SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple cylinder random misfire (or something close to that). Swapped DIC's with a known good one and the light goes away.:) So I need a new DIC apparently. In the mean time I need to drive the car and I'm wondering if I'm risking more damage with the "flashing" CEL. The flashing is intermittent but the CEL is always on or flashing. I read in some other posts that a flashing CEL is indicative of a potential cat destroying problem.:roll: The car's performance seems unnaffected. TIA for your thoughts.:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I drove around like that for 3-4 weeks, the CEL would come on every few days. I assume unburned fuel will eventually ruin the cat converter, but it would take a long time for that to happen, unless the CEL is flashing constantly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well I have the V6, and the last time I had the CEL flashing at me (random misfire P0300, and P0301, P0303, P0305) I attempted to drive the car to the shop. Big mistake. First off I only went about 5 km before the car completely died (would not even start) with smoke bellowing out from under the car.

When the car rolled to a stop on the side of the road, and I looked underneath all I saw were two red hot CAT converters, and all I could hear was sizzling coming from inside them. Yep, I completely burned and distroyed my converters because I didn't stop the car when the CEL was flashing, telling me not drive the car, stupid (me). Cost me $800 to replace the converters. But my story relates to the V6, don't know how sensitive the I4 engines are to a misfire.

My recommendations, don't drive the car with a flashing CEL, just shut it off and fix it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have some experience here but it was not on a Saab. I had a Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6. I sold it and decided to clean it before delivery. I sprayed the engine down a few minutes before they picked it up. About 2 miles from my house they called and said the CEL was flashing. I told them to stop and I'd come get them. They said not to worry about it they would look at it when they got home. OK by me... but I explained that I probablygot a coil-on-plug (COP) wet. The next evening they called me from Orlando to say that they drove it 700 miles to Disney World when they left my house in Atlanta. It was now broken down and they wanted to know what I was going to do about it... Long story even longer... they had it towed and it had 2 of the 6 COPS were bad and the Catalytic Converters (all 3 of them) were shot because of it. I paid for the coils and leftthe rest for them to cover. They said it was $1800 in repairs....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts