SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried to fit a 9-5 unit from around the 2000 vintage to a 9-3? I know it will physically fit... I am wondering if the connector matches for the amp setup, etc and if it can be married to the TWICE?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If it fits physically, I'm going out on a limb and saying they're the same if it's divorced. The radio was made by whoever, and then Saab makes harnesses to connect to it. It'd be impractical for the radio maker to make an entirely new harness area just for a car model that's slightly different. GM's radios all interchange within a certain time frame and are/were matched to the car in a very similar fashion to prevent theft. If it where me, I'd give it a try if you wanted it bad enough. If the factory CD player was any good with my factory unit, I'd plug it back in, divorce mine and give it to you.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ That's what I was thinking too... would not make sense to make two different systems, but then again, Saab surprises me sometimes when they do something like that. So, I was hoping to find someone who's tried it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Anyone ever tried to fit a 9-5 unit from around the 2000 vintage to a 9-3? I know it will physically fit... I am wondering if the connector matches for the amp setup, etc and if it can be married to the TWICE?
There is a guy that fitted a complete 9-5 in-dash nav system into his 9-3 so it can be done.

But...The 9-5 radio is taller than the 9-3, you'll have to remove the cup holder and do some mods to the dash fascia to get the radio in.

I do think both the 9-3 and 9-5 use SAAB's DIN connectors so the power, speaker and CD changer plugs should be the same.

But, one place the two differ significantly is with the external amp. On the 9-3, the external amp is connected via a round 8 pin DIN connector and only powers the door speakers, on the 9-5, the external amp intercepts the high level outputs from the radio and re-distributes amplified power to the various speakers in the car (11 of them I think) Would take some effort to get it all in correctly.

Fully done, it'd probably sound a heck of a lot better than the OEM 9-3 unit. Still, I think I'd rather buy an aftermarket unit along with a steering wheel control interface and take that path.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
They could of saved a heck of a lot of headaches had they just installed low-level RCA jacks on the HU like every aftermarket stereo has had since the 80's. The amps themselves would be able to be easily re-purposed too. Just remembered my 92' SHO had a goofy factory amp setup with a massive 6" woofer :roll: in a plastic box mounted under the rear shelf. Think it was Bose at the time. Utter junk they stick in cars. Real head scratcher why "premium" sound is technically on par with a brand like "DUAL" that you buy at Walmart, but priced like aftermarket JL Audio on the window sticker :(

·
Registered
556 Posts
Utter junk they stick in cars. Real head scratcher why "premium" sound is technically on par with a brand like "DUAL" that you buy at Walmart, but priced like aftermarket JL Audio on the window sticker :(
LOL

10char

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fully done, it'd probably sound a heck of a lot better than the OEM 9-3 unit. Still, I think I'd rather buy an aftermarket unit along with a steering wheel control interface and take that path.
Yeah... it's starting to sound like a lot more hassle than it might be worth. I'm comfortable with wiring, but I don't really have time for a research and experimental project to figure out what outputs are a must... which ones need to be loaded, etc. I also had another thought today... I wonder if the ECU would let you assign a 9-5 VIN to a 9-3 in order to do the divorce?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts