SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 saab 9-3 S Manual
So this is my first ever saab and it's amazing but has a major issue I need help with.
I am unable to read OBD with any code reader I have tried an ELM327, my shops snap on, and my launch I can read body control codes and abs but no trans or ecu.
So far I have only replaced and checked for any bad fuses. I'm not sure if it's related but the message key not accepted appears but the car starts and runs normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated I need to pass emmisions.

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
I highly recommend a Chinese clone Tech II. If you like, I can dig out the vendor I used. About $300. It's a lifesaver with these cars and gives you access to all internal programming and features. You won't use it often, but when you do it will make your life happy.

Before you buy a TWICE, take out the driver's seat. The TWICE is a box under the seat. About 3"x7", large connector. If it was bypassed, you will likely find the bypass right there... they'll be some home-grown wiring on/near the connector.

Report back and we can tell you more about the swap choices if you need to replace it.

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
Remember to disconnect battery before removing seat ( avoid triggering airbag/srs fault)
Good point! FWIW, if you don't turn on the ignition, you probably won't trigger it. At least that's the rumor. I need to pull a seat as soon as it stops raining here... I'll do a test since I have a Tech II to reset if needed.

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
820 Posts
Yep if you don't turn the ignition on while the airbag is disconnected you won't get the code if you do and you can't reset it it's about 25 ignition cycles and it will go off on its own and I don't know about the old gen93 but on an old gen 95 if you just open the driver's door the driver seat will be powered to move it to remove it

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It's really never a good idea to work on anything electrical with the battery connected if you can avoid it. You never know when something unexpected could happen and break or short something. It's just good practice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I highly recommend a Chinese clone Tech II. If you like, I can dig out the vendor I used. About $300. It's a lifesaver with these cars and gives you access to all internal programming and features. You won't use it often, but when you do it will make your life happy.

Before you buy a TWICE, take out the driver's seat. The TWICE is a box under the seat. About 3"x7", large connector. If it was bypassed, you will likely find the bypass right there... they'll be some home-grown wiring on/near the connector.

Report back and we can tell you more about the swap choices if you need to replace it.
Sounds good I'm a pretty busy guy so may take me a couple days to get back to you on that, as for the tech 2 what all can it do besides program keys?

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Tech II can diagnose all diagnosable modules on your car. It can also make adjustments, e.g. if you change tire size, or if the gas gauge is reading a bit off. Also lighting options....I'm sure there's more.

You totally don't need a Tech II if your car is running perfectly and is set up the way you want. If not, you will see the advice "you need Tech II".

I recommend that you download WIS (factory service guide) and EPC (parts list) from the Tech II forum here. In the service are, WIS covers the Tech II options for each system, e.g. trouble codes, adjustments, and programming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tech II can diagnose all diagnosable modules on your car. It can also make adjustments, e.g. if you change tire size, or if the gas gauge is reading a bit off. Also lighting options....I'm sure there's more.

You totally don't need a Tech II if your car is running perfectly and is set up the way you want. If not, you will see the advice "you need Tech II".

I recommend that you download WIS (factory service guide) and EPC (parts list) from the Tech II forum here. In the service are, WIS covers the Tech II options for each system, e.g. trouble codes, adjustments, and programming.
Okay that's what I thought so I would probably only end up using it to program the twice I'm getting, anyone colorado local or no someone that can program the twice for me?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts