SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. Been through some cars such as a VW Corrado and a BMW 318ti but I must say. My 1985 Saab 900 Turbo is probably the greatest feeling I've ever had. Such a nice car. I got it early this month and has been running completely fine. But, I just realized that I am not getting the boost I am suppose to be feeling. The turbo gauge only goes somewhere in the beginning or middle of the yellow zone. I'm freaking about how good it feels using only that much pressure but not knowing the unknown is driving me nuts. I found somewhere that your cruise control being messed up could be the cause of this. Mine is broken and they said just disconnect the wires. Doing that gives me no boost at all. :( Would it just be a leak? And if so, where can I start?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Stock, the boost should just touch the red under ideal conditions. Most of us go through these same issues with almost every new acquisition. A fully ignition tuneup with only stock recommended equipment, attention to all vacuum hoses, all electrical connections and wiring in the engine bay. Run only non ethanol high octane fuel if possible.
Start with that.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Stock, the boost should just touch the red under ideal conditions. Most of us go through these same issues with almost every new acquisition. A fully ignition tuneup with only stock recommended equipment, attention to all vacuum hoses, all electrical connections and wiring in the engine bay. Run only non ethanol high octane fuel if possible.
Start with that.
All good points except for the ethanol. Almost every gas station in the US has 10% ethanol in every pump.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Well that might be true, but its still the best advice. Perhaps, if he's in Alaska, things are different. I know they're not growing corn there, but I don't know if the have any refineries for their own purposes.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Go online and see if there is a fuel depot (not just a gas station) that has ethanol free gasoline. These will more than likely be fuel distributors. Under the circumstances, I would work on tuning the vehicle and getting the tank almost run dry, then filling with straight premium gasoline to complete the tuning. You may not get the full range of boost once you switch to an ethanol blend or lower octane fuel. The fuel management through the ECU will adjust boost to compensate for fuel quality.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I'm thinking the amount of bush/small planes up there, it can't be that hard to find sans ethanol fuel

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
Ethanol causes lots of problems in small engines, but it increases octane. You should get more boost with it; even more if you add water (ethanol) injection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly, no ethanol can be found in Alaska. Haha. And I can't remember ever seeing corn in Alaska. Let alone a crop in general. It's getting in the thirties already.Only thing we produce is salmon....and more salmon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts