SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i've been on here a couple times about the new 99 9-5 i recently purchased a month ago. It's got 179,678 on the clock and i got a great deal on it. The newest roadblock i've walked into with the car is very deffinate signs of a shot headgasket ive got white smoke from the tail pipe and milky ooze of death coming from up front the block. my question is with this many miles and the the added price of a bad water pump as well do you think i should fix this or go for a used motor ? please i'd appreciate any feedback because i really have fell in love with this car and don't wanna sell it =?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you try retorqueing the head bolts? And as for replaceing the motor there would be several things to consider before doing so. 1. Is there any signs of sludge or neglect. 2. Do you have a service history for the car?. 3. The total cost. My 99 9-5 has 220,000 on it and has always been cared for. In my case i would repAir instead of replace. But i know the car has bee always cared for. Hope this helps you decide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you do decide to fix it it would also be a good time to install the pcv update if you don't have it already.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i have the car fax and all the paper work that came with the car but i honestly don't think it was taken care of too well. The reason saying so is that their is many little things left undone inside and out. and the motor doesn't feel as healthy as it should even with 179 on the clock. i will try to see if its just a tighting issue but i'm going to bring it in to a mechanic for a bigger job like this because i don't wanna hurt her trying to tend to her.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you are paying someone, I would just do the head.
otherwise you are going into the 1000s of $$ and might as well just buy a parts car or one without problems.
The main issue with a used motor is you dont know if it was maintained or not.
A new motor is a lot of money, but would also be real nice.

·
Registered
867 Posts
my mechanic quoted me 700 dollars for installation. of the new motor does that seem fair?
Sounds fair to me. not really sure if you could find it for less...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hope so, he is a quality mechanic with tons of business and customers also is all euro so im sure he will install without problems also the motor he found and is only 1.2k for 80 thousand miles and all components included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts