SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fitted front parking sensors to a 95 Aero MY05? The SAAB's long nose worries my wife she is terrified of dinging it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've thought of doing this many times actually. If you sourced a set of parking sensors it should be trivial to splice the wiring into the existing. Biggest issue would be find and routing it properly, and drilling the holes in the front bumper with a hole saw. The parking sensors are pressure fit so they *should* pop right in an appropriately-sized hole. Measure thrice though, b/c once you drill those holes there is no going back! ;ol;

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drilling the holes!!

Good advice about drilling those holes, it's what bothers me the most about fitting the sensors. I've decided to take the bumper off in December when I'm not working and have a long hard look at it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It's pretty easy to get the rear ones out from underneath the car. Pop one out and measure that hole so you'll know what size hole saw to buy for the drill. MY 9-5 is an '03 Aero but I did the '04/'05 Aero front bumper swap shortly after getting the car so I know exactly what it looks like. The matte bumper strips on our bumper are not removable. It's all one piece, but that part is textured. That's actually a good thing because all you need to do is go straight in with the whole saw thru without worrying about damaging any clips that would normally hold those strips in. I think it will look nice and be a treat once functional!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Model Year

·
Registered
594 Posts
-.- That's just pointless.... I Mean seriously. Is there any one on here REALLY dumb enough to think its a 1995 SAAB 05? Putting MY in front of 05 is needless.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I am.
You can call me stupid, but I need MY for many reasons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's pretty easy to get the rear ones out from underneath the car. Pop one out and measure that hole so you'll know what size hole saw to buy for the drill. MY 9-5 is an '03 Aero but I did the '04/'05 Aero front bumper swap shortly after getting the car so I know exactly what it looks like. The matte bumper strips on our bumper are not removable. It's all one piece, but that part is textured. That's actually a good thing because all you need to do is go straight in with the whole saw thru without worrying about damaging any clips that would normally hold those strips in. I think it will look nice and be a treat once functional!
Thanks for the info re the matte bumper strip. When I have finished fitting the sensors I will attach photo's.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I wonder how rugged the sensors are. They don't get a lot of gravel or crud thrown at them when they're on the back. On the front, they may get damaged in short order. Although, sounds like you won't be driving in any snowstorms. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder how rugged the sensors are. They don't get a lot of gravel or crud thrown at them when they're on the back. On the front, they may get damaged in short order. Although, sounds like you won't be driving in any snowstorms. :p
They certainly don't look that robust, my approach is to fit them and see what happens. No snow, and seldom on dirt roads. I will report back once they are up and running.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Has anybody fitted front parking sensors to a 95 Aero MY05? The SAAB's long nose worries my wife she is terrified of dinging it.
Pretty easy to do. I bought a kit on ebay for maybe 200.00 or so with a screen. Mounted the screen on the dash. Kit came with the hole saw and template where to drill. Attach the 4 sensors run them to display. Connect display to 12v source with key on. That about it. Only bad part is when it snows and they get covered the sound is annoying and wont turn off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts