SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
wow, that thing takes up your entire trunk!

looks sweet though, and it has to sound great.

i probably would have make it a little bit wider so that it fit more snug, but that's just me.

keep up the good work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just out of curiosity, to you and anyone else who has installed subwoofers--did you have to do any caulking/deadening to cut down on rattle? I have the standard 6-speaker system in my SE, and the door panels and rear 6x9 grilles often rattle when I have the volume and bass turned up a little, so I am afraid my car would fall apart if I put subs in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Finally Something Have An Answer For!!!

OK FIRST QUESTION IS....HOW DID YOU DECIDE HOW BIG EACH "POD" FOR EACH SUBWOOFER WOULD BE?

TO CORRECTLY DESIGN A SUBWOOFER BOX IT HAS TO MATCH THE BEST REQUIRMENT OF AIR VOLUME FOR THAT SPECIFIC SUB. PREMADE BOXES AT THE STORES FOR LITTLE MONEY USUALLY ARE JUST MADE TO FIT A CAR....AND THEN HAVE A HOLE CUT FOR A SUB.

SOME SUBS REQUIRE LOTS OF SPACE, WHILE SOME REQUIRE LITTLE SPACE.

HOW SHATTERPROOF IS THAT FIBERGLASS BOX?

HOW HEAVY IS THE BOX??????

usually the idea with an install is to make the speakers look as integrated into the car as possible....

Fiberglass makes great boxes..but the box also depends on the type of music you want...

is the inside of the box smooth? the rough edges can produce noise on their own too...like in a bandbass box when the ports are not smooth you get noise.

AS FOR THE OTHER QUESTION...yes they make stuff called DYNAMAT which removes the noise...you can spray it on or adhere it one. www.dynamat.com
THIS STUFF IS THE BEST!!! i always put it around the speaker hole before mounting the speaker.

subs in the hatchback will always sound GREAT...JUST USE A SEALED BOX..but if you always have the cover over the back then maybe a ported box, or bandpass...depends on the type of music you like again...

regardless its pretty cool to work with fiberglass, and i think you did a fun project. but fiberglass is pretty heavy...i bet it feels like you have big bertha in the back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fibreglass Sub box

my sub box above is very shatter proof, I dropped the thing a few times when making it and not a scratch! also Ive bin runnin my subs on full,i deaf but the box is intact!.

I got the sub box size conclusion when i bought the xplod subs, it had the needs outlayed on a piece of paper so I built the inside capacity to be a cube foot, for a sealed unit.

the box it self is not too bad on weight, it was when I added the mdf base and the subs themselves that it got badboy heavy.

To answer the other comments, I used some dynamat on the build, and thanks for the good opinion above!
anthony

·
Registered
172 Posts
fiberglass

i'll agree on the shatter proof part!

here's one thought...i only tried it with one brand..

you can mount the subs together and run them out of phase...then you only need 1 ft^3 total...smaller box.

you can also probalbly get away with going downt to like .8 cubic feet and put some foam inthe box..so you can make is smaller...

when i made a fiberglass box for my camaro it was fun too. fiberglass is neat to work with! if not sanded right it is SHARP. careful....

what was your cost on the resin?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Does any human need a sound system like that in there car??
Guess I am the lone dissenter. Looks totally ghetto to me. At least it's not permanently mounted.

:cheesy:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ghetto

I AGREE IT DOES LOOK GHETTO...usually like i said people want to integrate theminto the car...personally since i have no use for a spare tire when i can call saab for help i'd use the spare tire well to put subs...but i'm not into the stereo thing anymore. i used to do custom fiberglass installs for people with a partner. we were rockford fosgate distributors while in college. we did work out of our apartment until we graduated and got new jobs.

bigger IS NOT better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its whatever floats your boat. I personally have a smaller subwoofer set up in my car that is not nearly as flashy and thats what I like, that doesnt mean im going to tell ant61uk that his stuff looks ghetto thats just something that you dont do. He obviously put time and effort into making the box because its something that he enjoys, why make fun of him for it? If you have something negative to say do me and everyone else a favor and DONT.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Chill out Slabr. Two people, out of what 6 so far, don't like it.

I COULD NOT agree more about 'whatever floats your boat'.
I would never tell anyone what to do with thier Saab.
AND I would totally agree with you IF AND ONLY IF I would have said something like
"Dude, you're a total F*'ing moron! Why would you do that to your Saab! It looks like total S* and you're a complete a*".
OF COURSE, I don't feel that way.

All I said was "it looks ghetto". Hardly even a MEAN comment. That's why I put things like this :cheesy: in threads so people know I am not trying to be cruel and/or mean.
Relax.
/Back to thread/

·
Registered
205 Posts
CleveSaab said:
Chill out Slabr. Two people, out of what 6 so far, don't like it.

I COULD NOT agree more about 'whatever floats your boat'.
I would never tell anyone what to do with thier Saab.
AND I would totally agree with you IF AND ONLY IF I would have said something like
"Dude, you're a total F*'ing moron! Why would you do that to your Saab! It looks like total S* and you're a complete a*".
OF COURSE, I don't feel that way.

All I said was "it looks ghetto". Hardly even a MEAN comment. That's why I put things like this :cheesy: in threads so people know I am not trying to be cruel and/or mean.
Relax.
/Back to thread/
Yeah really lay off his back. He only said the box looks "ghetto" which I tend to agree. I'm not a huge fan of the looks, but I'm sure the thing sounds amazing and that's really all that matters when you're talking about a sound system isn't it?

Overall I think it's a pretty cool mod, and you know if you ever wanna say build two custom 10" boxes that would fit in the wheel well gaps of the 900 trunk...for cheap...well send me a PM.

·
Registered
91 Posts
oh ok....if someone tells me my car is ghetto ill give them a thumbs up and big smile and maybe even a thank you since its such a great way to describe something that you put your time and effort into

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
It's modern art:suprised; . Love it:D or hate it:evil: .

·
Registered
172 Posts
ooooooo

ooooooooo i get it now, if someone ASKS for my opinion i should lie or just leave them hanging? i said it was a cool project and working with fiberglass is neat. i just felt it looked ghetto and doesn't enhance the saab...and stated that many people like to fabriacate their designs for integration into the car. i in no way ripped him a new hole.

america...if that's where your from is a land of free opinion. i commend the project, and the effort. its all about sound...anyone can have loud subwoofers...but do they hit all the notes in the range? the box is what helps that...and most people don't realize you can make 2 8 inch subwoofers sound like a big 15 inch. all depends on the box.

so..to recap...this guy asks for our opinion we tell him and you rip on us for giving it...your such a cool person? i can only hope my children learn to be half a man you are. dork.

so to the builder of the box....i bet that a badass fiberglass box like that can be made to fit inside the spare tire well....and regardless i know the feeling when you complete your own subwoofer box and drive around bumpin to the tunes.

fiberglass takes skill and can be messy.....i do honor this guys skills

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
mmmmmm, comic releif

·
Registered
556 Posts
Xplods??? :nono;

Your box itself is unquie and looks great for doing it by yourself.

I'll post a couple pictures of my box when I get around to it. It's built into the back area of the trunk- flush with the rest of the trunk with a rectangular port hole to increase subwoofer noise but reduce unwanted port hole noises. I had it wrapped in the same cloth as the rest of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
xplods arent bad man...if you dont have the money...thats the way to go, best performance for the dollar i think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
based on?

Kenwood's sound better tha Sony Xfarts...but truth is in that price range its personal preference.

personally i like the old kickers when they actually handsewn the cone.
the jl w6's eat power but sound the best.

i would be interested to see a trimmed down version of the fiberglass box thouhg...mold it more into the side of the back one woofer behind the other instead of side x side...then you can save most of the truck. mold it around the truck....you can go hi up on the sides that are against the truck and not have to go as wide b/c it doesn't matter where the air is for the woofer just that its sealed.

just an idea. if i was still in that business and had the tools i'd give it a go.
my parter was certified by Rockford Fosgate when they were good and we did garage installs for a year. a car a week with punch 10's and a400s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts