SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to play with my CSE LPT I've thought about fitting a boost gauge, I've done a search for how these are hooked up but most of the threads are really old so the photos have gone.

Where does it get the pressure reading from, has any one got a photo or a diagram I can look at.

Also from what I've been reading here, would just a ECU upgrade be the first step in going to a FPT from what I have, and can I get one second hand out of a same year full turbo.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You need to run a hose as follows:

Tap into a vacum hose w/ t-piece behind intake manifold.

Run hose thru firewall under battery, thru 3" removable rubber plug, located behind glove box or airbag; must remove to gain access.

Remove radio/acc control and or ashtry to gain access; pull hose thru, this will reach if you are adding a DIN plate replacing a cubbyhole, might need to remove dash top if going further.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Boost Gauge

I took an analog clock info display and removed the clock. i then installed the gauge into the hole where the clock was and ran my line as described,it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got the stage one upgrade from my LPT and it's definitely worth it! :cheesy:

Then I added a standard Saab boost gauge from an FPT into my instrument binnacle. It was pretty straightforward bar one bit.

One your LPT there should be a metal nipple on the manifold somewhere near the firewall - it's probably got a plastic shroud on it. Put the hose on this, then remove the aquarium cover and thread the hose through the firewall using the channels provided near the suspension strut top on the driver's side (RHD UK car). Thread the hose back across the car to about where the passenger wiper motor is, and you'll find another nipple to attach to.

Inside the cabin, remove the dash top (quite easy once you work out where that last attachment is if you've got a passenger airbag - it's behind the "SRS" moulding which just levers out). I removed the instrument binnacle and took it apart, substituting my scrapyard FPT boost/temp/fuel gauge for my original LPT one. Refit the needles carefully, or you'll find (as I did ;oops: ) that your fuel gauge reads "optimistically"! Refit the binnacle.

Now the hard part. Run another section of hose from the gauge back to the other side of the nipple that protrudes through this side of the bulkhead. If you don't want to remove the passenger airbag you need to be a bit of a contorsionist and handy with a small mirror, but it's less effort than removing the airbag. Attach to the nipple et voila!

With regard to ECU upgrades, I believe you need to be a bit careful about just swapping them over as if your car has the Saab VSS alarm/immobiliser you might encounter some problems [a boffin will no doubt be along soon to refresh my memory whether that's true or not]. I decided to order the full stage one upgrade and not have to worry about such matters. It took an incompetent like me no time at all to fit.:cool:

absgt
1997 9000 2.3 LPT Anniversary auto - stage one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts