SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the fog lights, that ugly yellow color is taking away from the look of the nice headlamps. I'm gonna switch em out but am at a loss of which route to go. I know the blubs are H1 and i've heard about HID kits also.

*Note* before you go with the safety talk, i dont get fog here..... ever. I think i've seen fog maybe once and that was three years ago. Since i don't need em i figured i'd put em to good use by making em look nice.

I was taking a look at the Osram Nightbreakers and the Osram coolblue. Anyone have any experience with either bulb? Also, anyone know where i can find them here in the US? I found some on ebay, but when it comes to bulbs, i'm kinda tending to shy away from mail orders out of country. Can't find the Coolblue here in the U.S.

Oh, one last thing, i'm confused as to what bulb the main lamps use. powerbulbs.com says it uses H7 just like the high beam one.... but another side said they are model D1S? Sorry for the totally retarded questions. ;oops:

Thanks for the info, gonna take a look through the manual, i barely found out i can program the car to not turn the A/C on everytime i start it hah. :roll:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
the 2003 does not have bi-xenons, bi-xenons refers to TWO xenon bulbs per side, as in, a different bulb for high/low beams.

you simply have xenon's. One bulb that is on all the time, the high low function comes from a little flap that opens full for high beams, hence the brighter light.

the light that is in the "center" towards the grille is your "flash to pass" function. If you headlight switch is off (and you dont have DRL) these bulbs will come on when you flash as it is bad for the xenon bulbs to be flashed

d1s is the xenon bulb

you can also perform the relay 666 mod, search for it here or at saabnet.com basically what this does is jump the relay so that when you put your high beams on (at night) those inside "flash to pass" bulbs will also come on, i have done this to my 02 and the amount of light you get is unbelievable, you'll hate driving any other car at night

if i were going to replace my fog lights to get a whiter light, i would simply buy something cheap at walmart as they arent really all that effective anyways.. the osrams are not going to be cheap

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Ski. I edited the message as i was confused whether they were or weren't bi-xenons. So it's a flap that makes them move huh, i always though the whole thing moved. Everybody is always amazed when they see it. Like "whoah!! your lights moved"

If you don't mind me asking are you a man or woman? That name i have only heard once, its a friend of mine from school. She's really small too, we call her skiwi... as in the fruit. If you're a guy, sorry if that comment gets you poked at.

I actually went ahead and ordered the osram cool blues, they weren't toooo expensive. About $30 for the pair and i got a free set of w5w's that i'll put in the little lights on the side of the car.

I'm gonna go shop around for some front turn signal lights since they yellow coating is starting to fall off and fly around inside the housing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
haha, im male :)

what you see "move" when you start the car isnt the flap, its the self-leveling function.. based on front rear load weight, i thought that was mighty cool when i got my 02 aero haha

the "flap" that moves when you go from low to high beams you cannot see, but you can hear them making noise when you switch from low to high and high to low

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok, then i'm not crazy.

I can't seem to find anything on relay 666 here on these forums. I did find some stuff over on saabnet only it's a bb board and tough to really understand the mod. Since i know really nothing about electronics, i don't wanna go frying anything. :confused:

I think i'll give the mod a try when i can find some details and pics on how to go about it. I don't know what tools or anything of that techno stuff they are talking about really means.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Knifemundo said:
Ah ok, then i'm not crazy.

I can't seem to find anything on relay 666 here on these forums. I did find some stuff over on saabnet only it's a bb board and tough to really understand the mod. Since i know really nothing about electronics, i don't wanna go frying anything. :confused:

I think i'll give the mod a try when i can find some details and pics on how to go about it. I don't know what tools or anything of that techno stuff they are talking about really means.

Thanks again.
i didnt see any good posts (with pictures) on saabnet, if i get a chance tomorrow ill take the pics of what i did, this mod seriously takes 3 mins and 2 dollars. Have been running it this way for over a year and have had no issues

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, lot of good info out there, but i seriously don't know what they mean when they say jumper. figured it's a part that comes standard, and you can get at radio shack. When is see 3M i think double sided tape though >_< .Hah, thanks. I'd appreciate it if you put it up. Maybe the mods can sticky it to the faq or somethin too.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you have xenons you have bi-xenons, which is the aforementioned function of the xenon bulb always being on high with a filter over it which is lifted when you turn on the high beams. That is bi-xenon.

As for the fog lights, I went with Luminics H1's which pretty much match the white of the bi-xenons even though they are halogens.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
tmg19103 said:
If you have xenons you have bi-xenons, which is the aforementioned function of the xenon bulb always being on high with a filter over it which is lifted when you turn on the high beams. That is bi-xenon.

As for the fog lights, I went with Luminics H1's which pretty much match the white of the bi-xenons even though they are halogens.
ohh i didnt realize that, sorry for my misinformation above, i thought bi-xenon's referred two two bulbs per beam IE: 2 bulbs low, 2 bulbs high

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.. yup, that sounds like what i got. As the manual says i shouldn't mess with the lights as they are high voltage and some other crazy stuff.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
tmg19103 said:
^^^This is absolutely correct.

tmg19103 said:
I tried the Luminics and I wasn't pleased to be honest. I have been using these bulbs from Hoen and I haven't replaced them in 2 years! Mind you I needed H8's because I upgraded my front spoiler to the new '04+ front end; the new round fog lights take an H8 bulb. They are the closest match I have found (and I tried 6 different bulbs from various companies) outside of doing an HID upgrade for the fog lights themselves. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
relay666 mod

Purpose: For those of us with Xenon headlights, it allows our "flash to pass" lights to come on when high beams are switched on giving us much more light for safe driving at night. The flash to pass lights are the lights located closest to the grille in the headlight assembly, see picture below

Tools/Supplies needed: Crimpers and wire cutters OR pliers, 2 3m Connectors OR 2 wire nuts, and flat blade screwdriver, and an Inline fuse connector. All these things are available at places like radioshack and walmart etc. and cost about 5 dollars.

Step 1: Gather needed supplies and locate your under hood fuse box.

Step 2: Locate the relay you will be working with (relay 666), its the gray one in the top left corner of the box.

Step 3: Remove the relay panel floor from the box, 4 holders, one in each corner and lift the panel floor out of the box.

Step 4: Flip the panel floor over and locate the blue and white wires that come from the spot where relay 666 sits. These two wires are in spots 87 and 87a from the relay. You can see my 3M connectors on the blue and white wires already, those will obviously not be there on yours until you have finished.

http://easy-clan.com/ski/pics/relay666/relay.JPG[img]

[u][b]Step 5:[/b][/u] Make the connection between the blue and white wires with an inline fuse connector. I used a 15amp fuse. I also used 2 3M connectors, instead of wire nuts. Some people may argue that the 3M connectors do not allow enough of a connection and will cause a problem. I have had this set up for more than 1year and I drive mostly at night (night shift) and have never had any issue. I also like the fact that you can simply remove the 3M connectors and your wires are still intact, if you use wire nuts, you have to cut wires and then splice them back together if you decide to remove this mod

[img]http://easy-clan.com/ski/pics/relay666/theconnection2.JPG

Step 6: Enjoy your new and much improved high beams!!!

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this mod, it takes about 5 mins and is well worth it!!!

Nate

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
j006 said:
^^^This is absolutely correct.

I tried the Luminics and I wasn't pleased to be honest. I have been using these bulbs from Hoen and I haven't replaced them in 2 years! Mind you I needed H8's because I upgraded my front spoiler to the new '04+ front end; the new round fog lights take an H8 bulb. They are the closest match I have found (and I tried 6 different bulbs from various companies) outside of doing an HID upgrade for the fog lights themselves. Cheers.
Luminics look good for me. Not bright, but they match the white of the xenons and you don't wan't fogs to be too bright. I would not use Luminics has headlights, though. Like I said - not bright enough, though they are white enough.

If I were to burn a bulb I'd give those Hoen's a try, but they don't seem to have the H1 I need.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
mt.aero said:
Thanks for the tutorial ski! :D On the to-do list now as I havent been happy with the xenon light output.
Jeez, not happy with xenon light output! Your bulbs are either near death or you need to strap some super troupers to your hood! ;)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Kermit said:
Jeez, not happy with xenon light output! Your bulbs are either near death or you need to strap some super troupers to your hood! ;)
Yah know, Ive thought that they may be near death. I had higher light output in my '91 civic, but hear a lot of others complain about the output on xenons so I just dealt with it. I didnt want to "try" new bulbs if it wasnt going to fix it cause they are not cheap. :( Maybe its time to try it. thanks for the "push out the door"

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Kermit said:
i have new bulbs in mine, but hey, more light is better, right?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts