SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I decided to do some testing on the plastic that seem to be peeling inside my car.
This fix will only work on parts of the interior that do not have lettering cut into it.
So I stopped by the store and purchased a can of this stuff
I got the black spray on type. I have to tell you I tested it out on an old computer part that was made of hard plastic. I was surprised at the results and decided to pop off my rear inside door handles and see what was up.
They where peeling big time and look like sh_i_t.. I figure anything I did couldn't make it worst.

So this is how it went:

Step 1)
Start removing the old crap that is already peeling.

Make sure you take all that stuff off..It will take about 2 beers to get through it if you are quick.

Step 2)
Start sanding the areas where you have removed the crap that has been pissing you off because it peels just from looking at it....

I used one of those sponges that is used for sanding wood...works great

After you have decided you are done sanding remember to prepare the surface for the new plastic coating.

I just washed it of in the sink with dish soap, rinsed well and dried

Step 3) Spraying on Plastic Coating
I practiced on another piece of plastic to make sure I wasn't going to make it run or just make a mistake applying it.

The first coat is going to look shiny and really like ****...

I was in a hurry to see what was going to be the final result so I used a butane torch from a distance to speed up the drying process:cheesy:
If you are like me be careful

You will need about two more coats to get it right. You will notice that around the second coat the plastic will start to get like a texture that feels and looks kind of satiny.

The third coat should do the trick and you will see a really nice even finish that will feel and look way better.

I tried to scratch the stuff on my practice piece and it was very durable

I am very happy with the results.I am looking at the other part of the interior peeling and figuring out how to remove them!!!

So look at this before and after pic......

They they have a clear spray on can that I was thinking I could use over the button with the letter....I will have to see ;)

Hope this helps somebody

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
A long term test would be nice. Maybe a preliminary result in a year?

I push the buttons very gently and very carefully. If my finger seems the least bit moist (assuming that sweat may be hard on the coating, at least according to one salesman), I'll use my DIP joint (one of the joints in your finger) to push it.

After 2.5 years of having my car, all the buttons seem ok. The driver's door handle has a faint trace of wear. This might be too much trouble to remove and recoat.

I wonder how the spray is at preventative wear, i.e. adding a layer before much wear shows?

·
Super Moderator
20,348 Posts
win-low said:
Step 2)
Start sanding the areas where you have removed the crap that has been pissing you off because it peels just from looking at it....
That had me LMAO.

I'll have to give this a try one day. Thanks for the write-up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
FANTASTIC job mate:cool:

thnx for the detailed info.

one question for you.

can u try spraying the test piece with some polisher for plastics?......i do like the satine effect but i would prefer to combine the modded handles with the interiior of the 93 that is less roughy looking than that satine result.

sorry for bad english.
hope u get us some more pictures and congrats again for ur effort:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
greekfragma said:
FANTASTIC job mate:cool:

thnx for the detailed info.

one question for you.

can u try spraying the test piece with some polisher for plastics?......i do like the satine effect but i would prefer to combine the modded handles with the interiior of the 93 that is less roughy looking than that satine result.

sorry for bad english.
hope u get us some more pictures and congrats again for ur effort:)
What do you mean by polisher for plastic?...Armor All or that silicone based stuff to make it shinny???

Thanks for checking it out it took me a while to post because of the beers I had while I was doing it...:D

·
Registered
485 Posts
i mean the protecting coating spray that gives a less satine result when its applied above a satine surface and polishes a bit:)
(dont recall the exact word in english)

p.s. beers only when modding the car....never when driving it:cheesy:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Amazing write-up and "gumption", for lack of a better term :cool:

" Share your knowledge, it's a way to achieve Immortality. " :cheesy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
PLasti-Dip vs. Plasti-Spray

I have been searching on line to find the best way of doing this for the last 3 weeks and wasnt going to post untill I found a good solition. This seems to be about the only product I have been able to find. I ordered a can of the spray. I am still playing around trying out differnt ways to apply it and not excided about the results :confused:. I have been looking at the manufactors' other products and I am going to try the Plasti-Dip as soon as I go pick some up, I would thinnk it would have a much smoother "factory" look then the spray. the bad part it that I am going to have to get a big enough bin of it to be able to dip the larger trim pieces. I'll let you guys know about the dip as soon as I find some locally in black unless someone beats me to it.

lol they have colors if you want to be one of those colored dash people :roll: (please don't) pass that on to the honda and dodge neon forum! :cheesy:

There web page is:
http://www.plastidip.com/

Products available and where there available:
The Home Depot Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Vyna Bond
Lowe's Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray Wal-Mart Liquid Tape
Menards Plasti Dip
VLP
Super Grip Do It Best Hardware Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape Ace Hardware Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Super Grip Harbor Freight Tools Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape Mills Fleet Farm Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape CarQuest Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
Liquid Tape Murray's Discount Auto Plasti Dip
Liquid Tape Camping World VLP
Vyna Bond

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Columbus2.0t said:
I have been searching on line to find the best way of doing this for the last 3 weeks and wasnt going to post untill I found a good solition. This seems to be about the only product I have been able to find. I ordered a can of the spray. I am still playing around trying out differnt ways to apply it and not excided about the results :confused:. I have been looking at the manufactors' other products and I am going to try the Plasti-Dip as soon as I go pick some up, I would thinnk it would have a much smoother "factory" look then the spray. the bad part it that I am going to have to get a big enough bin of it to be able to dip the larger trim pieces. I'll let you guys know about the dip as soon as I find some locally in black unless someone beats me to it.

lol they have colors if you want to be one of those colored dash people :roll: (please don't) pass that on to the honda and dodge neon forum! :cheesy:

There web page is:
http://www.plastidip.com/

Products available and where there available:
The Home Depot Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Vyna Bond
Lowe's Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray Wal-Mart Liquid Tape
Menards Plasti Dip
VLP
Super Grip Do It Best Hardware Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape Ace Hardware Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Super Grip Harbor Freight Tools Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape Mills Fleet Farm Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
VLP
Liquid Tape CarQuest Plasti Dip
Plasti Dip Spray
Liquid Tape Murray's Discount Auto Plasti Dip
Liquid Tape Camping World VLP
Vyna Bond
I have used the other Plasti-dip stuff and it is too thick to get an even coat. I think your best bet is going to be the can, I would think that adding coats would help in the final finish....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
thanks for the DIY!

Does anyone know if you can pull off the rotary knobs on the manual climate control? I'd hate to try and tape it and risk overspray internally.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
swa5000 said:
That looks great! Is that difference in shade that noticeable in real life, though?
No it is not...it is just a bit difference in texture but you will really have to look at it....Eventually that other piece will also get the spray...

I look 1 million times better that what it was

·
Registered
66 Posts
robhurlburt said:
thanks for the DIY!

Does anyone know if you can pull off the rotary knobs on the manual climate control? I'd hate to try and tape it and risk overspray internally.
The answer is Yes! I just pulled mine. Now after opening the Mcc up I have found the best way to do so. Sorry my camera isnt here at the house so no pictures as of this moment. To do so you need to remove the face plate (face only) from the control unit. Each knob is attached with 4 Quadrant clips around the center shaft of the control (thus the reason to remove the face so the clips dont break). Snap them out, then there is the light ring on the inside o the knob that you can remove so your knobs will still have the white lit indicator on it. and your ready for the spray!

On a side note i played around with the spray can and if you spray it heavier the texture becomes more smooth like the factory finish and is a closer match. I reccomend this spray and it really works great!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for the write up and posting the pics...It looks good..like you say.. a million times better than when it was trashed. I have noticed mine getting more and more chipped..I've pinpointed it down to a ring my wife wears on her right hand.
I've instructed her (asked her politely) to just use her finger tips to close the door instead of gripping the 'door pull' with her clenched fist (it's normal contractual position :roll: ) to prevent any further problems.... but as she doesn't listen to a word I say it's nice to know that I may be able to sort this out with a spray can or two.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts