SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Original remote not working

Hello all, I've tried the "unlock 5x" method with key in driver's door numerous times without success. Have seen "ready for remote 3", placed in slot & held start button for 45 seconds with no results. Also saw "learning mode pending" prior to that. (Original remote went for a spin in the washer & dryer a while back. Seemed to work then appeared to need new battery. Replaced battery & remote failed after 2 weeks, setting off alarm. Replaced battery again, working hit or miss after 2 weeks.) What does one do when they don't own a (properly) working remote in order to program new one? Any suggestions? Would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just programmed a new remote to my 2011 NG 9-5 so I can confirm this works. However, my experience was slightly different.

I put in my existing fob to the fob slot and unlocked the door five times. The SID stated that it was ready for a new remote. I removed my old fob and put in the new one.

I pressed the start button. The SID message changed and asked me to put the new remote into the slot and press start.

"Press start" actually means "Press and Hold Start". This took me a few nerve wracking tries to figure this out. Simply pressing start does absolutely nothing. It will also render your old key inoperable as well. Both remotes worked at this point with regards to unlocking and locking as well as remote start, but I could not disable the anti-theft and actually drive the car. The SID was in a never ending loop asking me to put in the new remote and press start.

So at this point, I put in the new remote and "press and held" (for what seemed like ages, but was probably only 30 seconds). The car started right up as normal. Success.

This fob programming sequence seems to me to be independent of whether or not your car is equipped with remote start or not. I have remote start.
I can confirm this was my experience with a FOB I purchased from eBay.
I placed my current FOB in the slot, did the 5 unlock turn. The SID said Ready for Remote 3. I placed the new FOB in the slot and held down the Start button for 65 seconds. Boom, started. The old FOB continued to work after that, but not during the process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can confirm this was my experience with a FOB I purchased from eBay.
I placed my current FOB in the slot, did the 5 unlock turn. The SID said Ready for Remote 3. I placed the new FOB in the slot and held down the Start button for 65 seconds. Boom, started. The old FOB continued to work after that, but not during the process.
This also worked for me except I only had to briefly press the Start button when it asked for the next remote. The message went out shortly afterwards but I put in the next remote and pressed Start again anyway. It still worked. All remotes are now working including the remote start.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made a mistake. I pulled the fob out to soon. The dash said learning in process and the it went blank. I thought it was done. I have only one that came with the 95 and it is a catilac fob. It only started the 95 only. Now, it does not do anything when I try it over again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
one more tip - I tried the method, it didn't seem to 'learn' the new remote, and it was driving me nuts. so, after several tries, i changed the battery in the new remote, and sure enough, it had a dead battery (despite being brand new - I guess it sat in inventory for years). method works just fine, it's as easy as triggering a liberal snowflake...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got it to work but still says theft attempt. The dealer ship is getting me 2 Saab fobs anyways but I was hoping I could get this one to work with more options hehe. The turn signals flash fast as if one is out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got it to work but still says theft attempt. The dealer ship is getting me 2 Saab fobs anyways but I was hoping I could get this one to work with more options hehe. The turn signals flash fast as if one is out.
did you try putting in completely fresh batteries? i bought mine brand new from esaabparts for $58.99, but i did have a working one.

regarding the turn signals, mine did that too, and i 'fixed' it. here's what i did, it might be worth a shot - i took out the socket, and with a pair of needle-nose pliers, i extended the little tabs so they come out a bit more, then reinserted the socket into the tail light. it worked. i think mine were too loose, and weren't making a good connection. your results may vary, but it won't hurt trying.

·
Registered
375 Posts
did you try putting in completely fresh batteries? i bought mine brand new from esaabparts for $58.99, but i did have a working one.

regarding the turn signals, mine did that too, and i 'fixed' it. here's what i did, it might be worth a shot - i took out the socket, and with a pair of needle-nose pliers, i extended the little tabs so they come out a bit more, then reinserted the socket into the tail light. it worked. i think mine were too loose, and weren't making a good connection. your results may vary, but it won't hurt trying.
I will try that on the lights. They flash normal then fast. I will try new battery in the fob. It's not a Saab fab though. The dealer ship is getting me Saab ones. There is a guy who does fob programming and key cutting. Be cool to have an extra one and hide it some where.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will try that on the lights. They flash normal then fast. I will try new battery in the fob. It's not a Saab fab though. The dealer ship is getting me Saab ones. There is a guy who does fob programming and key cutting. Be cool to have an extra one and hide it some where.
the FOB programming is easy, you can do it yourself. the metal key is $35, they cut it to your vin from eEuroparts.com.

i got an extra one only because the car only had one remote (even the metal key was missing), and i'd hate to lose it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
the FOB programming is easy, you can do it yourself. the metal key is $35, they cut it to your vin from eEuroparts.com.

i got an extra one only because the car only had one remote (even the metal key was missing), and i'd hate to lose it.
The fob is catilac and only able o start the 95. Then it says theft attempt. Key is cut to the 95.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dropped off the 95 today at Kendall Ford. Got the alignment done witch has a slight pull to the right still be not as bad. Could be the tires. I got 2 keys and fobs programmed. Well, the guy cut who does the keys and fob programming, is a 3rd party. He did not get me the 95 Saab ones. Instead, I got 2 Cadillac keys and fobs. He said it would have been $500 for them. I told him they are $51.99 off eeuroparts.com. He said his company does not buy them off line. I said they are oem and they carry all oem parts. He said that Saab 95 uses the same software as the Cadillac and it is only plastic and a sticker. Needless to say he is not a Saab fan. It is not only plastic and a sticker. Its a Saab 95 key/fob. Well, I told him I do not care what it cost as I am not paying for it. Needless to say, I would have to buy them off eeuroparts and program them myself unless the internals are the same. Only thing he did was program it where I do not need the key fob in the holder to start the 95. Does anyone know if the Saab key fob and Cadillac are the same that I can switch them? If not, then I can only look at it one way. The 95 is the Cadillac of Saabs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've lost both key fobs to my 2011 9-5. Dealer says only way out is a tow and reprogram with Tech 2 at dealer. I have a new key fob. Is there any back door programming technique?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts