SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Saab newbie! Picked up a 01 Viggen on Craig's List and now enjoying this fine car and each day I try to fix a minor thing or two that a ten year old car would have. I'd thought I would create a list of the things that I need to fix and if any of you out there would like to share your expertise, helpful hints, pictures, links to other forums, diagrams and just generally chime in, please feel free! I'm a do-it-yourself guy!

Listed below are my issues! (No not personal issues, as my wife might say!) My Viggen's issues. Is "Issues" the correct term for problems with Saab's, because when I bought my first boat, everyone of the boats I looked at the owners point out the "Issues" that boat had or didn't have anymore?

My Viggen's "Issues."

1. Driver's side headlight wiper has a 50/50 chance of returning to the correct position! It looks moronic and drives me nuts! - Status not fixed!;oops:

2. Hole in the drivers side headlight lens. What's the best/cheapest source? Ebay has them for $58 plus not shipping around $70 total! - Status not fixed!

3. Lower Windscreen Molding - The black plastic piece that goes from the bottom of the windshield, that goes over the wiper posts and under the front hood. It is just floating around at the top where it meats the bottom of the wind shield. Are there some clips that have broken? Status - Just starting to poke around this one!

4. Right Rear Speaker Grill - rattles and resonates causing my my 7 year old daughter to say "Daddy that's annoying." Status - Not fixed, but soon probably today!

5. Right Front Speaker Grill -This was my first fix. Thank you to the wonderful posts descriptions and PDF files with pictures. Bought my first Torx head socket set on this one! This fix, one of the plastic posts had broken off and the previous owner had some how managed to get the speaker grill off, with the small brass clips still attached to the grill. Once the door panel was removed, then I used instant CA glue to temporarily attach the broken plastic post on the grill, then mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and micro-balloons to create a thick paste that I used to strengthen the base of the post. Reattached the brass clips on the backside of the door panel, with the exception of one clip that was damaged, so I used some hot glue and the broken clip and filed the void where the post from the speaker grill protrudes through the back of the door panel. Status - Fixed

6. SID 2 - Fading Pixels - I am currently working on this problem. I have removed the unit twice now and disassembled it and currently using the ballpoint pen method of fixing the ribbon cable connection at the circuit board. By running a ballpoint pen along with a ruler back and forth over connectors many of the connections are now reestablished! Status - Some success abut 90% of pixels are back! Probably going to pull out again when I loose to many pixels!

I think that's it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
7. Windshield Molding on the bottom is loose on the passenger side. The rubber strip, is coming off. I'm going to use a my heat gun to soften up the rubber strip and to reactivate the glue.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Welcome to the forums 100! There is certainly a huge amount of useful info available here. I hope you've discovered the search function already - you'll be encouraged to use it!

Here's a few answers to get you started:

1. This is a known issue. The headlight wipers operate with the windshield washers and sometimes they don't park properly. Giving the windshield washers a longer squirt rather than a quick one may help. If the headlight wiper is totally inoperative there are a few threads dealing with fixing the motor.

2. eBay is probably best. You could also think about getting eCode lenses which will give you a better light pattern but they're expensive - about $130.

3. It's not actually very well fixed. There should be a thin weatherstrip that the top locates into.

The rest of it you seem to have a handle on. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixes

Ian,

Thanks for the heads up on the headlight wipers! I'll keep that in mind, the next time I give them a squirt!

Headlight - I'll give the ecode lights a look up! I did find the glass replacement glass units on ebay, should I stay away from these?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm a Saab newbie! Picked up a 01 Viggen on Craig's List and now enjoying this fine car and each day I try to fix a minor thing or two that a ten year old car would have. I'd thought I would create a list of the things that I need to fix and if any of you out there would like to share your expertise, helpful hints, pictures, links to other forums, diagrams and just generally chime in, please feel free! I'm a do-it-yourself guy!

Listed below are my issues! (No not personal issues, as my wife might say!) My Viggen's issues. Is "Issues" the correct term for problems with Saab's, because when I bought my first boat, everyone of the boats I looked at the owners point out the "Issues" that boat had or didn't have anymore?

My Viggen's "Issues."

1. Driver's side headlight wiper has a 50/50 chance of returning to the correct position! It looks moronic and drives me nuts! - Status not fixed!;oops:

2. Hole in the drivers side headlight lens. What's the best/cheapest source? Ebay has them for $58 plus not shipping around $70 total! - Status not fixed!

3. Lower Windscreen Molding - The black plastic piece that goes from the bottom of the windshield, that goes over the wiper posts and under the front hood. It is just floating around at the top where it meats the bottom of the wind shield. Are there some clips that have broken? Status - Just starting to poke around this one!

4. Right Rear Speaker Grill - rattles and resonates causing my my 7 year old daughter to say "Daddy that's annoying." Status - Not fixed, but soon probably today!

5. Right Front Speaker Grill -This was my first fix. Thank you to the wonderful posts descriptions and PDF files with pictures. Bought my first Torx head socket set on this one! This fix, one of the plastic posts had broken off and the previous owner had some how managed to get the speaker grill off, with the small brass clips still attached to the grill. Once the door panel was removed, then I used instant CA glue to temporarily attach the broken plastic post on the grill, then mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and micro-balloons to create a thick paste that I used to strengthen the base of the post. Reattached the brass clips on the backside of the door panel, with the exception of one clip that was damaged, so I used some hot glue and the broken clip and filed the void where the post from the speaker grill protrudes through the back of the door panel. Status - Fixed

6. SID 2 - Fading Pixels - I am currently working on this problem. I have removed the unit twice now and disassembled it and currently using the ballpoint pen method of fixing the ribbon cable connection at the circuit board. By running a ballpoint pen along with a ruler back and forth over connectors many of the connections are now reestablished! Status - Some success abut 90% of pixels are back! Probably going to pull out again when I loose to many pixels!

I think that's it!
I must off missed the part where you were looking for recommendations for fluids plugs, maintenance issue, coolant hoses, etc :).

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixing stuff yourself!

good for you speedy.I do all my own owk. I could never afford the car if I had to pay a mechanic!
I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who is Porsche "Technician" who is very knowledgeable on our cars too and a buddy who owns a service station, so I can throw it up on a hoist!

Funny you should call me Speedy! That's my Nickname in our Cessna 150 Flying club! Seems I got pulled over "Speeding" with the Shuttle Van (15 Passenger) at our National Cessna 150 convention. My user name 100mileperhour is the cruise speed of our airplane!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts