SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1997 Saab 900 S. It had just over 97K miles on it and was care for very well. But, it does have a few minor issues. As well as being new to Saab, I'm new to this forum so I hope this is a good place to post my general questions.

It has the factory Clarion audio system with 6 CD changer. But, I didn't get a CD magazine. So, I'm not even sure it that works. But, the stereo itself works very well and I'd like to keep it. But, I'm wondering about options to replace the CD changer if necessary. I've seen some devices on the Internet that are CD changer emulators that are actually MP3 players. Does anyone have experience with installing/using such a device? Or, do you know where I can get an inexpensive magazine for the changer. I'd hate to pay a lot only to find out that the changer doesn't work.

Also, I need to do minor/routine maintenance such as oil & filter changes. I took the car on a 400 mile trip over a mt. pass just last weekend and it ran very well and did not use any oil. But, I'm not sure when it was last changed. So, I'm trying to decide which oil and filter to purchase. I'm thinking about going with a full synthetic, but is it worth it? If so, what brand and viscosity do you recommend. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, so I think 10w30 is a good choice since it doesn't get very hot here and we have mostly cool wet weather much of the year. Then there is the oil filter question. Does anyone use K&N? I'm not sure are worth the extra expense and have been told that they don't flow very well. I was thinking perhaps Bosch or WIX since they are moderate in price and I feel comfortable with the quality.

I have other questions, but I should limit this post as it already contains two topics. Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Demersus
Tacoma, WA USA

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral.
Mine is the same, but one year older, and she shows it.
But, one advantage for me, I am, I am sure , the owner #3 and I have repair records going back to '96..
The audio option ( upgrade ) was a CD changer in the trunk ! . horrible idea, IMO .
The other option was a set of amplified door speakers.
I'd use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40....an overkill -yes!
But I now change the engine oil annually - every 5K miles.
No to the K and N ; yes to the Purolator 10295(barely fits...lol)
This is about one tenth of the maintenance...
Peruse this site, a kilo of info exists.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Yeah, mine has the CD changer AND the amplified sub-woofers in the doors. It sound ok, not great, but good enough to keep. I found a cheap magazine for the CD changer on eBay yesterday, $16 with shipping. So, I hope the changer works. If not, I'll be looking for other options. I don't really want to go with an aftermarket stereo because the stock head unit is part of the info display and I'd like to keep all that stuff working nicely. However, I wonder if it's possible to use the head unit from a newer Saab and still have the display all work properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only problem I had on the saab cd changer was potholes or bad roads. Other then that they sound great.

few ideas this will work for any of the cars with tape players is a car Stereo audio cassett tape adapter that can plug into any device with headphone jack. This could be CD player, MP3 player, Ipod Ipad, Laptop anything that can play music and has it own power or can be plug into the cigarette lighter.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
if it doesnt work i have my factory changer you can have. it works... i just dont listen to the radio.... or well, cant hear it over my car.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hi all,
I have other questions, but I should limit this post as it already contains two topics. Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Demersus
Tacoma, WA USA
For your oil filter, a very cheap but effective one is the NAPA 1515 gold oil filter, it's an excellent filter for the price and meets saabs guidelines and adds a little extra oil to your system

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome to SC.
I don't post here nearly as much as I could, but I've been Saabing since '93 when I bought my 900t. I can certainly understand the nervousness with an older Saab.

There are several threads on this forum about modifications to your audio system, so I'd read through those to gauge your options.

As for the oil, unless you're doing the pass-haul in the summer often, I'd go with a blend (sorry Earthworm - I know how the purists feel about synths... I'm an M1/Purolator user myself) and change it often. Good oil is clean oil - in normal to moderately heavy driving.

There are several PNW Saabers here (JeremyR has a '97 900 Talladega) who can help you. Also there is a Seattle Saab Club site on fb which I moderate - feel free to drop in and ask for local information.

Again, welcome, and we wish you many happy Saab miles & smiles!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi LowBudgetHero,

Thanks for those suggestions. There are so many choices and opinions to consider. I ended up going with Castrol full synthetic titanium formula, 10w30 and a WIX 51348. Although I also saw that Carquest carries two of their own brand made by WIX; one is the "red" and the other "blue". Not clear what is the difference. But, at least I know WIX is decent and it had a silicone anti-backflow valve. I was also considering NAPA, but the closest one is kinda far for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Route246,

Thanks for the information. I do drive over the Cascades fairly often, so I spent the extra few bucks for full synthetic. The original owner too very good car of this car, so I figure it worth the money to keep it in tip-top shape.

As for the audio system, I found JBL GTO928 6x9s for the rears, and the GTO328s for the front. They seem like a very good upgrade from stock that will mate well with the Clarion head unit and stock sub-amp. They had very good ratings and quite reasonable in price on Amazon.com. I'm still pondering what to do about the 6.5s in the doors. There is a component set of the same series by JBL, but I might just go with the GTO628s and just accept that the tweeter will be useless. But, it seems like the easiest option while keeping with the same series speaker all the way around. Plus, some day I might just pull out that sub amp and use the pre-amp out to drive a couple of full-range amps to push all six speakers. Probably not because the wiring looks like a real *****.

I'll look up the Seattle area Saab facebook site. You probably noticed that I'm in Tacoma. But, I did live in Seattle prior and go there fairly often. I'm looking forward to being part of the Saab "community".

I'm sticking with Bosch for the new dist. cap & rotor and the existing Bougicord wires look great still. But, I'm wondering about air filters. As with oil, I sort of like WIX, MANN and Mahle. What's your favorite?

Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction.

Demersus

·
Registered
411 Posts
Demersus,
I popped in a pair of Focals in the door for my Viggen, and they sound very good, even with the top down. The car is showing age, so there are some rattles, so I'll have to quiet down the body this summer as well as installing the tweets in the dash. I pulled out the stock head unit in favor of a Pioneer AVIC double DIN unit, and the amp for the door speakers as well, so I have an upgrade for you, if you are interested. The CD player can be a bit skippy at times. IIRC, this uprated audio need not be married to the car through the IRIS system.

For oil & filters, I use M1 0W40 and Purolator PureOne (PL10241) filter. Freddys has it on sale every now and then so I grab a few when I can. Also, there is an over-sized Purolator (20195) that I sometimes use, but those are few and far between to be found. I know that these are a bit of overkill, as MANN filters are just as good and are much less damaging to the wallet.

Drop us a line when you're headed north.
I'll ping Jeremy so that we can talk shop and lick our Saab wounds ;)

Enjoy this great weather streak we're having!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts