SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start…

It is a Black 89’ 900 Convertible, Tan interior 211k miles, Auto

I bought it off a friend for $700 after test driving it for 15 minutes; the handling simply blew me away. He was intending to restore it and did a good deal of maintenance on it before hitting a financial rut. He bought it for $500, P.O. had the tranny rebuilt and thought it was going out again… alternator bracket was loose.

New vacuum lines
Dist. cap, rotor, wires and plugs
New O2 sensor
All fluids changed, radiator flushed
Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
New tires and front end alignment. New rims from the scrap yard, 3 of them were fairly bent
New battery, terminals and positive lead

Problems:

Steering rack leaks

Interior is trashed, passenger seat collapsed, rear seats had a battery spill on them at some point.

Hacked diy carpet job over ripped original carpet, very poorly done.

I’m the 7th owner; car has a totaled/reconstructed title. Passenger side door is not the original; key doesn’t work, found some bondo work on the door sill.
Odometer was broken, easy fix thanks to this site.

Questionable lowering job, bottom of the springs hang off the seats, wound the opposite direction and very stiff. They don’t fall out or get loose when jacked up, read that it’s typical for them to do so? No surprise that the skid plate is smashed against the tranny

Car sits at 170mm currently.

Currently focusing on the interior, changing it to black!
Found rear interior panels, speakers and covers on ebay.

Got some cloth seats and door cards out of a 92 3 door. Any tips on fitting the seats? As far as i can tell i am going to have to to some fabrication to get them to fit/mount, has it been done before?

How hard would it be to replace the carpet, buying it off the roll and fitting it?

Any tips on dying the vinyl?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Outside looks great, and yes I agree that its been lowered

Ebay is awful for saab parts, over inflated prices but they do have some hard to find stuff. Look at your local scrap yard for bargains.

The carpet is going to be a tough job I think

btw thx for not making us all scream for pics :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No problem, I’ve spent too many hours browsing this forum to make that mistake. :lol:

The carpet is going to be more of a disgusting job then anything, can't see it being too difficult (thats what i tell my self :roll: ). any attempt at it will look better then it does right now.

I already scanned through all the local yards, never have found a vert (have the yards on speed dial). I agree though, I paid more for those 2 parts off of ebay then all the parts I’ve gotten from the scrap yards combined... ;oops:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hello fellow Oregonian. Welcome to Saab Central. Nice 900 you got there.

I live just up Hwy 99 in Tigard/King City. Let me know if you ever need any help with anything. My 900T Vert and '76 99 both broke down this week, so I know how important good help can be. ;oops:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Nice looking 'vert -

Were it mine I'd get a good set of springs for it - either genuine SPG units or aftermarket - no sense mucking about with questionable suspension components - I'd probably do that before I did the interior (safety before visual appeal) -

The steering rack isn't leaking - it's preserving your lower control arm attachment points! The only known cure for a leaking rack is replacement with a rebuilt unit (at least the only cure I've heard of that preserves the power steering - my personal cure involved removing the PS) -

The collapsed seat - there's a fabric support that mounts to the underside of the seat - that's probably all that's wrong with the seat - you can get repair kits at places like eeuroparts.com - they're cheap and easy to install. (eeuroparts.com is also a really solid resource for parts).

Carpet - try to find a 3dr with decent carpet in a darker color (that yellowish tan always seems to look filthy - I had it in my '85 3dr - tried cleaning it with commercial carpet cleaning fluid and it got a bit better looking, but never really looked "good") - if you change the carpet color be sure to get the carpeted part of the center console while you're at it -

Above all, enjoy - they're great cars -

Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice lookin vert! I am partial to black, since my 92 vert is black, and in my opinion one of the best color choices for Saab :cheesy:.

I found this link a while back for carpet http://www.worlduph.com/saab.htm#CARPET.

Kind of pricey but it is new. I did a heater core job recently and figured while I was in there I would just go ahead and pull the seats and carpet and thoroughly clean everything. The carpet is easy to get out once the seats, center console, and side rails are out. Plus while you're in there you can check your floor panels for rust. I was amazed how good my carpet looked after I had it steamed cleaned...and it was near to as dirty as yours.
:eek:

If you change your interior to black, you'll have to post some pics of it when you're done...I had thought about doing that as well...but ended up just replacing the fabric around the door handles and rear speakers to a thick black vinyl...looks really sharp:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are these good springs http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/INT681003.htm?

or does someone have some stock spg springs they are willing to part with for cheap and help me out?

The lower control arm mounts are in perfect shape, have to love the rust proofing effect of oil leaks. Good 1/8" thick layer of oil and road grime

Looking at the seat, is it normal for them to have no seat trampoline installed from the start? Neither of the seats have them, and it is obvious why the passenger seat collapsed.

I'd rather try and fit the seats from the 92' I found. The seat rails are pretty rusted out on the current seats, not to mention bent up and loose. I want the lift adjustment I get with the 92 drivers seat. The current problem is that the mounting holes are 1.5" too wide, and the seats frames seem just a bit too wide to drop down in to the floor pan fully. Not to mention the 4 bold mounting compared to the 2 bolt and 2 post style. I have some friends that can weld pretty well, so fabing some new mounting points is not out of the question.

Anyone get the carpet from http://www.worlduph.com/saab.htm#CARPET.? I'm having a hard time deciding if its worth the extra 100 bucks to get the pretcut carpet.

Ebay score! link
Has to be a record, spent less then 10 bucks for a saab part on ebay :eek:.

Mag-x - good to know I have some help near by if I need it. I could help you out too if you need it. Don't have insurance yet, so i'm parked till January when I can legally sign for it. and the car is still parked in newberg ;oops:

I'll be sure to post pictures as it gets fixed up.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
For the seats, I seem to recall Jeff at Twinsaabs.com doing the install - if my memory hasn't failed it was a pretty good writeup with pictures of the brackets he fab'd and all - there were also a couple good writeups here at Saab Central that described the job in detail.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral:D

T16 Convertibles are awsome.

I would have to say right away before you go further that 3dr carpet will not really work. Convertible carpet is quite different, the door sills for example are more than double the height of the standard 900. I have owned both cars and was quite suprised by the number of changes they had to make to the convertible to make it all work, I thought it was much more simple. Even the windscreen is totally different.

If you are really stuck, depending on your situation and how much you really want to spend I can help you get acess to speciality parts (used). My mechanic has a museum, and I would bet he has a complete interior for your car. I know this is against T&C's but this guy has rare parts that are getting closer every day to him throwing out because they are sitting there. If I had money I would buy all his stuff. PM me if you need stuff or contact info.

Otherwise I'm sure you could do a heck of a job with that car. A restored T16 is worth some money for sure, they are a highly desirable car to own.

Agreed with what was said above, e-bay inflates prices for hard to find parts. But things like A/C compressors and such are cheap.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Making carpet fit the inside of a car isn't daunting - but it takes time. Getting the carpet to fit just right requires a lot of cutting and binding (sewing) and can be frustrating as heck (especially if you're a perfectionist). Doing it yourself does open the gates for quality, color selection and the like, however!

You can use the old carpet as a template however (warning, caveat) - don't use it as an "exact" template - leave plenty of "extra" material - for some reason that I've never been able to figure out - you come up "short" when you use the old carpet as a "perfect" template - probably due to the molding the carpet does and perhaps some shrinkage over time. Remember - you can always trim some more off - adding on is another story ...

I've re-done the carpet in a few cars with results that ranged from spectacular to "ahh heck, I need to buy more carpet" - I found that the more time I took, the more measurements I made and the more careful I was the better the results were - when I took shortcuts or was time constrained I was never happy with the results.

·
4,637 Posts
woywitka said:
My mechanic has a museum, and I would bet he has a complete interior for your car. I know this is against T&C's but this guy has rare parts that are getting closer every day to him throwing out because they are sitting there. If I had money I would buy all his stuff.
What you need to do Tom is to offer to store all of those parts for him. Then we'll all buy 'em of you....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
cdaly said:
What you need to do Tom is to offer to store all of those parts for him. Then we'll all buy 'em of you....
I would I would.

I just have nowhere to put them:(

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I have space gimme gimme gimme :cheesy:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have a rather odd problem, every time I open the trunk, the lid is soaked with condensation, litterally dripping. The gasket around the trunk is in good shape, and the spoiler isn't leaking as far as I can tell.

Would a leaking top cause this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts