on)

Also consideiring are fogs can be reprogramed by the dealer to be on with the parking lights.

So theres another sugestion

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What is "TWICE" ?

The fogs operate thru the ICE, seems to me that if the ICE is non-functional, one could bypass it easily..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well whatever the name of this module is. Could one of you please tell me where it is located? What I will do is swap it with the one in my 94 assuming they are the same.

I am really not familiar with all this Saab specific stuff, I am use to the switch being spring loaded and clicking on and off right there. So thank you all for the help I would have been replacing the switch at $95 for no reason at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tboy said:
Wow TGA you should feel lucky! It must have taken Slaab a little bit to put that post together. Nice post, this may come in handy!

Tboy
Yes actually I do feel quite lucky. I am rather new and doubt I have helped anyone around here. Not to mention I have shared some of my personal opinions about oil that tend to go against today’s trends. So to be honest I didn’t really expect anyone to take much time in helping me out. Thanks Slaab4life I have already arranged and printed out the images you posted.

If swapping this module out doesn’t resolve the problem that diagram with come in quite handy. However I doubt the problem is the ground. If it were my probe light would have light up since it was grounded to a different point.

I really need a good book for these cars. I have the Haynes manual but it really isn’t my speed. I am use to having the factory repair manuals for the cars I work on. Does anyone know if you can buy them for the GM900?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NCviggen said:
the foglights can really be reprogrammed to come on with the parking lights?!?!? :cheesy: i didn't know that. good info ;)
I guess my friend and I got lucky or something because both our cars fog lights can be turned on with just the parking lights light. Or well they both use to have fog lights that came on with just parking lights. Right now they don’t do jack!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Their is no TWICE in an NG900, I believe that is a 9-3 thing.

In what position is your headlight switch in? Is it all the way clockwise? If not put it there and check it all out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well if there is no module I guess the high beams issue is the switch. :(

As for the fog lights they were tested more then once with all possible combinations. Even played with the high beams since the fog lights don’t work if the high beams are on. That’s how I found out the switch for them no longer click on.

I guess neither of these problems is going to be an easy fix. I hate chasing down electrical issues in a car packed full of electronics,

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I know that there is a DICE and TWICE module, dice standing for dashboard intergrated electronics, I believe it is under teh drivers seat and under teh carpet.

and yes with a tech 2 the TWICE module can be reprogramed to just turn the fogs on with the parking lights, I had mine done last week

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
According to the Haynes manual, the fogs are controlled by the ICE (14) as well as its switch and two relays.

If the ICE is inoperative, one can bypass it by bridging terminals 17 and 55. This appears to be possible by looking at the schematic, p. 12-20..
The fogs should operate unless the high beams are on (true) and only in headlight switch position 2 or 3 (true) .
This is for the '96 S and only for the front fog-lites..

Both rear fogs operate on this car..

I agree that the Haynes is very limited, it could have been so much better( and more costly)..
The owner's manual is also in this category..
The factory manual may cost 0.7$$$$ -complete..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts