SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough procrastinating. I'm swapping motors in my 2000 9-5. The original motor was sludged at only 125,000miles and in need of repair. When I bought the motor it came with an extra motor from an 02 with 84,000 miles. Ran perfect. The car was hit hard in the side any totaled. Still ran though. Guy pulled the motor and sold me the package for $3,000. After driving it for about 3 weeks and 750 miles the tick/tap is getting worse and it's time to get dirty and swap it out.

I plan to come out the top with the motor
, divorced from the tranny. I schedualed all dayand night tomorrow and have some time available Sunday to button things up. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Good luck with your project, but the motor and trans will have to stay together to come out the top. Not enough room to separate the trans and pull only the motor, assuming it's a 2.3. Been there.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If it has an auto tranny you can pull just the engine out the top. Tight squeeze, but I use that approach frequently. Unbolt the alternator and centershaft bracket and all suspension stays in place

·
Registered
867 Posts
V6 easy out the top...
2.3 PITA, I had to remove nearly everything that made it wider.
If its a manual it will be real hard and you will need to lift the trans some to get at the right angle to pull.
If its Auto its a bit easier, I pulled the crank pulley for an extra 1-2 inches.
After torque converter is disconnected try and push it a little bit further in for an extra 1/2 inch or so. Every little bit counts
Good Luck, your on a tight time frame is something does not go right.
You should be awake by now...lol
Good luck with your project, but the motor and trans will have to stay together to come out the top. Not enough room to separate the trans and pull only the motor, assuming it's a 2.3. Been there.
It can be done...real real PITA and a slight fight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!!! BIGGEST PITA EVER!!! I just put a 350 into a jeep Cherokee not too long ago. Located, mounts fabled up, trans installed custom headers welded up all in 6 hours... It just took me 8 to pull this darn Saab motor. Lol. Now time to swap over a few parts and shoe horn it back in.

·
Registered
867 Posts
WOW!!! BIGGEST PITA EVER!!! I just put a 350 into a jeep Cherokee not too long ago. Located, mounts fabled up, trans installed custom headers welded up all in 6 hours... It just took me 8 to pull this darn Saab motor. Lol. Now time to swap over a few parts and shoe horn it back in.
At least you did it in 1 day, I took about a week or 2 and then your really start to wonder if going out the bottom might have been easier.
With doing it in 8 hours no time to think about doing it differently.
Glad you got it out;ol;

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a small lift but it's in my brother in laws shop with a rock buggy welded to it. Lol

I almost have everything cleaned and swapped over and ready to start putting it in. I think I'll leave it out over night and get some sleep. It's been 12 hours so far. I can plan for a long one again tomorrow.

Oh yea...

Should I pull the trans ant put them back in as one unit???

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If it came out with the trans in place, put it back the same way. The trick here is to set the engine in as level as possible (that's when it's shortest). Same for the tranny, get it as level as you can. Make sure your torque convertor is set all the way into the trans

Post a pic of your empty engine bay, may be able to add better suggestions

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its not empty any more. I have it very close to being all the way in. I a little past 1am here and I'm going to rinse off and get some rest. Tomorrow I will remove the trans mount from the frame and that should give me the 1/4inch I need.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Tomorrow I will remove the trans mount from the frame and that should give me the 1/4inch I need.
That should do it, every tiny bit counts.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Well its not empty any more. I have it very close to being all the way in. I a little past 1am here and I'm going to rinse off and get some rest. Tomorrow I will remove the trans mount from the frame and that should give me the 1/4inch I need.
More power to you! I can't do that kind of time anymore!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well its in and almost done. I been to figure out one last coolant line I can't find. It's the one that starts out as a hard line at the water pump and goes around the far side of the head ant points straight back at the firewall ending right beneath the engine harness bracket. What attaches there??? I'm at a loss. I can't find anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts