SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with the expansion tank hoses for years, someone mentioned to try silicone hoses.

I found on EBay someone who sells a custom FluoroSilicone that fits my 06 Aero.

It’s more expensive that the OEM hose, but the OEM only lasted a few months before small leaks started developing.

I have only had it installed about 2 weeks, this one feels stronger than the OEM one.

Hopefully this is a final solution to this problem, have to wait a few months to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
DexCool contains organic acid salts (carboxylates): 2 ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA) salts and sebacates (salts of sebacic acids). In addition to use in OAT (organic acid technology) coolants, these chemicals are widely used as deplasticizers in manufactuing. Silicone resistance to these is considered to be only fair. Flurosilicone on the other hand has good resistance to them. Assuming your clamps are in good condition and torqued snugly, you should be good to go for a good long time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What clamps are you using on your hoses? They should be smooth shielded as if they are your standard worm drive and you over tighten they will leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What clamps are you using on your hoses? They should be smooth shielded as if they are your standard worm drive and you over tighten they will leak.
I have tried every possible clamp, didn’t help.

I live in a place that gets very hot during the summer months, close to 40c, it’s possible that the local climate contributes to the hose failure rate.

I have also has problems with the caps on the engine, they also fail and crack and have to replace them every 3-4 years.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you looked into some heat shielding to help protect things in the engine bay? Done this with reflective gold on some of the track cars that run super hot turbos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked into some heat shielding to help protect things in the engine bay? Done this with reflective gold on some of the track cars that run super hot turbos.
Tried this, didn’t work either.

Anything I tried that worked, only delayed the inevitable by a few months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts