SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
A rock or something of that nature must have been thrown up on the highway, and now my foglight lens is shattered. I figured the dealer would want something ourageous. I was wrong. $225.60 for a single foglight goes well beyond outrageous. Anyway, I can get a used one complete for sixty bucks. The foglight housing is fine, though, and there's a lens by itself on ebay for about 25, including shipping. I'd like to take the more economic way out and just buy the lens, but it doesn't look easy to replace. I'm pretty sure I'll have to take the whole foglight out anyway, but does anybody know if the lenses can be swapped easily enough? Or would I be better off buying the whole thing?
Thanks much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you can get a used one complete for 60 bucks I'd say go for it. When I bought the 9³ I didn't notice that the passenger side fog light lense was smashed. I ended up paying a hundred dollars more than you'll have to for a new assembly from eeuroparts.

Not sure how easy swaping a lense is...but I think some time ago someone posted something about using plexiglass in place of a lense. You might want to do a forum search.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
saabtour said:
Hey guys
A rock or something of that nature must have been thrown up on the highway, and now my foglight lens is shattered. I figured the dealer would want something ourageous. I was wrong. $225.60 for a single foglight goes well beyond outrageous. Anyway, I can get a used one complete for sixty bucks. The foglight housing is fine, though, and there's a lens by itself on ebay for about 25, including shipping. I'd like to take the more economic way out and just buy the lens, but it doesn't look easy to replace. I'm pretty sure I'll have to take the whole foglight out anyway, but does anybody know if the lenses can be swapped easily enough? Or would I be better off buying the whole thing?
Thanks much.
What lenses? The only lenses that you can find for fogs are the Bosch lenses for the classic 900 not the newer style 900.

I know it sucks. Been there done that and now I have a spare set for my car just in case.

Bite the bullet and buy ther one on ebay.

The plexi glass lens will look like crap and will become yellow and scratch in a few days :roll: It will let water infiltrate. This is a SAAB man don't make it look cheap!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a broken foglight in front of me as I'm writing this. The glass lens is bonded to the plastic housing with what appears to be black RTV silicone adhesive. If you can actaully buy a lens for the NG900 (like hkayssi said, I've only seen them for the C900's), it shouldn't be too difficult to peel away all the old adhesive and bond in the new one with any color RTV adhesive that you can find.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies, I think the thing to do is get under the car this weekend, take out the busted light, and see what we're dealing with. Can anyone give me the procedure for removing the foglight housing? As always, thank you in advance for all the kind assistance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
All this talk about removing this that and the other thing...is the 900 that much different than the 9³ when it comes to playing with the fog lights? It was not nearly as difficult to change the fog light assembly for me as it sounds like it was for those with 900s

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
bntroberts said:
All this talk about removing this that and the other thing...is the 900 that much different than the 9³ when it comes to playing with the fog lights? It was not nearly as difficult to change the fog light assembly for me as it sounds like it was for those with 900s
Oh yes my friend it's very diffrent. The 9-3's fog light is a breeze to change compaired to the 900. Changing the light bulb is even easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts