SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I can't find a YT video to help me so I hope someone can assist me here?
I want to replace my standard steering wheel with airbag for a smart looking aftermarket Nardi brand.
I've got as far as removing the old wheel and airbag but I'm at loss about removing the connectors and the plastic horn contact ring behind it?
Does the plastic unit come out as a whole exposing a mounting plate behind it which also has to be removed? Behind that I assume there's a copper ring for the horn contact to swivel on on right?
Do the standard hubs or boss replacement kits cater for classics with airbags?
Are the turn signal/dipswitch indicators affected in the removal ?
Any assistance will greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Nope... the clockspring is both the detonator for the airbag and the horn. There is no separate contact ring. Removing the clockspring is done by removing two screws, then removing the entire clockspring as a unit. Positioning on the clockspring is CRITICAL or you will get an SRS fault or physical damage, so you need to keep the relationship between the two halves of the clockspring when doing anything with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jvanabra thanks for your quick reply
OK I get that much - there's two halves to the clock spring and it comes out as a unit.
I've just seen another thread on here about someone else swapping his air bagged wheel for a non airbag type.
Apparently I have to change the steering column?? Is there any way around that?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Not if you want to keep the horn. There is simply no provision for a contact ring on airbag equipped cars. You might be able to fabricate something, maybe by using the clock spring itself, but I've personally never seen that done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dammit! I'll have a look to see if I can thread a wire out to a separate switch on he dash otherwise it's a trip to the breakers.
Cheers..

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
In the US, it would be a $10,000 fine to disable a safety system and the car would then be illegal to sell until the system was restored.
I hope it's a real pretty wheel.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
You need upper bearing, stalk holder and horn carbon brush.
Remember to remove airbag box under instrument cluster (and remove airbag light bulb). Remove also frontal crash sensors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Airbag box under instrument cluster? Is there a picture of it I can reference somewhere?
To be honest I'm not sure what the law says over here about SRS, but with this car now 27 years old I doubt they're bothered. Bigger concerns with emissions, road worthiness and potential risks to other road users. Wheel attached. Going in car below if I find a column and more importantly .. the time and the energy!
Nardi21.jpg
Nardig.jpg
LHD Ruby 4.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually it's rarer than that technically speaking - it's a "Swedish Special Edition" which I picked up in Gothenburg, Sweden years ago on holiday and shipped it back to England. Only 15 of them (LHD) were ever made, (8 for the Swedish market and 7 more were scattered in the rest of Europe). 150 RHD versions were imported into the UK called the 'Ruby' of which none had airbags. The SSE has electric front seats too (leather) with Zegna wool inserts. The 'Ruby' has same but standard rails.
I'm not throwing the old wheel away - I just fancy a change but if it proves too much trouble I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, any vote for interior shots here too, plus that Nardi wheel is gorgeous, May I ask where you bought it from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Here's some shots of the interior - I need a new gear knob! I've got a brand new rear seat and front covers all with Zegna wool as spare. Driver's side front will need restoring soon.
I decided to keep the original wheel with airbag. Too much fiddling around removing the steering column and all the rest of it for cosmetic purposes,but more importantly I tried the wheel on an older car without airbag which was a simple swap. Despite its looks it didn't feel that good on the road. I've returned it to the seller in Germany. He may have sold it on but I'll find out if you want one. They were common on BMW E30's.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
That's a really pretty car, and I really like those seats. In 2002, the 9-3 was available with mixed material seats and they are among the best seats I've used... unfortunately the SE model, which is the one you actually want, had full leather seats. Really too bad!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!
BTW I discovered that 'pretty wheel' is actually fake. I looked up the serial number on the Nardi website and discovered it's not one of theirs - fake serial number :mad: Glad I got my money back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the link for checking the integrity of Nardi Steering wheels
The old variety with wooden rims should be OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts