SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,fabs here. This is my first post on this forum:)
I don't own and have never owned a saab, but we do own 2 of it's cousins...volvo v70 and xc70. We really love these swedish cars, great highway cruisers and the xc is great in winter time (lots of snow here in montreal).
We love our volvo's but recently got a new home and need something a little smaller to fit in the garage. We have 2 little kids in car seats as well.
I started looking at some saabs, and i've never really heard any positive things about these cars, only that they are quirky and finiky...is this true?
are they good cars? reliable? easy to work on? are the parts hard to find?
is it a good family car with good cargo room? do they handle well in snow in winter time?
thanks again, hope to hear from you..
fabs

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Good cars? Yes. Reliable? No less than any other marque. Parts easy to find? Nope. Good in the winter? Yes. Obviously not as good as your XC but at par with the V70. The 9-3 is a good, beautiful car. I'd be slightly wary to own one in Canada though, parts are definitely an issue especially in a country where they weren't overly popular (although Quebec by far sold the most).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SAABHUNTER..thanks for the reply, and nice to see a fellow Canuk on the forum ;ol;
It seems like we did have a good following here, i do see some saab's on the road, not a very popular car. I know of a few "Scandinavian" garages around here that work on Saabs and volvo's. I just fear that one day something will go and will be stranded. I know the volvo has it's things, but i think can be serviced almost anywhere.
In terms of parts...when doing a cross0reference, what other model/makes share the same parts? any GM cars? can a GM garage work on these cars?
thanks
fabs

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Hi SAABHUNTER..thanks for the reply, and nice to see a fellow Canuk on the forum ;ol;
It seems like we did have a good following here, i do see some saab's on the road, not a very popular car. I know of a few "Scandinavian" garages around here that work on Saabs and volvo's. I just fear that one day something will go and will be stranded. I know the volvo has it's things, but i think can be serviced almost anywhere.
In terms of parts...when doing a cross0reference, what other model/makes share the same parts? any GM cars? can a GM garage work on these cars?
thanks
fabs
No problem! The 4 cyl versions share some parts with Cobalts and the 2.8T Aero engine is AFAIK almost identical to the Caddy SRX 2.8T. It isn't so much engine parts that are the problem, more suspension and body parts. Many people are forced to have their cars totalled by insurance companies after minor accidents because of not being able to find parts. I waited months for suspension parts. All in all, the 9-3 is without doubt a good car, one could even say it is a fantastic car for the money but with Saab's situation, owning one can be a bit of a headache. If Saab was running strong, I'd drive them for the rest of my life. Saab is now dead, so I bought a Volvo:lol:.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Overall, I would say the SAABs are more sporty than a Volvo, both in style and handling/engine. Lighter, more nimble. Volvo holds on to stodgy designs longer and yet an almost 10 year old SAAB design is still relevant and, IMHO, one of the best looking sedans on the road. And a SportCombi is head and shoulders above any Volvo wagon in terms of styling and sportiness. But I admit, I'm prejudiced!

If you are at all involved with your car, this forum will help you own a SAAB.
If you think of a car like an appliance, like a refrigerator or a washing machine, the a Volvo, not a SAAB is for you. You can settle, or you can go for it.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Overall, I would say the SAABs are more sporty than a Volvo, both in style and handling/engine. Lighter, more nimble. Volvo holds on to stodgy designs longer and yet an almost 10 year old SAAB design is still relevant and, IMHO, one of the best looking sedans on the road. And a SportCombi is head and shoulders above any Volvo wagon in terms of styling and sportiness. But I admit, I'm prejudiced!

If you are at all involved with your car, this forum will help you own a SAAB.
If you think of a car like an appliance, like a refrigerator or a washing machine, the a Volvo, not a SAAB is for you. You can settle, or you can go for it.
Agree to disagree:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Agree to disagree:cheesy:
Well Zin is completely correct in his description. Despite what you might "feel" is the case, Volvo's are stodgy soccer mom type safety cars where Saab has the reputation for being more sporty, quirky, etc. That is the case in the US, Canada might be different however.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Well Zin is completely correct in his description. Despite what you might "feel" is the case, Volvo's are stodgy soccer mom type safety cars where Saab has the reputation for being more sporty, quirky, etc. That is the case in the US, Canada might be different however.
I really do not see any sportiness in Saab, sorry. Very sporty looking, but ultimately not sporty. The 9-3 is a beautiful car but definitely an underperformer. Take a base C30 for example. Faster than any stock non Aero 9-3, and on par with the stock 250hp Aero. Throw in any R cars and it's even more apparent. Take a look at the S60 and C30 Polestar builds, rumor has it they'll be released. As far as handling goes, I think a lot of it is subjective with a ton of bias. I sure haven't seen many reviews raving about Saabs handling (or anything for that matter).

I'm not trying to bash Saab, whatsoever. I have a way stronger connection with Saab than Volvo, I'm simply addressing what you said;ol;

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I really do not see any sportiness in Saab, sorry. Very sporty looking, but ultimately not sporty. The 9-3 is a beautiful car but definitely an underperformer. Take a base C30 for example. Faster than any stock non Aero 9-3, and on par with the stock 250hp Aero. Throw in any R cars and it's even more apparent. Take a look at the S60 and C30 Polestar builds, rumor has it they'll be released. As far as handling goes, I think a lot of it is subjective with a ton of bias. I sure haven't seen many reviews raving about Saabs handling (or anything for that matter).

I'm not trying to bash Saab, whatsoever. I have a way stronger connection with Saab than Volvo, I'm simply addressing what you said;ol;
You are amazing. I am going to get you banished to a Volvo forum.

The C30 is a small 2 door coupe, not a 9-3 4 dr SS. The S60 is a fair comparison in the T5 trim but I found it smaller (less front leg room) and not as sporty. And a boring style. So it is a matter of opinion, not a slam dunk. How may more times are you going to troll Volvo on a SAAB forum to support your Volvo purchase? You say you are not bashing SAAB but you continue to bias your responses towards Volvo. What's the point?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

The C30 is a small 2 door coupe, not a 9-3 4 dr SS. The S60 is a fair comparison in the T5 trim but I found it smaller (less front leg room) and not as sporty. And a boring style. So it is a matter of opinion, not a slam dunk. How may more times are you going to troll Volvo on a SAAB forum to support your Volvo purchase? You say you are not bashing SAAB but you continue to bias your responses towards Volvo. What's the point?
You again?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You again?
I thought the same thing. I am going to let other's carry the SAAB flag, I am thru responding to you. This is it, see you in another life.

Cosmicflash, and others, please carry the day. I am tired of VolvoHutter. If SAAB had a 2 door coupe it would blow the doors off a C30. The C30 is a Civic compared to an Accord. But Volvohutter continues to obfuscate instead of comparing apples and apples. Yet he says he is more of a SAAB than Volvo guy. In the words of the immortal bard, the lady protest too much.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/lady-doth-protest-too-much-methinks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW guys,take it easy here....i don't own a saab, but we do have 2 volvos, and i also have driven a base c30. Nice little car,with the t5, it moves and handles well....however....i have to say, on the highway, my v70 drives well, solid ride, but i can't say it's a real sporty ride, maybe ith the active "4c bliss" suspension..maybe. The turning radius is horrible on these cars,anyone can tell you. so driving calmly down the street is kinda blahhh. on the xc70, the ride is not sporty at all, it's a taller.softer ride.
sorry...and i do like volvo's too....
fab

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I thought the same thing. I am going to let other's carry the SAAB flag, I am thru responding to you. This is it, see you in another life.

Cosmicflash, and others, please carry the day. I am tired of VolvoHutter. If SAAB had a 2 door coupe it would blow the doors off a C30. The C30 is a Civic compared to an Accord. But Volvohutter continues to obfuscate instead of comparing apples and apples. Yet he says he is more of a SAAB than Volvo guy. In the words of the immortal bard, the lady protest too much.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/lady-doth-protest-too-much-methinks
I believe Billy said "you're a ****ing loser, please quit responding to everything I say".

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

The C30 weighs the same as a 9-3 sedan, thus it can be compared performance wise.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would agree with Saab more sporty than Volvo - and how I would compare this is Honda is more sporty than a Toyota.

I now own a Saab 9-3 and a Volvo S80.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks gang...i like my volvo alot, great car and flies on the highway!!! but i can just imaging the saab being a bit more sportier. It just has that look to it. The newer volvo's are okay in looks if you ask me. What bugs the crap out of me, is how, and not only volvo's but most cars, are the same in exterior size, but more cramped inside. My old 1996 volvo 850 wagon had way more room inside then my current car. The new s60, for me is not that great looking of a car if you ask me, just my opinion. The newer saabs look way sharper and sexier then any new volvo...even the c30...
fab

1 - 20 of 38 Posts