SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2002 Saab 9-3 Anniversary..,

So far I've given it a top to bottom clean, all the stains in the carpet are gone, the back seats look new, front look a lot better. I have on order a new front driver seatbelt and weather strips for B and C pillars as they are cracking.
Hopefully soon I'll get a new antenna mast, and the AC compressor as currently I have the car running on a short belt. The A/C died about three hours after purchase :(
Also I'm going to get the paint detailed and the front and rear bumper strips painted satin black, as a previous job wasn't done properly and is flacking on the front strip.
My question at the moment is the car is making a whirring noise, is that a lack of power steering fluid?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
It's hard to say if the power steering is making the noise. Have you checked the fluid level? Over here we use Pentosin CHF-11S for the power steering, which is ~$18-$20 USD... Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
Generally, the whirring changes with steering input if it's ps related. Check the condition of the tensioner pulley near the bulkhead on the (Aussie) driver's side of the engine bay for noise as that's a classic one to go.

·
Registered
18,068 Posts
Remove (or loosen) the idler belt with the car dead cold. Start and listen for the noise. If it's still there, you have an engine noise. If not, it's an accessory.

With the belt loose, start checking bearings in all the pulleys for play, rough feel, etc. Remount the belt, use a mechanics stethoscope to verify the bad bearing. Listen closely, noise travels.

Bad PS pumps make a lot more noise when cold, although from the look of your photo it's not very cold where you are.

If your A/C stopped working, you could have a bad compressor clutch. You can replace just the clutch if that's the issue. I've heard A/C compressors make funny noises when the clutch is bad. Also, the expansion valve can cause noises that sound like a bearing (not sure why, but I've heard/seen it verified).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as it seems the engine fan is the culprit, I don't think anything is wrong with it its just loud when under load.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Be careful with the engine fan as it can start running without the key in the ignition if the engine is still hot. You might have noticed that already: when turning the engine off, sometimes it will continue to run for a short period of time... Ron

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I have noticed. I've just spent all night changing the C and B-pillar trims on the drivers side, what a headache. Whats worse is I found out the rear door was originally green! But at least its looking fantastic instead of flakey.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, I'm tossing up between new owners manual and folder (bought without and managed to buy brand new log books just need the folder and owners manual), arial mast or paint detail and bonnet badge.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the Fabric/leather part of the door cards is separable. I ask this because a cleaning product I used has ended up melting the plastic, its nothing overly dramatic but I can tell its there. I want to possibly get door cards but obviously the ones with fabric inserts are going to be cheaper but I have leather inserts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts