SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm new here and in the car world in general. I have a 94' 900 (2.5 V6) and its transmission is blown beyond repair. I've been looking at junk yards and found a couple of good ones that are quite a bit far away. I was going to resort to driving 3 hours to NY to snatch a trans out of a 95 V6 but a local place turned out to have a transmission out of a 95' 2.3 'vert. Does my V6 have the same transmission as the 4cyl variants (or at least the 2.3)? I looked all over the internet but could not find any other information

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ah I knew I was missing something. It's a 5 speed manual. But I'm already just biting the bullet and driving to a place that I've confirmed has a fitting V6 trans (from Car-parts). But for learning's sake it is an FM51-602. Thanks all!

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
Ah I knew I was missing. It's a 5 speed manual. But I'm already just biting the bullet and driving to a place that I've confirmed has a fitting V6 trans (from Car-parts). But for learning's sake it is an FM51-602. Thanks all!
That's a pretty cool combination. I imagine you can really wind out the V6 with the five-speed. ;ol;

Just make sure the timing belt is up to snuff and changed regularly, and I mean regularly.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
With the posts concerning V6 NG900s declining, I suspect that there are many 5-speed transmissions available these days. Probably more than that's available for the 4-cylinder NG900s.

And as EdT posted, make sure that the timing belt and tensioners are in good shape. If your V6 is anything like the older Honda engines, a leaking crank seal will cause a belt failure quickly... Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate all the help everybody. I don't have any history of when the timing belt was last done, and haven't inspected it much, but I definitely plan on doing it ASAP once it's running. How frequent is frequent? I'm assuming a couple tens of thousands of miles?

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
I really appreciate all the help everybody. I don't have any history of when the timing belt was last done, and haven't inspected it much, but I definitely plan on doing it ASAP once it's running. How frequent is frequent? I'm assuming a couple tens of thousands of miles?
Could be as low as 30,000 miles. I think the factory interval started at 60,000 miles but then dropped very quickly. Your owner's manual may not have the latest info, but I'll take a look what it says in a later year manual--the problems were quickly discovered by Saab. There are some special tools needed to lock the cams. They show up for sale from time to time. I'm not sure the job is possible without them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be as low as 30,000 miles. I think the factory interval started at 60,000 miles but then dropped very quickly. Your owner's manual may not have the latest info, but I'll take a look what it says in a later year manual--the problems were quickly discovered by Saab. There are some special tools needed to lock the cams. They show up for sale from time to time. I'm not sure the job is possible without them.
I searched around and found more info in here, should've done that before asking— my fault. I'll look into it, I saw a few links to tools on older threads but they were supposedly for 3.0-3.2. I'll dig deeper. I appreciate it, EdT!

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
1997 Owner's Manual says 65,000 miles (100,000 km). I swear that the 1996 manual specified 35,000 miles (60,000 km). Maybe there was a running change? I'll look at the earlier manuals (I have a '94 and a '95) and see what they say.

In any case, you want to change them now, unless you have documentation that shows it was done recently.

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
1997 Owner's Manual says 65,000 miles (100,000 km). I swear that the 1996 manual specified 35,000 miles (60,000 km). Maybe there was a running change? I'll look at the earlier manuals (I have a '94 and a '95) and see what they say..
Yep, '95 and '96 say 35,000 miles, '97 says 65,000. Take your pick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.