SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put a deposit on a '95 9000 Aero, TCS, Manual, Moonroof 57,479 miles at Saab of Nashua was $9,999 list signed for $8,995 trying to get it to $8,750. Absolutely MINT NO UNDER BODY RUST. Having Saabworks in Amherst, NH check it out tommrow AM then paying if all goes well in the evening. What you guys think, Carfax came back CLEAN, no accidents! Except for odometer freud but was a typ-O by the state of CT and geting title that shows the 57k like the non-flagged dash. VERY tight, interior mint. Was a garage gueen of the son of Saab NA in CT! But when I went to see it again last night with my girl there is peeling paint on the leading edge of pass. front fender where it meets the bumper, is this a problem spot?:eek: It also has NEW snows on it but I will have to replace them with summer shoes and ger steelies for the snows.:confused:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Sounds like you got a great car. My 1993 9k Aero is now up to 79k miles. To be honest the most important thing is how well is has been maintained, Saabs will go 300k with care. If your was well looked after and low miles you have got yourself a great car.

When I bought my Aero at 2yrs old it showed paint peel as the bumper top, this was due to incorrect wiper fluid being used. Other likely cause in your case is a poor quality repair/paint job. I would not let that put you off, just cut the price by another $ to pay for a small repair.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Vote of confidence!

Ya, I have been looking for a good condition, manual, turbo, TCS 9000 for awhile. I just think that $9000 for a '95 car is to much no matter HOW good a shape it is in!:confused:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nine grand for a '95 is a bit steep. But the low mileage skews the price to the high side.

Even if the front fender is a bad repair, it is an easy fix. The fender is bolted on, very easy to do.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$$ for Fender?

How much do you think they should knock off for the fender?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That price seems incredibly high for a 95' I just purchase a 97 Aero 5 speed with 62k in absolutley imacutlate condition for only $8000 from a local Saab dealer. I would personaly keep looking as they are out there, but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
shortlid said:
How much do you think they should knock off for the fender?
Can't advise you how much it costs to replace one. I know you can get them for $100 plus or minus. In New England, there are so many SAAB 9k's I presume you won't have any problem getting one with the same color.

I bought my 95cse fpt 5 speed this January for $2,750, at 112k miles, to replace my 94cs n/a wrecked in December, 2004. I just can't see myself spending $9k on a '95 Aero, even at 57k miles. (IOW, I am very cheap.) But an Aero at 57k miles commands a higher price.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If the car is in mint condition buy it, you will not find many others to choose from. Car is an understated pure comfort performance sedan; you will love it!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what the mech. found the car.

Saabworks a SAAB ONLY repair shop found these iteams wrong with the car.

1. Digital clock dislpay spotty (comes and goes)

2. Interior car temp sensor noisy (Can be cleaned)

3. Upper motor mount weak. (pretty cheap)

4. Rust on PF Fender starting where it meets bumper (prob. a hard tap)

5. Fogt lights do not work (prob. due to ground corrosion)

6. Headgasket moist at gable plate (Not bad but in future $$$)

7. Minor oil leak "weep" (rear main seal?)

8. batty weak (drops to 8.5 amps when starting)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the plunge!!

Well I brought it home for $9k even so I guess I will be geting to know you guys REAL WELL! Noticed that the pass. headed seat controls do not have back light where the drivers does. Had them both ON level 3 and they did not seem to get that hot but then again it is 78 degrees F outside! No Owners Manual so I don't know how half the bits work. Also need a GOOD repair manual, which is best Cylmers or Haynes? Need to clean the interior air sensor can I get at it from the top of the dash? What kind of tires should I put on it for the summer? :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Frankly I am a little disapointed a $9k vehicle has this many problems, however small they are. If I pay that much money for a '95 Aero, I'd expect it to be perfect. Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Display unit is very expensive CAN$600 when i replaced mine. If it is the backlights these are cheap and easy to fix but usually it's the circuit board that goes. Easy to fix, part is made in Japan but only available through a SAAB dealer. Used ones are a bad bet unless really cheap. The whole thing just pops out of the dash with careful prying with thin bladed screwdrivers on top and bottom, don't scratch the dash!

Cabin aor sensor is fairly economical and easy to fix. Pop out the ACC unit in similar fashion, two thin bladed screwdrivers one on each side of the ACC and pry gently outwards. Don't scratch the dash! Then the unit pops out from behind the dash with the little grille popping out from the front of the dash. If you want to clean it hold the fan still with a finger while you blst it with computer cleaning compressed air. I did mine while it was in the dash and got a whizzing sound signalling the end of the bearing!

The oil leak and head gasket weep are probably from the same source. the head overhangs the end of the block and seals against the rear cover. this joint is prone to weeping because of the odd right angle joint faces. Only real solution is a head gasket repalcement, not cheap and you can buy alot of oil for that. It is NOT a problem as the head gasket will still hold compression even if oil leaks from the end of the engine (clutch end).

Save a lot of hassle and get a new battery. Interstate works well. AC Delco make good batteries. Size 34 for 95 I beleive, or possibly 34 R if the ground and positive temrinals are reversed. SAAB switched the termianls at about this model year. Check yors and ensure the correct terminals are towards the center of the car. 8.5 volts means the battery is dying.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the insite!! So what you are saying is DO NOT CLEAN the Cabin Air Temp sensor while IN the DASH, Correct?? Clock is VERY $$$ so live with it or find a used one cheap. Live with head gasket, seems OK to me. What about 4 X 108 bolt pattern 16 " rims they avaliable or will I have to by Aero rims that are shot??:x

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The only problem with putting exactly the same question up at saabscene is keeping track of the responses.

Suggestions have been made on Saabscene regarding the display coming and going. If it's just going bright/dim/bright then that's a $1 LDR to replace.

If it's that the display is garbled, that's a case of fiddling with these two screws to adjust the pressure on the conductive rubber strips that interface between the PCB and the LCD (cost nothing to fiddle with):-

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I put 87 octane in my '95 9k Aero or do I HAVE to use Plus or higher?:(

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
People report better gas milage with higher octane suff, plus the car can run higher boost before the knock sensor kicks in (and cuts the gas), but you can run on lower ocatane, the engine sensors adjust the ignition accordingly :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is SOOOO Cool!!

Now I remmeber hearing that on a board awhile before I bouth my '95 9k Aero!:cheesy: So I can run 87 Octane to be cheap and if I want to real go out and run i can put high test in!!:lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice car , I like the red optimum battery,looks great with Di and it holds a charge well.
Superaero said:
Display unit is very expensive CAN$600 when i replaced mine. If it is the backlights these are cheap and easy to fix but usually it's the circuit board that goes. Easy to fix, part is made in Japan but only available through a SAAB dealer. Used ones are a bad bet unless really cheap. The whole thing just pops out of the dash with careful prying with thin bladed screwdrivers on top and bottom, don't scratch the dash!

Cabin aor sensor is fairly economical and easy to fix. Pop out the ACC unit in similar fashion, two thin bladed screwdrivers one on each side of the ACC and pry gently outwards. Don't scratch the dash! Then the unit pops out from behind the dash with the little grille popping out from the front of the dash. If you want to clean it hold the fan still with a finger while you blst it with computer cleaning compressed air. I did mine while it was in the dash and got a whizzing sound signalling the end of the bearing!

The oil leak and head gasket weep are probably from the same source. the head overhangs the end of the block and seals against the rear cover. this joint is prone to weeping because of the odd right angle joint faces. Only real solution is a head gasket repalcement, not cheap and you can buy alot of oil for that. It is NOT a problem as the head gasket will still hold compression even if oil leaks from the end of the engine (clutch end).

Save a lot of hassle and get a new battery. Interstate works well. AC Delco make good batteries. Size 34 for 95 I beleive, or possibly 34 R if the ground and positive temrinals are reversed. SAAB switched the termianls at about this model year. Check yors and ensure the correct terminals are towards the center of the car. 8.5 volts means the battery is dying.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
89 octane is the lowest that can work

in the manual transmission Aero. The 225 hp engine is tuned closer to detonation than the base car and auto Aero. 87 is definitely not recommended by SAAB for the manual Aero.

I recommend you forget about using anything but 91 or higher in the manual shift Aero. The reason is you lose that big fat torque curve using lower octane fuel. Where the manual shift Aero really shines is in the torque department, 16% more than the base turbo engine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts