SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well so soon....:eek:

Yesterday morning my heater blower gave up...:roll:

So a quick visit to Munki's site and then to strip the car.

It was indeed the motor speed resistor. So following the instructions on Munkis site. I walked over to the now damaged stealth machine that is still parked out the back of our house and set to work on removing the resistor from its place. However I just could not get the plastic top off the motor module but in the end I did not need to the resistor actually slips out easily by just removing its holding screw and teasing it out.

So Over to the new car and repeat the procedure. What I found was a tad scary.

See shots.

Along with a melted plug I found the possible reason why. On the shot above of the module the two pins that sit on their own. Of the two wires that connect to the module, 1 wire (Brown) had been trapped between the motor casing and the car chassis. The flex had been cut and so a short I imagine has caused the damage above. Looks like it has been like it for along time. So it finally gave up the other morning.

Do any of you reckon I should be aware of any other poss elecy problems?

With the spare module in place and the wire secured the heater ect now works fine. Looks like keeping the old car may yet proove a good move. How much are these modules from a dealer??

Dead

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Ewww, that does not look good!
Dead Centre said:
With the spare module in place and the wire secured the heater ect now works fine. Looks like keeping the old car may yet proove a good move. How much are these modules from a dealer??
Well, I was going to tell you that according to eeuroparts.com here in the states, it would cost about $50 USD (27.22 GBP) for the resistor, BUT that was for my '97 S model. Checking on the '94 SE model, they don't list the resistor, just the motor (because of ACC?). So potentially, you would have needed the whole assembly, which lists as $250 USD (136 GBP). Those are the two prices I see listed. Note that a stealerhship would probably make up 20-35% (at least).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers. looks like not letting the insurance take the old 900 may pay off.
Well that is interesting.
I was using the AC the evening before it packed in. I say I was using it. I was checking the pressure in the system and adding a bit of PAG oil and leak sealer to rejuvinate the 'O' ring seals.

I wonder if putting the system under load caused the burnout.

I don't know when it was last used or what state its in. Although on the history, money has been spent on it. Pressure was low at testing.

Dead

As an edit... I just looked at EE's site. As you say the resistor is not listed on it? What it does show for later models is still not the resistor pac either?? Hmm It does show the blower body with the two power cables that connect to the resistor. The Brown lead was the one that was split.

Dead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts