SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first 900 was a 1980 GLE. I loved the unmolested body shape, the chrome and the overall engineering. Despite it being an auto, it drove well and was more than the sum of its parts. The black impact bumpers were ugly - no two ways about it. I much preferred the clean look of the earlier 99s and wondered if you could fit repro 99 front and rear bars to a 900.

Now I have a 1991 900i (2.1 16 valve, 5 speed) and the bodywork is even more intrusive and ugly. There's a lean, lithe steel body hidden under all that black plastic somewhere! I'm not a fan of the aero look, which is how the later ones are usually tizzied up. I want to go back to a bare bones retro look.

Has anyone done this, got pics to share and tips about where to buy the basic bars?

Cheers,
Nathan

·
Registered
741 Posts
The basic rubber trim that goes along the bottom instead of SPG panels?

Probably no longer available, I feel the same way but ended up ripping off all that stuff, rubber trim and wheel lips included.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fit minimal front and rear bars to 900i - the clean 99 look.

I'm talking about removing all the blackish grey plastic mouldings that cover the lower half of the doors, the front guards and the rear guards, and the front and rear bumper bars, and replacing them with the minimum of two basic steel bars, like the early SAAB 99s had, and either filling any mounting holes in the panels, or fitting minimal rubber bump strips to the doors.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I feel like people might not like it, but it sounds badass to me.

You are talking about removing the plastic with the silver trim below the doors and body in this picture, right?

And you're right about those later style bumpers, I can't stand them. Painted plastic crap, I replaced mine with the old style pre-facelift bumpers.

What do you mean by the 99 bumpers though? All the pictures I've seen of them looked similar to the old style 900 bumper, I've never seen one with basic bars before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like this, which is probably running pre-facelift chrome bars for that backdate look we love so much...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts