SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi; I installed the fog light kit and switch on my '04 9-3 and now need to program them to car; have a Chinese clone Tech II that seems to be working fine; I'm able to connect it to the car and have the car register; however, does anyone have detailed instructions how to activate the fogs with Tech II?? Am afraid of pressing the wrong button and liquidating my ECU/totally blocking the car electronically; maybe someone posted a link to the programming steps somewhere on site?? thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Select Diagnostics, select your car, and select All at the Diagnostics menu. Select Most Common Adjustments, then select Fog Lights Front and follow the instructions. If you need security access, look in the Tech II forum for GlobalTIS/TIS2000. That runs on PC w/serial or USB->serial to the Tech II. You're nowhere near the menu where you brick the car. :cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Select Diagnostics, select your car, and select All at the Diagnostics menu. Select Most Common Adjustments, then select Fog Lights Front and follow the instructions. If you need security access, look in the Tech II forum for GlobalTIS/TIS2000. That runs on PC w/serial or USB->serial to the Tech II. You're nowhere near the menu where you brick the car. :cool:
oh okay thanks for instructions; will follow and report back
also, how do I know I need security access? will it ask me for a code? (have about 5 mins of use with this amazing instrument)

finally, it came with two Bosch CDs claiming to have instructions and Adobe on them; will I find this procedur (and maybe many others) in this media? I don't have an optical drive at the moment, so can't find out:((

·
Registered
283 Posts
also, how do I know I need security access? will it ask me for a code? (have about 5 mins of use with this amazing instrument)

finally, it came with two Bosch CDs claiming to have instructions and Adobe on them; will I find this procedur (and maybe many others) in this media? I don't have an optical drive at the moment, so can't find out:((
Tech II will tell you it needs security access.
Instructions on laptop setups,how to use the software etc, are in the tech II forum stickies.

The disc that came with your clone is apparently good for scaring off birds from fruit trees... CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS on what to do with the disc are here under the heading "That TIS2000 disc you got with your Tech2? "

GL :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi everyone; so connected the tech ii with the CANdi attachment (it would not work without CANdi) and indeed was told that don't have security access/need TIS2000 (see first pic) for every option/adjustment that I tried except for one. (see question 3 for the exception) I did find the link as mcgyvah posted, so now I just need a computer with Windows and optical drive

questions:

1. if I get the real tech II for SAAB from Vetronix: https://www.vetronix.com/collections/tech-2/products/vetronix-tech-ii?variant=22664791195706
will I still need to get this TIS2000 permission nonsense using a Windows machine or will the real Tech II work immediately upon being connected to the car?

2. will the real Tech II work fine without the CANdi module? (I read that SAAB does not need it so maybe the fact that this clone does means that its a clone deficiency/difference?)

3. when I selected Fog Lights under Most Common Adjustments, instead of getting the TIS2000 denial, clone said that Fog Lights are not installed (second pic) They are most definitely installed with the correct switch (with fog lamp button) and this switch but the way works except of course for the front fog lamp button. My car came prewired with the harness for them and I made sure to clean the contacts real good before attaching them to the lamps. Any ideas why its telling me the fogs are not there?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) yes meaning?
2) no meaning? (not sure what T5, T7/T8 are)

so based on link, I will need a relay and fuse to complete the hardware instal for them to work correct? what exact relay and fuse will I need part number wise?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
1) yes meaning?
2) no meaning? (not sure what T5, T7/T8 are)

so based on link, I will need a relay and fuse to complete the hardware instal for them to work correct? what exact relay and fuse will I need part number wise?
Yes to your question #1. GlobalTIS/TIS 2000 REQUIRED in all cases.
No to your question #2. CANDi REQUIRED in all cases.

T5 and T7 are older EMS. T8 is what is in your car. Canbus is in all GM since early 2000s.

Try re-adding the UEC using your Tech II. That was the point of the link.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay clear on my first two questions

ohh, okay, so I need to add the fogs via the UEC before adding them via Most Common adjustments?

If so, is this post from mod Digg providing the exact instructions to complete the UEC step?:
"GO to Add/remove and find uec. Add. GO through the prompts. one should ask if you have fogs.
See step 14 when turning off the DRLs."

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like there might be some confusion over physically adding (installing) the item. And electronically "adding" the module using the tech II.

Chinese unit pretty much works the same as the real thing except the quality is not so great. But you get what you pay for.
that is, a few hundred $ versus multi thousands for the real thing. Mine has been working with no real issues.
The software featured on the tech 2 forum (probably where this should be posted) has the Saab security access built in.

Sometimes(very rarely) I find my chinese tech ii cant see the CANbus Digital Interface ( CANdi ) , just turn it all off, check your connections, and turn on again. This is technically know as the Universal Reset move, learn this move, it is the goto move for anything electronic you might encounter in your entire life.....;)

There is a really good write up on setting up an old xp laptop to use with your saab. (This is also in the tech 2 forum stickies). It isnt hard at all and there are links to the software for the laptop, as well as the tis2000 ( you need tis2000 for yours, not globaltis).
If its the only car you use the tech 2 on I think it will generally keep the security access in memory. Mine seems to. I have to redo it once in a while.
Give it a go, as long as you have a bit of old computer knowledge its not as hard as it first looks, just be sure to follow the instructions.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mcgyvah thanks for detailed comparison; the quality of this one seems to be pretty good; no immediate complaints

okay, so if CANdi does not register at times, I will follow your advice; so far CANdi has registered

I'll look through the stickies then for the XP writeup
yeah my 9-3 will be the only car I use it on (I'm guessing)

1. would I be able to instal TIS2000 and then get the permission for my Tech II on a Windows 7 or better yet Windows 10 machine or does it have to be XP?
2. to connect it to computer I plug in RS232 end into Tech II and the Ethernet end into the notebook?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
1. The software will not run directly on 64 bit OS, but info is in Tech II forum and here about running it in a virtual machine. It is possible to install it on 32 bit Windows 7.
2. "Ethernet" end to Tech II. "RS232 end" to PC.

UEC add is alternative to Most Common Adjustments add. One or the other.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There are two software packages for getting security access with your Tech2...TIS2000 or the slightly later Globaltis.
There are tutorials regarding installation of both.
I recently added a post showing how to install Globaltis on Windows 7 if you want to go down that route.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okcrum, thanks for clarifications; so then I will need a RS232 to USB adapter to connect to comp right? (see nothing close to RS232 port of my 2011 ThinkPad; actually it looks like of similar to VGA but def a no go)

CJ, okay so I'll try your tutorial

wow this is a lot of work; had no idea would need to enable Tech II after getting it and it would require a 32 bit Windows machine; wonder why they can't just make it work out of the box and require this permissions nonsense

·
Registered
65 Posts
okcrum, thanks for clarifications; so then I will need a RS232 to USB adapter to connect to comp right? (see nothing close to RS232 port of my 2011 ThinkPad; actually it looks like of similar to VGA but def a no go)

CJ, okay so I'll try your tutorial

wow this is a lot of work; had no idea would need to enable Tech II after getting it and it would require a 32 bit Windows machine; wonder why they can't just make it work out of the box and require this permissions nonsense
I tried the recommended USB adapter and a virtual machine and gave up. I got a $60 Dell D630 with XP and everything works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Right, you'll need USB->serial adapter for the ThinkPad. I use a couple of $8 eBay specials, and they work fine with the virtualbox VMs I use for GlobalTIS and TIS2Web. YMMV.

GM designed the whole thing so only dealers could work on the cars. This is what working around that entails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts