SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went out and bought a new wiper motor from a junkyard today, and spent $40 on it. So after I get it done I decide to disect my old one that had the return to park issue causing to only have med and high which will stop wherever it is when you turn them off, and no washer fluid function. What I find is good news for others. A simple resistor and soldering will fix it. I will post more in the morning when I am not on my iPhone, and do a full write up. (on the downfall I managed to lose the resistor before metering it)---after searching around on my garage floor for about half an hour I found it.---

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so here is going to be a brief DIY Wiper Fix... Now I took my wiper motor apart (busted through the rivets) so I can figure out how they work. I could put it back togethor, but since I bought a working motor for $40 I put the old one in the circular file (trash)

Step 1:
Remove your wiper motor (use this link if you need help) http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172654

*note* removing the arms can be a PITA I had a friend help me by beating on the shaft that sticks up with a punch and a hammer as I pulled the $#!T out of it and it eventually came off

Step 2: (optional, really don't need to)
Remove the actual motor assembly from all the linkage. (sorry didn't take pics of this either) but it is easy 2 10mm bolts in the arm and a 13mm on the motor...you will get it once you look at it.

Step 3:
Locate where the brown wire goes into the assembly (stole this pic from the other thread, so look at the old motor on top)

that is where the problem is.... Take a screwdriver or something of your choice and start picking that ish out. After you get a few mm down you will see a resistor.

Step 4:
That is where the problem is...either the resistor will go bad, or just become disconnected... so basically all you have to do is take it out, and then remove the little clip it was soldered on to. and don't worry if it comes off the Brown wire...it will be getting replaced.

Step 5:
take your resistor and look real hard at it. Don't look away for about 3 minutes.

Step 6:
ok now that you wasted 3 minutes, get a new resistor, I wouldn't even try to reuse this one, but you can if you want. It is a 150ohm resistor

Step 7:
Take your new resistor and solder that little female connector on to one end, and then solder the Brown wire on to the other end. Clip that connector back on there.

Step 8:
Fill that little area back in with some epoxy or some adhesive that is non-conductive.

Step 9:
Put everything back together, and wipe away my friend, wipe away!!!!

Here are a couple pics of the actual switch inside the motor

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, as soon as someone tries it, let me know if it works, because there is one other possible solution that could be causing a failure... on the bottom pic you will ee on the underside of the cap where there is a brass ring around where a rivet goes through, that is supposed to ground itself out, but being it is (probably corroding) aluminum the ground may fail. So you might have to run a wire from there to a better grounding point. A way to test it is check for continuity (the beeping setting on a meter) between the (repaired) brown wire and the housing of the wiper motor. You will have to turn the motor until you here it click before the circuit will be closed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
thanks, as soon as someone tries it, let me know if it works, because there is one other possible solution that could be causing a failure... on the bottom pic you will ee on the underside of the cap where there is a brass ring around where a rivet goes through, that is supposed to ground itself out, but being it is (probably corroding) aluminum the ground may fail. So you might have to run a wire from there to a better grounding point. A way to test it is check for continuity (the beeping setting on a meter) between the (repaired) brown wire and the housing of the wiper motor. You will have to turn the motor until you here it click before the circuit will be closed.
HEY MAN... YOU ARE AWESOME!!

Mine had the exact same problem.... my resistor was much more fried/corroded that I couldn't have gotten the value of of it.
I put like 4 resistors in parallel to get 147ohm and soldered it back... refilled the compartment with some hot glue and it's all good now....

great find!

If this doesn't fix your issues... there's another fix http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178094

cheers!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You forgot to tell us to chant while staring at the resistor:

OOOOHHHHMMMM!
Haha - thanks to the OP for this, I'll be checking this out this weekend. On a separate note, being the electronics nut I am, the resistor has brown-green-brown-gold bands, which means 150ohms, 5% tolerance - no meter required!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back to the wiper motor...

I posed a question last Fall about the wipers on my '05 9-3 and came to these threads. Haven't had the time to pull the motor and work on it so I've just been grinning and bearing it since. It does seem to work correctly on occasion... Shortly after reading these threads covering the wiper motor as the issue, I started having another problem--the high beams in my headlights would not stay on without holding the switch on the steering column. Looking at the wiring diagrams, the headlights and wipers both go through a relay on the steering column; could that be bad and causing both issues? I hope not, as I have no clue, or equipment, to reset codes and such. A little nervous about working around the air bag... Any thoughts on this problem combo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wipers fixed thanks!!!

In my case it was BOTH the grounding issue AND the resistor on the other side of the micro switch that was suposed to be ta 150 oms was ta 20 000 oms and some.... Removed it and I did find some resistor that i placed in serie so they ad up to 152 oms and VOILA! My wipers now work perfctly !!! Thanks a lot for all the info i did find here!!!

The car was a 2003 9-3 sedan linear manual

·
Registered
140 Posts
In step 8. What do you mean fill it with epoxy or some adhesive? Like fill it with some silicone caulking or something?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In step 8. What do you mean fill it with epoxy or some adhesive? Like fill it with some silicone caulking or something?
that's right... just to prevent moisture to get in and corrode the resistor...

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
When silicone cures it gives off acetic acid which can cause corrosion in some metals. Use epoxy. Just make sure it is non-conductive. Most is, just check to make sure it isn't labelled as such.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When silicone cures it gives off acetic acid which can cause corrosion in some metals. Use epoxy. Just make sure it is non-conductive. Most is, just check to make sure it isn't labelled as such.
this is true... when working with silicon without gloves... my skin would start peeling off not long after....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks.

I took my motor out and for some reason it looks different. here's what it look like...it's going to rain so hard tomorrow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHYKkVyyjK_aklXbVlFVGVvXzA/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: And from what I can see, without picking at the nice looking epoxy, there's no resistor in there. I'm having a tough time getting the black plate off. It's like it's glued on or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fixing washer motor

After three straight days of trouble shooting. This was awesome Thank You!
Ok so here is going to be a brief DIY Wiper Fix... Now I took my wiper motor apart (busted through the rivets) so I can figure out how they work. I could put it back togethor, but since I bought a working motor for $40 I put the old one in the circular file (trash)

Step 1:
Remove your wiper motor (use this link if you need help) http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172654

*note* removing the arms can be a PITA I had a friend help me by beating on the shaft that sticks up with a punch and a hammer as I pulled the $#!T out of it and it eventually came off

Remove the actual motor assembly from all the linkage. (sorry didn't take pics of this either) but it is easy 2 10mm bolts in the arm and a 13mm on the motor...you will get it once you look at it.

Step 3:
Locate where the brown wire goes into the assembly (stole this pic from the other thread, so look at the old motor on top)

that is where the problem is.... Take a screwdriver or something of your choice and start picking that ish out. After you get a few mm down you will see a resistor.

Step 4:
That is where the problem is...either the resistor will go bad, or just become disconnected... so basically all you have to do is take it out, and then remove the little clip it was soldered on to. and don't worry if it comes off the Brown wire...it will be getting replaced.

Step 5:
take your resistor and look real hard at it. Don't look away for about 3 minutes.

Step 6:
ok now that you wasted 3 minutes, get a new resistor, I wouldn't even try to reuse this one, but you can if you want. It is a 150ohm resistor

Step 7:
Take your new resistor and solder that little female connector on to one end, and then solder the Brown wire on to the other end. Clip that connector back on there.

Step 8:
Fill that little area back in with some epoxy or some adhesive that is non-conductive.

Step 9:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think this is what happen to mine I think, wipers work in low and high, sensor won't work and won't park the blades and won't spray water at window or light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We did this and it Worked ! So easy! What a headache that was before hand! Thank you !
After three straight days of trouble shooting. This was awesome Thank You!

Step 1:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry to revive and old post, but does anyone know the proper wattage for the 150ohm resistor?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts