SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was only supposed to replace the slave cylinder lol....but now I find myself replacing everything. Slave, Clutch etc......all brand knew.

That also includes the seal behind the flywheel.....how I do that without a 'special tool' I have no idea. That don't look like fun.

So flywheel is off.

Anyway, thinking ahead I have to put the flywheel back on once I have replaced the seal.

It seems that it is good practice to replace the flywheel bolts...which is fine but it seems nobody sells them. Great. LOL

So using the old bolts, what loctite do I put on them given that I have no choice but to use them again ? It is a contentious issue googling around.

Once again, thanks for those helping me sort out my clutch problem.

It is a learning experience but I am throughly enjoying it.

Just need a little help to get it all put back together.

·
Registered
12,609 Posts
Nobody replaces flywheel bolts, there's no need to (same with head bolts).
The Loctite's function is to prevent oil from creeping through the threads, any sealer will do.
Google opinions are not a good source of information on SAABs. Use the Factory manual you can find in the stickies above (which clearly says you don't have to replace head bolts).
Save your money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all.....I really could not see the problem of using the same bolts. They look perfectly fine to me.

Will check out the Permatex 56521.

Now...back to this crank seal (the one behind the flywheel).

Again lots of google opinions on this.

What is the problem here ?

You need a special tool. Or you can use a yogurt pot, margarine tub, coca cola bottle....the list goes on.

I liked this guys idea.

I don't get it.

What should I be be worried about.

It needs to go in evenly and flat I guess ???

Is that it ?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
as a small note/feedback.....
clean the threads...both the crank boss/hub and the bolts.....scrupulously.......before applying the thread sealant
One clutch rebuild (on the first 900....before kids came along) I performed years ago became many rebuilds after the new clutch developed judder rather quickly.
I thought I was doing enough to seal the threads bolts etc and torqued up nicely but oil still found it's way through to the clutch disc via the flywheel bolts.
An retired engine rebuilder gave me an hour of his time during this episode and only thing he did was clean the bolts and crank threads. He left me to rebuild the clutch (incl fresh thread sealant).....
Clutch improved......lesson learnt.
Now I'm always wary of bolts with sealant.....always cleaning the threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts