SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I have a 1992 900 S 16V N/A and it will not start becasue the engine is filling with gas, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator with one off a working car and the return line isn't clogged. But I still have the problem that when I crank the engine after a few seconds you can look at the exhaust y pipe and it's soaked in gas. I pulled the plugs and the cylinders are all full to the top with gas! What is going on? Anybody have this happen to them. The car broke down on the way to work one morning because of this. This has me completely baffled.

Thanks, Chip

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Sounds like you're not getting spark - check the coil, coil wire, distributor cap/rotor arm, etc, and also make sure everything is grounded.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew someone would say that:D I already checked that, I have a strong spark at all 4 cylinders. This is the weirdest thing ever to happen to me, and my only break down with a C900 ever.

Thanks, Chip

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Chips900S said:
I knew someone would say that:D I already checked that, I have a strong spark at all 4 cylinders.
You've really only got two options left, then...

1. The spark's coming at the wrong time
2. There's WAAAAAY too much fuel being injected.

Sounds to be more like the latter - you should be able to churn it for AAAAGES without it getting anywhere near that flooded.

I think I'd start by pulling an injector and make sure the fuel's only being injected in small bursts whilst the engine's being turned. Might be duff injectors not shutting off, might be a sensor or ECU gone south. It's unlikely to be all four injectors going south simultaneously.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
have you tried new injectors,or checked that they are opening and closing by the electrics system as if they are staying open it will flood.
try taking an injector(and elec connection, from the engine or get a spare injecter, and turn the engine over and see if it just keeps spraying or does it systematically as engine turns over, but put it in a clear bottle and tape it up (not 100%air tight but enough) so you can see what is happening without spraying petrol everywhere and having you own burnout,;oops: if it's continually fuel supply your electric box is probably duff, as it is not switching on/off for the injector so just pouring out fuel, even with spark there will be to much fuel to ignite, and after you have sorted this don't forget to change the oil, as a lot of petrol will have gone down the bores and thinned the oil so its f-in useless, then it will cost even more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://saabnet.com/tsn/bb/900/index.html?bID=348277

I've been reading into this more, seems like it could be coolant temp sensor mis-reading? I used a test light on the injector wiring and both wires light up with the key on but one of them makes the tester light very dim. and the other wire makes it bright. On my other 900 both injector wires make the tester light bright, could it be some resistance in the wiring somewhere?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
16Saabs, good idea, hadn't thought of that, will give it a try when it gets light out again. Thanks, Chip

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Chips900S said:
I've been reading into this more, seems like it could be coolant temp sensor mis-reading?
Easy enough to check. Pull the sensor, and check the resistance across a range of temperatures from "fresh out of fridge" to "just out of the pan of boiling water". Then check you've got good continuity and low resistance from sensor plug to ECU pins.

FWIW, I had the CTS go down on mine - yet it started and drove fine until it got a bit warmer than normal. Only real symptom was the CEL coming on as it started to warm up. No fault code logged - but there was a code when the light was on (but you won't be on Lucas, will you?)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Chips900S said:
My luck it'll end up being some bodgy wiring somewhere's
Easy enough to rule out - just make sure you've got good lives and earths at the ECU pins, and good low-resistance connections from pin to plug for each of the sensors etc.

If you haven't got a multimeter, now's your excuse to buy one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts