SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know I saw something along these lines while searching one before in the forums; however, now I can't find it.

My trouble is:

Driving home the other day I went to scan my guages as usual. I then noticed the temp guage was dead, just sitting there like if it were off; however, my car was producing heat just fine.

I was driving last night and noticed that the guage was workign correctly, I tuned a corner and heard what I thought was the cooling fan clicking on. I looked down and noticed the guage just dropped again (dead). I came out from the store and was driving, the guage was working correctly again.

While driving this morning the guage climbed up just fine; however, on the freeway it fell to the 1/4 mark. I suspect my t-stat might be stuck open, but I imagine this is a seperate issue. In traffic the guage climbed up to just a tich under half way. THe guage dies again with a CEL comming on. At a light I restarted the car and the guage worked again; however, the CEL was still on. I suspect that the CEL could be due to my tank dropping to just below half, something I have been dealing with on a seperate issue.

Otherwise the car runs perfect.:(

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firehead said:
hey woywitka,
I had these same problems last year during the winter time too but rarely. Needle would die and the cooling fan would come on... turning the car off and on again would cure it... Hasnt happened to me since last winter until last night. Snowy, cold and the needle died again. This time it threw a CEL. I plan to have it scanned to see what the deal is. I dont think the Thermostat would do this. I've read stuff about the coolant Temp sensor causing the issue, but i'm not sure where it is or if it is even the problem. Hopefully the scan will give clues (if anything is open here on thanksgiving).
It is a little colder here too. Lowest I would say would be about 28F /-3C or something.

I think my T-stat might be a seperate issue and just a coincidence to happen at the same time. The car is running on the cooler side after when on the freeway (unrestricted airflow)

The nice thing about the dead needle is that the car will click the fans on which is a good safety precaution.

Hope we can work this out. I fyou are getting the code read feel free to share:p . I'm too cheap to go pay the dealer $100 to read a stupid code. THey have OBDII code reader at a local store for something like $150, I'm tempted. My 9-5 likes to throw its CEL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been dealing with the same issue with the temp gauge the last 2 weeks. In city traffic the gauge reads perfectly normal. On the highway it goes down to about the 8 o'clock position. I just ordered a new t-stat and hope that will fix the issue. The only difference for me is that my gauge never goes dead like yours!

An interesting thing for me though is that this issue started immediately after I changed the coolant bypass valve. Never happened before changing the valve. A weird coincidence I guess! :confused:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

After reading the above thread link it seems that 2 people have solved this issue with a new T-stat.

It looks like when the T-stat stick it will cause the temp needle to drop dead. For one person it sounds like the T-stat go stuck closed and they had serious trouble; however, most often it sounds like the T-stat gets stuck open. I will go pick up a new T-stat and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a common issue. We should sticky this thread if it solves mine and the two people above troubles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts