SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved, and I'm living about 45 km from the nearest major radio hub (Toronto) and I get horrible reception on FM and AM (don't realy care about AM). I did a search on this and it seems that most people add a "bee-sting" style antenna. I really don't what to drill into my roof so I'd like to avoid that. I cleaned the paint behind the antenna mast bracket to get a better ground but most people say that's more a fix for AM reception issues.

Are there any good solutions or suggestions??

·
Registered
6,596 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
JohnnyD said:
Has anyone tried one of those in-line FM signal amplifiers?
Yes !
With a switch
Very effective in my old 900 with the "stub" mounted on the left rear wing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solution found!!
I bought a cheap FM signal amplifiers from the local parts store (Canadian Tire) for $15 CDN and spliced power from the cigarette lighter. It has an on/off switch (as per Earthworm) witch I just switched on, then I tucked it behind ACC control so that I could open the kick panel and access it.
WORKS AMAZING!! Best $15 ever!!

The only thig I don't get is why have an on/off switch??
Did you ever find a need to turn the amplifier off, Earthworm??

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Good question, I'd guess it allows one to better appreciate the improvement in reception - or if you hook it up to an always live outlet - then you would want to switch it off.

But this make little sense to me....I would wire it to the same lead as the ex power antenna...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spliced into the cigarette lighter power because it is an ignition on power not continuous power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts