SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened after about 18 months of ownership. I've got a pretty major scrape on the drivers side on my front lip spoiler. I don't know how it happened, as I don't remember doing it but I'm the only one that drives the car. It looks like I might have caught a cement parking block or something. It's about 4 inches long, maybe a quarter-inch wide and scraped down to the black plastic. Starts underneath and curves up the front. It's not broken, but it is a nasty scrape.

How should I fix this? I'm not a painter, but I have couple of bottles of SAAB touch-up paint that I've used to repair chips before with good success. My wife, with her finger/toe nail painting abilities, is especially good at it. Is this kind of scrape something that I could possibly attempt to repair with touch-up paint? Or is it a lost cause and it should go to a body shop? Or do I need to just replace the whole spoiler?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I feel your pain. I did this on the 3rd day of ownership. My 2nd day I got a speeding ticket.

I think it needs to be done professionally. At least mine does. I will wait to do this, as I think that it is likely to happen again. Until I have a good sense of how/where to park it in relation to obstacles like parking barriers.

My estimate was for $250.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look at it this way: If you replace, it doesn't matter if you try, and even if a body shop repairs it, it probably doesn't matter -- they usually need to sand it down a bit, don't they?

My point being -- why not give repairing it yourself a shot?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point taken.

I was curious if I'd get any responses from those that have tried to repair more than just a paint chip with touch-up paint.

"Yeah, I tried to. Looked horrible and I replaced it a month later"
vs.
"Yeah, I tried it and it looks just fine."

;)

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Depends how particular you are.

This piece can be pretty easily removed. You could try sanding and painting it yourself. You will be able to match the color, but probably not the exact finish a body shop can give you. The clear can be particularly difficult. Sometimes it looks good in color, but then you clear it and see stuff you didn't notice before.

The reality is this piece will probably be scraped again. I would check with a body shop and get a quote. You might offer to take the piece off and leave it with them. That gives them some flexibility and you won't have to pay the labor for removing and reinstalling the spoiler (probably 30 minutes combined). Doubt it will gain you much of a discount, but I would ask. The spoiler is pretty easy to remove.

I would guess $300 for this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I gave myself a pretty good scrape within the 1st few days of owning... really not pleased that the spoiler is as low or lower than most standard curbs...

Luckily mine was 99% underneath, so I used touch-up paint.. my theory being that its not worth an expensive fix on something that is so low I'm likely to scrape it again. By design this car can't even take some steep driveways and parking lot entrances, which IMO is not the best design decision.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A co-worker of mine has a 2004 Aero and banged up that front spoiler really good on more than one occasion.

His fix?

Replace the front lip spoiler with an ARC spoiler. Its not quite as low, still looks good and only the most refined Saab-snob would ever notice its not the 'correct' spoiler for the car.

Since then, no more issues with the front spoiler

It seems everyone bangs the heck outta those spoilers. An ARC front lip spoiler looks 1,000x better than a banged up Aero spoiler

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good design on the spoiler lips...they pop-out and snap back in easily. These cars seem to "sink" a bit after sitting...maybe 10mm? just enough to rip yer lip off. Aeros in the winter...just take em off, youll never notice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ctrlz said:
Depends how particular you are.

This piece can be pretty easily removed. You could try sanding and painting it yourself. You will be able to match the color, but probably not the exact finish a body shop can give you. The clear can be particularly difficult. Sometimes it looks good in color, but then you clear it and see stuff you didn't notice before.

The reality is this piece will probably be scraped again. I would check with a body shop and get a quote. You might offer to take the piece off and leave it with them. That gives them some flexibility and you won't have to pay the labor for removing and reinstalling the spoiler (probably 30 minutes combined). Doubt it will gain you much of a discount, but I would ask. The spoiler is pretty easy to remove.

I would guess $300 for this.
Agreed, just had a local body shop repair mine, cost $290. They sanded, repainted/cleared the damaged part (after removing it of course). Looks good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
cpwills said:
Agreed, just had a local body shop repair mine, cost $290. They sanded, repainted/cleared the damaged part (after removing it of course). Looks good.
I actually broke off my front aero lip last year slidding into a snow bank (ouch). I decided to order a "catalog front spoiler" which cost me $195, then get it painted laser red... I cant recall for sure, but thats about $300 total... maybe you guys should look into getting a new spoiler rather than repairing the old, It wouldnt be the aero spoiler, but I think the catalog kit looks better anyways (and yes, the catalog front lip looks great with the stock aero body kit - all my pictures up on this forum are with the catalog front lip + stock aero body kit - I doubt anyone would notice).

My .02 for what its worth.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Sorry to hear of your situation. I, too, banged mine up pretty darn good the first week:x
I have since looked at every Aero spoiler I see and all have at least some small scratches, if not more.

As said here you can get a new one for about $200 and painted for another $100 or so.

Perhaps shop around and go the new replacement route.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My wife did mines after a month of ownership. You say your the only one that drives, You better put the wife under the spot light. But the best way i fixed mines was when a 4ft 9in tall chick in a new mustang ran into the front of me while my wife was stopped at a stop sign at about five miles an hour head on:eek:. And what made it so bad she was my neighbor and i always said she could'nt drive. But anyway when i took it to saab i made sure i told them when she hit my front bumper it scraped the ground;). Damage fixed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks to all that have commented. I really appreciate the advice.

This isn't the first time I scraped it. The first scrape occured less than 2 hours after I bought the car. I had no idea that the front was so low and caught the full front edge when leaving a friend's driveway. That took most of the paint off from the entire front leading edge. 90% of the scraped paint was on the underside of the lip, so you can't see it unless you're under the car. Touch-up paint took care of the 10% that was visible.

This scrape is just the first one that's quite visible from normal viewing angles.

Once the weather warms up, I think I'm going to attempt to fix it with the touch-up paint. My car's appearance is important to me, but I have to face reality - that spoiler is going to get scraped up again and so I don't know if it's worth $300-$400 to repair it and then scrape it up again in 6 months. If it looks horrible after my attempt, then I'll take it to the body shop or just order a new one online.

So, the lip spoiler is easy to remove/install? I haven't looked at it much - how is it secured to the front fascia? Does it just snap off? Even if I'm just going to use the touch-up paint, it would make it a lot easier to remove the whole spoiler for the work.

I'm intrigued by the idea of putting a non-Aero lip spoiler on it. Something that doesn't hang quite so low. I might look into that. I'd love to not have to worry about the 3-4 places that I know my car scrapes if I don't negotiate perfectly.

I had thought about taking it off completely for the winter, but (IMHO) it would look funny because the side skirts would still be on and the car would look unbalanced from the side. Not a good option, for me anyway.

I do have a wife and she does occasionally drive the car. We're very honest with each other about everything, so she wouldn't have accidentally scraped the car and not told me. We're just not like that. Besides, she hasn't driven the car in at least a month, and I just noticed the scrape about a week ago. I suspect that I may have caught it on my in-laws driveway, as it's possible to scrape it there and the last time we visited it was raining and I wouldn't have heard nor really felt it scrape. What's done is done anyway, so I'd rather just repair/replace it and move on, even if she did do it.

fortyb said:
My wife did mines after a month of ownership. You say your the only one that drives, You better put the wife under the spot light. But the best way i fixed mines was when a 4ft 9in tall chick in a new mustang ran into the front of me while my wife was stopped at a stop sign at about five miles an hour head on:eek:. And what made it so bad she was my neighbor and i always said she could'nt drive. But anyway when i took it to saab i made sure i told them when she hit my front bumper it scraped the ground;). Damage fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts