SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just tired of the forum search excluding words less that 4 characters - like oil, air, dim.

I tried a search on 'dashboard lights dim'. I got everything except some hits on 'dim'.

My dash lights are too dim sometimes (headlights off). It's as if the sensor is reading the ambient light level too high.

Anyways, does anyone else have such a problem with the dash lights?

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
rsovitzky said:
I'm just tired of the forum search excluding words less that 4 characters - like oil, air, dim.
Yeah, searching for 3 character words is a major limitation in most forum software :(

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
I think our man from Wisconsin has some kind of automatic dash lights using a sensor..

I think they are going too far with this stuff..How hard is it for a man to operate a simple manual control ??
It would be far better to have switches that work, well and long.... not junky unrelieable ,un-necessary electronics..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
rsovitzky said:
My dash lights are too dim sometimes (headlights off). It's as if the sensor is reading the ambient light level too high.
You could test that by covering the sensor with something slightly opaque to make it think its darker than it is?

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point: I covered it with some paper and the dash lights dimmed down. Shazaam!

But in the morning, around 7am, the lights are way too dim. ???

I think I'll try 'cleaning' the sensor, now that I know the dimmer the light is OUTSIDE, the dimmer the dash lights want to be.

I agree with earthworm, even though I am from WI and almost 60, I can still handle controlling the lights myself.

What the heck is the +/- dimmer switch for then?

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Do you realise how many hits you'd get if you could search over 1 million posts for three letters that could appear on their own or within a word :eek:

Sorry but you will have to be more creative like searching "dash" perhaps :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With respect...that's ridiculous! Who says the search engine HAS to find all occurences BURIED in a word?

OK, how many hits would it find with 'dim' and 'lights'?

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
rsovitzky said:
With respect...that's ridiculous!
Ok friend....................sorry :confused:

I'll get me coat and go back to the 9-5 room :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Do you realise how many hits you'd get if you could search over 1 million posts for three letters that could appear on their own or within a word :eek:

Sorry but you will have to be more creative like searching "dash" perhaps :confused:
Maybe substring searching is an advanced feature I didn't know existed, but if you search for "ligh" in titles, you'll only get 2 hits.. search for "light" and you'll get MANY more. So I don';t think substrings are the issue.

MySQL uses 4 letter searches by default, but that can be reconfigured to 3 easily.

Mike

PS. (yes I have run websites and spent countless hours modifying forums software, muching around in perl and php)


PPS. I suspect we are branching into some form of lounge topic here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
zim2dive said:
Maybe substring searching is an advanced feature I didn't know existed, but if you search for "ligh" in titles, you'll only get 2 hits.. search for "light" and you'll get MANY more. So I don';t think substrings are the issue.

MySQL uses 4 letter searches by default, but that can be reconfigured to 3 easily.

Mike

PS. (yes I have run websites and spent countless hours modifying forums software, muching around in perl and php)


PPS. I suspect we are branching into some form of lounge topic here.
You could PM Admin and tell them how to do it if you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK - one more comment and I'll quit :D

Google can handle 'dim' without returning dimmer, dimming, dime, etc.

I must imagine that forum members would find it very handy to specify 'oil', or 'air', etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
rsovitzky said:
My dash lights are too dim sometimes (headlights off). It's as if the sensor is reading the ambient light level too high.

Anyways, does anyone else have such a problem with the dash lights?
Rick
I can guarantee that if your dash lights were bright when your headlights were off all the time you would be complaining that you were forever driving around at twilight thinking your headlights were on and you were sick of other motorists 'flashing' you. This use to happen to me in an old Astra GTE with a LCD dash that was bright all the time.

Your dash lights are dim because the sensor believes that the level of ambient light is low enough to justify you driving with your headlights on....Turn your lights on and the dash lights will be brighter...I agree that it can be a little over enthusiastic !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[Boy I feel cantacerous lately]

I can guarantee that if your dash lights were bright when your headlights were off all the time you would be complaining that you were forever driving around at twilight thinking your headlights were on and you were sick of other motorists 'flashing' you

That's silly! Guarantee? Funny how I got along for 45 years quite well before this dimming thing.

Your dash lights are dim because the sensor believes that the level of ambient light is low enough to justify you driving with your headlights on....Turn your lights on and the dash lights will be brighter...I agree that it can be a little over enthusiastic !!

'the sensor believes'? Who cares? That's like the weatherman saying fair to partly cloudy and it's raining! FACT: daylight negated need for headlights, but dash lights barely discernible. Since Saab machine might just be in error now and then, it should be correctable by a lowly human.

Thank you very much...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top