SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the second owner of a 96 900 convertible. It spent it's early life in OH with salty roads and clearly the top was down during "a few" rain storms. The rot from water being trapped under the padding for the carpet has finally morphed into some large holes (6"x6") in a couple of spots, so it's time to bite the bullet: cut out the rot, weld in some repair panels and then seal things up properly.

So here are some questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. Any idea what type steel and thickness was used in the original floor pans?
2. Anyone know of anyone supplying floor pans or floor pan repair panels for NG900s (could be something that I start making after this job - done a lot of work with dies and sheet metal pressing...)?
3. What is the elastomeric coating on the bottom of the car? Does anyone know what they sprayed on the bottom of the car?
4. Does anyone know what rust prevention was used by the factory when these car bodies were assembled?
5. Any references to the original NG900 body construction or processes would be helpful.

I'll try to post some pictures as this job progresses. Going to work on the two driver's side holes first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just patched up the holes in my '01 9-3 last month. The guy I paid to do the job cut out the rust and replaced it with metal from a 9-5 door panel. The coating underneath the car is the rustproofing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts