SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a modified, high boost, '88 SPG with an oil and water cooled turbo. What is the best coolant? best engine oil (including viscosity)? and what are the best spark plugs? I know "best" is sorta relative...but what works well, what should I avoid?

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
249 Posts
For a modified, high boost, '88 SPG with an oil and water cooled turbo. What is the best coolant? best engine oil (including viscosity)? and what are the best spark plugs? I know "best" is sorta relative...but what works well, what should I avoid?

Thanks,
AJ
Best coolant? Color doesn't matter as much as age. If it hasn't been changed in 5+ years, change it.

Best oil? Synthetic, period. As for weight, look in the owners manual for temperature ranges. I'd say either 5w30 or 10w30 would be fine. And make sure to CHANGE IT ON TIME!!! there is nothing worse for that turbo and the bearings than 15,000 mile oil (well, total lack of oil could be worse :))

Best plugs?
Bentley says:

NA 1986-1988 : NGK BCP 6ES
alt: NGK BCP 6EV

NA 1989-1993 : NGK BCP 5ES

Normal Driving Turbo 1985-1993 : NGK BCP 7EV ( alt NGK BCP 7ES)

City Driving Turbo 1985-1993 : NGK BCP 6EV ( alt NGK BCP 6ES)
Avoid other brands of spark plugs. NGK is the ONLY plug that seems to work in this engine

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool...age is not a concern at this point, I bought the SPG knowing it had a bad gearbox so while the entire powertrain was out I put a head gasket on, resealed the engine, new chain and guides..clutch.....you get the picture. So I'm effectively starting over from new. Just wondering if there is a coolant that will survive the heat of the turbo better than others, or more importantly; any that won't.

So far its:

• Redline MTF in the Gearbox (don't know viscosity, getting from Paterson Performance (local SAAB indie))
  • Royal Purple 10w30 in the Engine
  • NGK BCP 6EV (alt NGK BCP 6ES) Spark Plugs
  • Coolant - Undecided

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I like dex cool
Dex cool works well in a system that was designed for it, but more importantly a system that is in perfect health. Once it starts mixing with air or other contaminants it goes caustic and can cause all kinds of problems.

Coolent isn't really like oil. The only thing one brand has to offer over another is corrosion resistance. They will all hold up to the heat from a turbo. The deciding factor isn't the coolent itself but the system that it is in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, guess I'll look to see which ones have the best corrosion resistance, seeing as my cooling system shows signs of electrolysis. <-Mainly on the end of the coolant tube that feeds the heater core.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts