SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just got a used 9-5 SE. Im wanting to do some minor mods nothing too technical since I lack much experience but just too help make the car more personalized and fun to drive. I was thinking of starting out by replacing the airbox with this intake. And I just wanted to get your input since you all seem to be fairly educated on the workings of these cars and whether or not this is a good starting place and if so if this is a good intake.
thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Patrick welcome to Saab Central :cool:

That intake will indeed replace the air box and give you a great sound, I'm not sure you will notice any performance gains at all though, some of the guys with huge horse power have proved the paper filter to be very efficient indeed! ;)

First thing to do is to bring the servicing up to standard, what have you done so far? :confused:

By the way clear side markers / indicators are worth about 10 bhp each :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I'll have to get on those sidemarkers right away. ;) Anyways the car has 82k miles on it and i just had new spark plugs put in, as well as new hoses, belts and brake pades too make sure the car was in sound running order after i bought it. I realize the new air filter wont make much hp difference but I saw it as a good place to start. Also do you think it be fairly easy to install myself though i dont have much exerpience and would i need to remove much to get to the airbox to work on it. thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Just remove the entire front end!

Seriously though I think you can get to everything from underneath (remove the plastic covers) and by removing the front indicator ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sounds good to me. You have any more ideas for some begginer mods to give the saab a good kick in the pants?
thanks for your help

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
patrick_01 said:
You have any more ideas for some begginer mods to give the saab a good kick in the pants?
What is the engine size Patrick? :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I maybe mistaken (i am fairly often) but its the V6 3.0l turbo.

update
is there a 3.0l i was checkin around to be sure i only see the 2.3l Turbo i dunno sry im new to this

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I see. Why is it that the smaller engines to to be the ones of choice by most instead of the larger V6 or is that a disadavantage.

It is the 3.0l i just had a moment of self dobt in my answer now i kinda wish i was wrong :cry:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
In the UK the 2.0 and 2.3 are the most popular and the 3.0 is relatively rare, possibly because of the cost of fuel over here :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah makes since. gas is gonna be an pain for me too its up to like 2.35 around me and i use premium so you can dump anthother .20 to that. :cry: its a pain being a saab enthusist over here and try to find aftermarket items most of it is all in UK everyone one here is still stuck on there civics and that jazz. thanks for your help thoh this is great forum :D

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
And the HOT aero comes in 2.3. :cheesy: And does putting an intake on it make it sound a lot cooler? I'm looking for a nice sound, but I don't really need anymore power. This thing is just too quiet. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm by far no expert but from what chris said earlier and from what i've seen while lurking in this forum i would say that would be a yes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anybody here have any pics of what the Hirsch Performance Aerodynamics set? I'm lookin around for a subtle upgrade to the styling of my SE estate and the pic on Elk parts doesn't really help much. :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts