SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I have a new 'to me' 2.1 sedan which is about to go on the road after some months sorting out stuff, I've been thinking about the antenna.

For all the nice things about prestige cars, power antennas have always been a 'hate' of mine. Even in our Saab's. They are noisy, fugly, and a place for water to get in where it shouldn't.

When I had my red 89 hatchback until 2011, I'd fitted a fixed antenna to it to replace the power one. No problems. No water leakage issues.

Given that I tend to use a USB stick more for music when driving and hardly ever listen to AM or FM radio, I'm considering either deleting the power antenna altogether and plugging off the hole (to make it look discrete) or possibly trying to work out a new fixed antenna solution.

Has anyone done anything like this recently? The fixed antenna I tracked down for the old (RIP since 2011) 3 door hatchback was a good quality one but I don't recall any details.

Are there any small 'sharkfin' type antennas that are consistent with the look of a c900? Heaps of Bimmers use that sort of antenna.

A quick hunt on Ebay shows up this product for a fixed (not sharkfin) antenna which is similar to the sort of thing I had on my old 3ck:

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Can't say I've had much in the way of problems with the power antenna. Replace the mast, grease the insides, repeat in 10-15 years. IME fixed antennas are a pain... they get stuck in the car wash, vandals make an example out of them for being so pointy, and in a wind you just might close it in the hatch.

I would personally never put a modern styling element like a shark fin on an '80s car, but an '80s euro Fuba would work,

·
Registered
211 Posts
The early eighties SAABs had a very nice fixed antenna with the SAAB logo. The mast easily screwed off if necessary. Perhaps try to find a used one of those.

I myself prefer the power antenna as I use a car cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't lose the power antenna.

On mine the power antenna only comes up when I switch to radio. So for other media it stays down.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the Alpine 9886 head unit i recently fitted to replace the old original Saab OEM (Eurovox) one does that too - only activates the antenna 'enable' wire in AM or FM modes. So what's the best way to maintain/service a power antenna as I don't think the one in my car has actually had a lot of love (but as it's a 'normally concealed' thing it's probably out of sight out of mind).

Craig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts