SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
drcoopster said:
Are there any fiberglass hoods available for the C900?
there is someone in sweden that makes them. you will have to make your own if you are not near there. a fiberglass hood would be useful. if you have ever dropped a saab hood on your toe then you will know why i think this would be useful to save weight. but for most people, who cares because the saab is a porky pig. saab used to make aluminum hoods for the 99 for race cars. maybe for the people doing racing in their saabs it would be a good idea for a fiberglass hood? for everyone else, watch your toes when handling the hood.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Custom Carbon in QLD, Aust. said they'd make me a carbon fibre bonnet for about AU$1500. That was back when I was contemplating spending six grand on a full customised-replica Airflow kit in CF.... haha, I got over THAT thought relatively quickly ;-)

·
Registered
772 Posts
group9 has carbon fiber hoods available, $900 + shipping is the price I beleive

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Two things come to my mind,

A. You get the fake fablon stuff and go nuts on your bonnet!:nono;

B. the DIY method would be to by a sheets of carbon fiber in a 3 k weave and try and model your own hood, you would have to keep the frame of the orginal hood and sides, but the main mass of the metal sheet could be taken away?

A fiber glass would be nice too to save weight.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
why would you want a fibre glass hood if you don'y mind my asking? :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
A fibreglass hood will weigh substantially less than the factory steel hood. Less weight means a better power to weight ratio. Better power to weight ratio means you go faster! ;)

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
FBG hood

Would'nt you also need to add some supports/steel tubes running across the engine bay?

I'm sure that the bonnet adds to the body stiffness.

Was thinking of maybe doing my boot lid (2 dr saloon) as i'm sure that's got a bit of weight to it.

What about replacing the back windows for perspex ones, has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I really doubt the hood has much to do with chassis rigidity. If you look at it, you can see, it only attaches with two small 13mm bolts in the front (and the latch of course) and two pins in the back. I'm sure there's enough play between those few connections that it doesn't do much for body flex. Either way, a nice light hood would be awesome. Perhaps even more necessasary is a lighter hatch. That thing must weigh a couple hundred pounds!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
for a race car you might want FG or CF panels,but I would rather have crash zones to disapate crash energy away from the cabin...sure CF is stronger than steel but it is BRITTLE all it will do is shatter in a crash.granted some energy is absorbed in the breaking,but not nearly enough to stop the crash energy from entering the cabin.thats the reason I don't like them...now if I could find some plexiglass side and hatch window(hatch must have heating element)

have anyof you seen crash test pics of the NG900 by chance?the hood is smashed up really good and the cabin colasped(not safe for driver) now if youve seen a real life crash of a C900 the front does what you expect it to do but the damage STOPS at the cabin...in fact in a C900 im pretty sure you can usally open the doors after a bad crash...

face it,the C900 is a heavy car.I weighed my car once and the rear seat,the headliner,and a little bit of that sound deading material out and it weighed 50 pounds shy of 3000.that is heavy.O sure you could strip the interior (passenger seats,carpet,radio,AC units,etc.but then you have a racecar not a daily driver...

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I have to agree that a nice old rust hood is still better at absorbing impact better than a fancy CF or FG hood.

Didnt the touring car Saabs have FG goods?
The hood is aero dynamical sound, remove it and there is a difference in nose and drag.

I like heaver solid cars, the Saab has thicker door panels than some most modern cars i would say, i dont have any written proof to back this up but knocking on the door panels on must Vauxhalls or fords and i smile when i hear the solid thick dead metal sound on the 900 doors.

This great body also makes a great foundation for car audio at it best.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, they are NOT 300lbs each. I have handled them off a car before. A fully dressed block is maybe 300lbs, but not each door.

·
Registered
109 Posts
with the gearbox being the fragile thing it is i would of thought that the less mass it has to pull around the better.

i'm very much in the pro composite camp. i've given up trying to find a new rear bumber in good nick (mine is a pre facelift aero) would fitting a carbon fibre replica be illegal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So my question now is, is there any interest in a C900 fiberglass or CF hood? It would require hood pins in the rear at least, maybe not the front.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
what about an aluminum top skin for the hood and still have steel structure underneath...now that I think about it probally wouldbt be too hard to make strong yet lighter bracing...hmmm

I dunno aluminum would still bend thus absorbing some energy in a crash,granted it wont absorb as much as steel but I dunno...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GearHead said:
I dunno aluminum would still bend thus absorbing some energy in a crash,granted it wont absorb as much as steel but I dunno...
I'm not sure how much energy the hood would absorb in the first place ...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
why not make the whole car fibreglass while you're at it?

I like'em heavy! :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts