SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

As I was showing my friend my 9-3 she mentioned all the Dexcool issues that GM used to have with the V6's. (I actually know some victims of it. Actually, it turned out to be gasket problems, but that may be debateable, but either way...)

After a little research online, it sounds like you should flush your Dexcool every 3 years or so to prevent it from becoming corrosive.

Has anyone had any problems related to this? Do I really need to change it? My Arc is an '04 and I doubt it's ever been done.

-jason

·
Registered
499 Posts
The owner's manual says the coolant is lifetime coolant. Is that supposed to mean lifespan of the engine....until coolant failure? BMW, Mercedes, and others have lifetime coolant claims.

Other Dexcool-spec coolant recommend changing coolant at 150,000 miles or 5 years, whichever is first. For most people, that's 5 years. I would change the coolant at 5-6 years then every 5 years after that. Others might change it more often. I don't think it needs a yearly change like in past years. I am going to change mine this summer or next summer.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Has anyone had any problems related to this? Do I really need to change it? My Arc is an '04 and I doubt it's ever been done.

-jason
I did mine, I think it's prudent given that the new official recommendation for DexCool has gone from lifetime to 5 yrs.

I've also read that one of the most important things is not to mix types or old stuff with new stuff. Therefore, it's a good idea to do several fill/flush cycles with clean (best yet distilled) water.

I decided to do the thermostat at the same time, since I figured that after 5 years it was on borrowed time. I bought some fancy dexcool equivalent from eeuroparts.com, but I'm not sure whether it's better than the stuff at autozone.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I don't recall Dexcool being lifetime. It was always 5 years/100-150,000 miles.
Where was it marketed "lifetime"?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
^^^

I had thought it said so somewhere in the SAAB literature. But as always, 'lifetime' really means until the warranty has run out and the first owner has paid down the loan/lease.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
^^^

I had thought it said so somewhere in the SAAB literature. But as always, 'lifetime' really means until the warranty has run out and the first owner has paid down the loan/lease.
Ok I see--the Saab manual and lit perhaps. I do remember that. However Dexcool is not mentioned anywhere in Saab lit or manuals.
I'm guessing it is the same thing however...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did mine, I think it's prudent given that the new official recommendation for DexCool has gone from lifetime to 5 yrs.

I've also read that one of the most important things is not to mix types or old stuff with new stuff. Therefore, it's a good idea to do several fill/flush cycles with clean (best yet distilled) water.

I decided to do the thermostat at the same time, since I figured that after 5 years it was on borrowed time. I bought some fancy dexcool equivalent from eeuroparts.com, but I'm not sure whether it's better than the stuff at autozone.

Thanks for all the responses! Speaking of the thermostat, I don't have my WIS yet and was looking under the hood the other day and couldn't seem to locate it, any hints?

I saw what I think is the water pump below the power steering pump, but I didn't see what the thermo was.

-jason

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I saw what I think is the water pump below the power steering pump, but I didn't see what the thermo was.
I think the water pump is actually on the other side and driven by the timing chain.

There are some pictures in this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181226

Look at one of the last ones, where the vacuum pump is removed. It's got a little green mark on it. You can reach it without taking anything off, although it's hard to actually see. I think just a couple bolts hold it on.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I don't recall Dexcool being lifetime. It was always 5 years/100-150,000 miles.
Where was it marketed "lifetime"?
do a web dexcool search and there is a lot of past controversy on it's "Lifetime" guarantee.... there were several lawsuits, but it turns out it was a gasket quality problem... but surprise surprise, all of a sudden Dexcool wasn't lifetime anymore.... Like 0W40 went from 15 to 10....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the water pump is actually on the other side and driven by the timing chain.

There are some pictures in this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181226

Look at one of the last ones, where the vacuum pump is removed. It's got a little green mark on it. You can reach it without taking anything off, although it's hard to actually see. I think just a couple bolts hold it on.

Oh ok, I remember looking at that and thinking that it looked a little small for the thermo, yep, I remember exactly where that is, just down from the heater core hoses.

-jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts