SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question-how many types manual gearboxes are in 9-5.
Are there different "Aero" or all are the same?
I search around and found that my car-1999 SE ex 2.0 LPT have final drive ratio of 4.05.My 5th gear is 0.70,but other model 9-5 have 0.66????
In 9000 Aero final drive is 3.61.
As i understand the longer the gear,the "slower" the car and the lower the revs?
Does it means that at high speed with lower final drive the engine will work on lower revs and can reach the higher maximal speed.
Is it possible to change final drive gear-this one fixed on the differential and what else-pinion?
And how will this change the dynamic till 200kmh for example?:eek:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DoctorPhill said:
I have a question-how many types manual gearboxes are in 9-5.
Are there different "Aero" or all are the same?
Pass :roll:

DoctorPhill said:
As i understand the longer the gear,the "slower" the car and the lower the revs?
Correct.

DoctorPhill said:
Does it means that at high speed with lower final drive the engine will work on lower revs and can reach the higher maximal speed.
NB Lower number = Longer gear

Longer final drive = lower revs, higher max speed
Shorter final drive = higher revs, lower max speed

DoctorPhill said:
Is it possible to change final drive gear-this one fixed on the differential and what else-pinion?
Sure, if you can find someone who makes one.

DoctorPhill said:
And how will this change the dynamic till 200kmh for example?:eek:
Add a shorter gear and you'll get there much quicker, if you can reach that speed ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The shorter the gear, the higher the rate of acceleration will be, but it's top gear will dwindle.

The longer the gear, the faster the car will go overall, but the acceleration rate will be lower.

Not sure why you want to mess with the final drive of these cars, they pretty much got the gears in the right spot to where the car runs out of power at the highest possible speed. Also, shortening the final drive will negatively affect your mileage as your RPMs will be quite a bit higher at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm asking,because the process of Aero-fication of my car is almost done.
It is in the tuning garage now,to convert the engine into 2.3,with Aero clutch,forged pistons,LSD,camshafts etc.
I got the suspension,even the steering wheel and with Nordic St.3 will have around 300 hp,so if there is "better"final drive now is the right moment to fit it.
In GM site and in Haynes there are different ratios mentioned,but in EPC there is only one final drive from 1998 till 2003 for all engines.
For new 2006-7 models final drive is also 4.05,but in Haynes for 2002 Aero it is
3.61 as in 9000 Aero.
Mystery:roll:.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The automatics and manual transmissions have different final drive ratios, maybe that's what your seeing? IIRC, the 06's have the exact same ratios as before, GM saw no reason to change them as they match the engine quite well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Adding a shorter gear will reach the red line quicker but we don't need to hop up into those kind of revs to get the power.

For a track car this mod would be benficial but I can't see it being worthwhile for an everyday driver. Then again, an everyday driver isn't going to reach high speeds so .... carry on Sir.

Just as a side question; What is the max possible speed out of one of these puppies. Limiters removed of course. Somebody, somewhere must have slung one down a runway or the autobahn until the legs ran out.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
There are no limiters, and IIRC an Aero will hit 157.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Gazolzwurf said:
No limiters? I thought they were blocked at 155 :confused:
Not to my knowledge, I think the car runs out of steam at 155 or 157.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Gazolzwurf said:
What time are you on over there Justin?
You got any runways nearby?
;)
It's 5:30 PM here right now, and I'm in the middle of an agricultural haven, so I may find a "runway" somewhere... ;)

I'll do a hunt tonight and record the adventure. :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The autos have even lower final drive-something like 2.44 may be.
The possible benefit I've been told is that lower final drive will easy the engine when driving over 200 kmh.
Over 220 it already goes up with bit effort.
If the Aeros have different final drive may be this kind of drive is better for more powerful cars.
What is written on your manual boxes Aero guys-4.05 or:roll: ?
Thanks for replies:D

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
All the ratios and gearboxes are the same to my knowledge, just reported slightly differently.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
All the same gearboxes I am sure of that ( Mine -LPT-has been apart a few times);oops:

So speed limiters but the car has a rev limiter and it hits at 6700?? so that means POTENTIAL top speed of 157 ( and it has been done on a dyno a few times, I will try to find a post about it) with wind resistance an drolling resistance it will take quite a bit of power/time to get there.

On the Track at pocono, comming out of the infield onto turn 3 ( tunnel turn) leaving teh infieild at about 35 in 2nd hitting the 3000 ft long straight I was able to hit 127MPH before braking for a hard 90o right.It atarted creeping faster - not exploding at 120 ( this is with 260WHP tune)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts