SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i mentioned this in another thread but i want to know how to get the buttons in the rear headrests on the '02 sedan to snap back into place. one day the headrests were down and i went to put one of them up and the button just flew out the side! :eek: :lol: so now both headrests have the buttons just sitting in them and not really attached (one of the headrests i cant even push the button in anymore; im afraid ill snap it before it unlatches) and i was wondering how to get them to pop back in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Flying Buttons

OK, so I know SAABS are born from jets and all but I really hate it when the buttons from the rear headrests fly out and they won't go back in.....

Any one have the fix????

By the way, Hello all. I just bought my first saab in 10 years (owned 5 before that). I have been driving toyota trucks, mostly a tundra for the last 10 years but, decided to go back to a beater pickup and a more fuel efficent car to help with the gas bill.

I was looking for a vw tdi but couldn't find one and came across a good deal on an 02 aero with 90k that I couldn't pass up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is interesting. The rear headrest buttons in mine stopped working shortly after I got the car. It was still under warranty so the dealer fixed it for free.

It took a while as they had to order the entire rear headrest in for each one that was broken. In mine the button hadn't come out but it just didn't work. That one part necessitated the replacement of each of the three headrests.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've never had a button fly off or out but I've had one get stuck. I fixed it but it wasn't exactly easy.

First thing, fold the seat down and then remove the headrest completely. It is held in place with 1 or 2 torx screws which came out easily. Once you have the assembly out it is much easier to work on.

Next, you have to pull the leather off. This was the hard part. The leather cover is held in place by a channel inside the headrest. There is a plastic edge affixed to the leather that curls into the head rest. If you work from one end or the other (where the posts enter the headrest) you can gently pry it out. it is somewhat flexible but be careful.

Then, you have to pull the leather cover off the headrest. This is not easy either. I swear they sewed the cover on right over the foam but it does come off. Once you have it off, it's easy to figure out what is wrong with you head rest.

I don't know about buttons coming off but for my stuck button, it was a problem with the release lever. I had to bend it a bit to get it to operate better.

Next, try to get the leather cover back on. This is also hard. You may notice a thin slip sheet that covers the padding on the head rest when you take it off. Don't lose this. It helps the leather cover slip over the foam without tearing it or binding.

Not an easy project. Probably took me 20 minutes but I was being careful.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts