SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am very new to the forum so forgive me if my question has been answered already and I did not find it.
I returned home yesterday after a 3 week absence and the remote unlocking of my keys did not work anymore.
When entering with the manual key, the alarm went off and I do not know how to stop it.
The ignition does also not work.
After calling my local Saab repair shop the suggested to disconnect the battery but it did not help because when I reconnected after 20 minutes the alarm started again.
The replacement key does not work either?

Do you have any suggestions? I need the car this weekend and the local Saab repair shop has no appointments before late next week.

Thank you very much in advance!
Christopher

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You say ignition does not work but can the keyfob turn the ignition? Usually if you open the door with the metal key after the alarm has been engaged, inserting the keyfob into the ignition and turning it will disable the alarm.

I'd start with charging the car's battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can turn the ignition but that does neither start the engine nor does it stop the alarm.
I will try charging the battery then I guess.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to exchange the battery. However, it does not work for both keys and I can turn the ignition but it does not start the engine.
Anyway, I will try that and let you know!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Keyfob battery may be dead but I don’t think keyfob battery is needed to start car: CIM/ignition switch read keyfob. Since switch works (key turns) it’s recognized by car so I think car battery is too flat to start it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Steve, my 'no electronics' plain key turns the ignition switch all the way to the start position, at the ON position various things are activated, (clicks and hums like the Fob key -the normal sounds when turned to the ON position), but it won't start the engine, it's dead when the key is rotated to ST. (Of course my CIM FOB key does start the motor. 2000 93). So I can only assume that the key FOB electronics are required activate the starter / ignition systems.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
These cars really need to have a charge maintainer on the battery if they're going to sit idle for weeks at a time. If you get 1 click or nothing when trying to start, it's the battery.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
So you are getting a click from the igntion switch module and you can turn the fob to start?

Are there any messages on SID? Is SID even working (showing time)?

It sounds like you need to charge the battery and check that it is well over 12.0V. That will also hopefully solve alarm problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to you all.
The alarm went off indeed after I charged the battery a bit and also the central locking system worked again so there is definitely an issue with a flat battery.
However, now it shows a "steering wheel lock malfunction". And opposite to what I said before I cannot turn the ignition.
Any thoughts or tricks on that? I would like to at least be able to drive to repair shop myself and avoid a tow.
Thank you so much already!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I finally got it towed to the repair shop and apparently the CIM is "bad" (I guess that means broken).
They say a new one is 1300$. Is that true?
I don't even know if it is worth to invest that anymore...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hate acronyms but if the CIM is is the casing between the steering wheel and the dashboard which contained the wiper lever and turn signal lever, I had mine replaced for around $500 parts and labor. It’s a common failure item on the 9-3 and contains the electronics that lock the steering wheel. A new one needs to be married to the car so whoever does it needs a Tech2 to do the repair

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
Thank you very much. I will ask my mechanic. I do not know any of these acronyms so I am just repeating what he said.
Do you have a website or something where this can be ordered? The difference between 1300$ and 500$ is just too huge. I hope I am not scammed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Eeuroparts.com is one supplier of Saab parts. I didn’t look to see what their current price is for the part. I don’t remember who my mechanic ordered it from but he did shop it around for the best price. Others can chime in on other parts suppliers. It’s easy to replace; not a lot of labor but you will need a mechanic with a Tech2

·
Registered
89 Posts
you are entering your 9-3 sedan from the year 2006?? You just exposed yourself as a time traveler!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts