SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had 15 straight days of rains, much of it heavy and my driveway slops down about 15*s

I started noticing a damp smell. About 2 weeks ago, I put Damp Rid behind the passenger seat and it did fill fairly quickly, but the smell is still there.

Yesterday I raised the tailgate and felt around. It is damp roughly 2 feet deep to the sides was/is damp.

I looked at the rubber seal, and it appears fine, although there was a small amount of debris, which I removed.

I also checked under the floor, which was also slightly damp and even by the spare tire.

It's sunny out so I raised the tailgate and floor above the tire so it can dry out

Is this simply a case of way too much rain?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I would check the sunroof drains. There are a couple that come out behind the wheelhouse in the wagon, and somewhere up front. (WIS will cover this.)

In addition, make sure that the cowl drains aren't obstructed. That would cause water to come in through the air intake instead of draining down through the rocker panels.

Do you see any tracks of water on the inside of the windows? If you have a cargo cover, do you seen any patches of water on it?

To answer your basic question, no, there shouldn't be "too much rain". The car should be properly sealed, and water caught in the sunroof, cowl, outside the door windows etc. all has provisions to be drained away.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Foam gaskets around the tail lights?

I had two centre brake lights leak, and it drips from one end of the transverse trim strip across the top of the tailgate glass. Its the rubber seal that goes on these.

Any stains on the ceiling liner?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

What is WIS?

No leaks through the windows that I see, but the cause is gone when I checked it

Checking the tail lights gave me an idea:

I THINK it could be the brake light near the top of the gate. I sealed it last year, and it's probably all dried out

·
Registered
721 Posts
15 days rain

I would buy a waterproof car cover or a tarp from Harbor frieght.
or put it in a garage.

I guess this is a car that is out in the FL sun and the seals are drying up etc....
not sure what year the estate is.

Give it a chance. We can list the obvious areas to check, but you are fighting the odds.

WIS is workshop information system. It installs on a win 10 computer and is free. Just search on this site or Google for download. You can also get an EPC which is an electronic parts catalog for Saab.

Welcome and good look

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I had a leak in the back of my 2000 wagon that was caused by the rubber weatherstripping at the top of the hatch not being seated correctly. It fits into a couple of grooves in the body, and part of has to be stretched a little to get it to fit properly on the edges. It's pretty obvious how it fits because of how everything is shaped. Mine had popped off at the edge, and it was letting water into the hatch. It dripped down the carpet on the side and soaked the hatch floor carpet. It would have much worse if I didn't have the rubber mat back there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Regarding the centre brake light, it leaks onto the transverse trim panel (five or six press clips) and then drops onto the load cover. There would have to be a heck of a lot to make its way below that, and it would be obvious on top of course.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Co-incidentally yesterday I noticed my third brake light was standing proud of the tailgate surface. Took it out and found this:-
20190904_191101.jpg

The perils of over-tightening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts