SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to pass this along from an NG9-5 owner, but cannot verify personally it works. I paid $110 to my Saab Authorized Repair facility for just the programming who told me it would take a full hour on the MDI (Tech II) just to do.

"Put the existing fob in the smart slot then put the key blade into the door. "Unlock" 5 times. The SID will say "insert new key" put the new fob into the learning slot wait for the car to say learning completed. There you go, it's the same as adding a new key to the Corvette!!"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sweet.

Reviving this thread... Perfect timing. I just ordered a new key here in Atlanta (fob ~$76, key ~$23) and the labor was quoted at $115, which is equivalent to 1 hour. I'm going to try this programming trick and will post back to confirm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confirmed

I just programmed a new remote to my 2011 NG 9-5 so I can confirm this works. However, my experience was slightly different.

I put in my existing fob to the fob slot and unlocked the door five times. The SID stated that it was ready for a new remote. I removed my old fob and put in the new one.

I pressed the start button. The SID message changed and asked me to put the new remote into the slot and press start.

"Press start" actually means "Press and Hold Start". This took me a few nerve wracking tries to figure this out. Simply pressing start does absolutely nothing. It will also render your old key inoperable as well. Both remotes worked at this point with regards to unlocking and locking as well as remote start, but I could not disable the anti-theft and actually drive the car. The SID was in a never ending loop asking me to put in the new remote and press start.

So at this point, I put in the new remote and "press and held" (for what seemed like ages, but was probably only 30 seconds). The car started right up as normal. Success.

This fob programming sequence seems to me to be independent of whether or not your car is equipped with remote start or not. I have remote start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I couldn't get this to work for me. I have one working fob and one that used to work but got flakey and does nothing.

As instructed I put the good fob in the learning slot and used the manual key to unlock the drivers door 5 times. The SID indicated ready for remote 3. I put in the non working fob and pressed and held start and eventually the SID went out without ever changing it's ready message.

The battery in the fob checks fine on my multimeter. Could it just be a bad fob?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I couldn't get this to work for me. I have one working fob and one that used to work but got flakey and does nothing.
Are both original? I ask because I had one original key and one brand new key. In order to program the new key they had to update the BCM (body control module). I had the dealer do it. I think it was in the $250 range including the new remote, new cut key ("emergency key" that slides into the remote) and the programming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wanted to pass this along from an NG9-5 owner, but cannot verify personally it works. I paid $110 to my Saab Authorized Repair facility for just the programming who told me it would take a full hour on the MDI (Tech II) just to do.

"Put the existing fob in the smart slot then put the key blade into the door. "Unlock" 5 times. The SID will say "insert new key" put the new fob into the learning slot wait for the car to say learning completed. There you go, it's the same as adding a new key to the Corvette!!"
Marcd7, was the key fob programming steps, just for the 9-5? I have a 2007 9-3 2.0T, and ready to buy a brand new fob (not used) as a backup, and wondered if these steps will work for 9-3 as well? Thanks, Doug900

·
Registered
1 Posts
9-3SS is different than NG 9-5

It requires a TECH II and all (old) keys present when adding the key because it requires you to tap into the CIM. On the 9-3SS if you lose all keys its bad news because you have to replace your CIM. So always have at least 2 functioning fobs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Non-MDI approach for 95NG

Does coding a new key deactivate any existing keys? Do we know how many keys can be active at the same time? I'd love to add a 3rd 'just in case'.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It didn't work for me. Tried pressing unlock on both the key fob and the dashboard, but nothing is coming up on the SID.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wrong "unlock"

I think if you re-read the op you will see it says use the emergency key in the DOOR lock and NOT the unlock buttons on the fob or in the car.

Good luck with it,

Chris.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FOB Programming

It worked for me !! I panic a little because I wasn't HOLDING the Start key until the display turns off. Thanks. My new FOB included the remote start button even it seems to do something doesn't turn the car on

·
Registered
14 Posts
FOB Programming and spare blade

Key blade cost US$13 with shipping, remote smart key from saabusaparts.com $60, key blade cutting was $35 at a locksmith, Programming did it myself, remember to hold the Start button for at least 30 sec.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have just bought a new key fob for my 2011 9-5 NG and have tried the above. I can't get the sid to say anything. I have tried locking and unlocking the door with the blade key, just turning it 5 times to the unlock position, door open, door closed, pretty much everything I can think of. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SWEET - I'm glad I found this - We just lost one of the key FOBs after it fell off the emergency key blade in the grass somewhere (no idea how that happened...) I'm gonna order a replacement FOB today and follow these steps.;ol;

·
Registered
27 Posts
2010 slightly different...

Well, on the 2010 AERO I can access the remote learning by unlocking with the key blade 5 times. It says "Remote Learning in Progress, Please Wait." and then goes out after 30 seconds. There's no prompt to insert the new remote to be learned...

Tried a couple combinations but can't seem to figure this out...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts