SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought all of the items for the sat nav and telephone instalation, see http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114710&highlight=icm3

all I need now is the gps/gsm shark fin and connecting cable, the microphone, the power connectors for the amp2(I bought the 13 speaker upgrade aswell) and dvd unit and the optical fibre cables to complete the optical loop.

I just need a diagram or instructions on what the instalation should look like and to show me exactly what optical cables I need as the EPC and WIS are not at all clear which specific ones I require.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cavedudejeff said:
Holy Crap Batman!
Thats one big upgrade... how much did all of that set you back?
working with a rough $2-£1:
the sat nav/telephony system cost me £400 and the prestige audio upgrade £200. $1200 for all the parts so far then with a couple more things to get. want to install everything myself and then just pay for the tech2 to marry it to the car. Dont want to pay the 'Stealer' labour charges. probably wont add any resale value either..... just wanted the inbuilt phone and the icm3 screen really but when this deal popped up, I couldn't really turn it down and now I'm committed. will probably be many many months if not a year before I get it in though (got a holiday to pay for).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been hoping to do the same thing in the 2006 convertible, in fact I think I lost out to you in fleebay. Found some instructions regarding the AMP2 upgrade here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/~viscouse/SGFOG_docs/12788464_Upgrade_to_Premium_300_System.pdf

It may help to point you in the right direction. The one question I have for you is the TEL2 unit that you have been also a positioning unit. I thought this unit went in the front of the car behind the dash board and was cabled from the ICM unit?

I also had a look around my car and found a fiber in the boot:
/Users/user/Documents/30122007037.jpg

And found a connector in the TEL2 holder although I couldn't get a good look at the connector.
/Users/user/Documents/30122007038.jpg

I've added the ICM and CD changer and had the stealership TECH2 for me as the ICM1 was driving me mad:

/Users/user/Documents/30122007036.jpg

Please let me know how you get on:

Regard, Julian

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have no clue. I just know that TX and RX are common abbreviations.

I can tell you that the MOST components have, as you found, transmit and receive ports. But I think that there is no order required - as long as all of the units are in the loop, it should work fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
With the fibre optic, the order of the components doesn't matter - each one has a TX (transmit) and RX (recieve). Everything is just chained along - TX of one component goes to the RX of the next, then that TX goes on to the RX of the next, and so on.

The signal is purely digital; information is just transmitted along as packets of 1's and 0's. The packet header contains identifiers that each component looks for. Once a component recognizes it's identifier, it reads the rest of the packet; otherwise, it just passes it along to the next component on the loop.

In the 9-3, the original order is:

1) Head unit
2) amp 1 (under right side seat)
3) amp 2 (right side rear trunk)
4) DVD nav unit (right rear trunk again)
5) tel unit (OnStar in the US) under the rear parcel shelf

then, you must complete the loop by connecting the TX of the tel unit back to the RX of the head unit.

On the US cars with OnStar, the orange fiber optic cable made a complete loop around the passenger compartment - running down the right side, across the rear parcel shelf, then back up the left side of the car.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jpk said:
With the fibre optic, the order of the components doesn't matter - each one has a TX (transmit) and RX (recieve). Everything is just chained along - TX of one component goes to the RX of the next, then that TX goes on to the RX of the next, and so on.

The signal is purely digital; information is just transmitted along as packets of 1's and 0's. The packet header contains identifiers that each component looks for. Once a component recognizes it's identifier, it reads the rest of the packet; otherwise, it just passes it along to the next component on the loop.

In the 9-3, the original order is:

1) Head unit
2) amp 1 (under right side seat)
3) amp 2 (right side rear trunk)
4) DVD nav unit (right rear trunk again)
5) tel unit (OnStar in the US) under the rear parcel shelf

then, you must complete the loop by connecting the TX of the tel unit back to the RX of the head unit.

On the US cars with OnStar, the orange fiber optic cable made a complete loop around the passenger compartment - running down the right side, across the rear parcel shelf, then back up the left side of the car.
Thank you for your help.
There is also a wire that runs down the right hand side of the vehicle on the uk cars too. I imagine the set up would probably be identical as the gps/tel unit on our uk cars is where your onstar unit would be. If i were retro fitting the system then.... the loop is already run to the amp1 under the passenger seat. I also have the amp2 to install with cd changer and the dvd map unit for the satnav in the boot/trunk. should I run the additional cable down the right hand side or just make use of the existing o-bus loop to the amp1? i'll draw a rough sketch and post it in a min.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I appologise for the hand writing. This is the set up im trying to achieve. I already have everything up the front of the car and the amp1. Everything else is sitting in my cupboard at the moment.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Im not entirely sure how the o-bus is currently configuered with the existing components but it obviously runs down to the left B Pilliar at the moment to amp1. Anyone shed any light on how the optical cables should run?

ICM3tx to RADIOrx, RADIOtx to frontCDPLAYERrx, CDtx to AMP1rx and AMP1tx to ICM3rx???

Thats just a guess on the current config. anyone actually know how it goes? and how it should go for what im trying to install?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Theres a mention of the order in the audio upgrade (7-150 to 13-300) instructions. It specifies DVD -> CD Changer -> AMP2 in the right side of the boot, then it would loop over to the Telephone unit then back up to the front.

I don't know about the specific order up front (I wasn't aware that the FO interconnects were even used between those components)

If I haven't already sent you the pdf of the upgrade instructions (3 or 4 people have asked for it recently) pm me with an e-mail address and I'll send it out. It's about 780 kb.

You might check with a local dealer if they have any instructions for something like the ICM2 to ICM3 upgrade. Failing that, check with Nick at Genuinesaab.com; he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
WooSAABy said:
Im not entirely sure how the o-bus is currently configuered with the existing components but it obviously runs down to the left B Pilliar at the moment to amp1. Anyone shed any light on how the optical cables should run?

ICM3tx to RADIOrx, RADIOtx to frontCDPLAYERrx, CDtx to AMP1rx and AMP1tx to ICM3rx???

Thats just a guess on the current config. anyone actually know how it goes? and how it should go for what im trying to install?

Many thanks.
Long post coming up, but I think I can help!!! ;)

ICM3 TX runs down to EHU RX.

EHU RX runs across dashboard and down Passenger side of car to AMP1 RX

AMP1 RX should run to the rear of the car (You will need to repatch here. When the car left the factory, there should be 2 fibres that run all the way from the front of the car to the rear. The are taped up to the rear electrical centre and are inside a thin PVC duct. At the front, they are attached to a panel behind the lower kick panel just in front of the front door. You may need to remove the glove box.

AMP1 TX should then run to the rear of the vehicle where you should connect it to the GSM (Telephone) Unit RX. using 2 wires that you can run along under the parcel shelf. You will need to extend the fibre cables across to the parcel shelf and join together with the type of connector that was in the box of bits I sent you.

GSM TX should then be run to the NAV DVD Player RX.

NAV DVD TX should be fed to CDC (CD Changer) RX
CDC TX should be connected to AMP2 RX.
AMP2 TX should then run back to the front of the car to connect to the ICM3 RX.

If you do this, it should work. I have seen a hard copy of the actual ring sequence in a Saab Training manual, but you will need to get a Saab tech to dig that out for you.

The best place to start is to actualy survey the initial connection scheme behind the dash and make sure you have the apropriate front to back cables installed, as if you don't you will need to get these first!

Hope this is of some use. If you need a chat about it PM me your number and I'll call you back.

Gareth

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gjdavies said:
Long post coming up, but I think I can help!!! ;)

ICM3 TX runs down to EHU RX.

EHU RX runs across dashboard and down Passenger side of car to AMP1 RX

AMP1 RX should run to the rear of the car (You will need to repatch here. When the car left the factory, there should be 2 fibres that run all the way from the front of the car to the rear. The are taped up to the rear electrical centre and are inside a thin PVC duct. At the front, they are attached to a panel behind the lower kick panel just in front of the front door. You may need to remove the glove box.

AMP1 TX should then run to the rear of the vehicle where you should connect it to the GSM (Telephone) Unit RX. using 2 wires that you can run along under the parcel shelf. You will need to extend the fibre cables across to the parcel shelf and join together with the type of connector that was in the box of bits I sent you.

GSM TX should then be run to the NAV DVD Player RX.

NAV DVD TX should be fed to CDC (CD Changer) RX
CDC TX should be connected to AMP2 RX.
AMP2 TX should then run back to the front of the car to connect to the ICM3 RX.

If you do this, it should work. I have seen a hard copy of the actual ring sequence in a Saab Training manual, but you will need to get a Saab tech to dig that out for you.

The best place to start is to actualy survey the initial connection scheme behind the dash and make sure you have the apropriate front to back cables installed, as if you don't you will need to get these first!

Hope this is of some use. If you need a chat about it PM me your number and I'll call you back.

Gareth
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I do have the two optical cables taped up to the rear elec centre. What I got from your message then is :

ICM3tx=>EHUrx, EHUtx=>AMP1rx, AMP1tx=>GPS/TELrx, GPS/TELtx=>DVDrx, DVDtx=>CDCrx, CDCtx=>AMP2rx, AMP2tx=>ICM3rx? Where does the front cd player fit into this map?

I still need to get power cables for the amp2 and DVD unit. Also a mic, a gps/gsm fin, the gps/gsm fin connecting cable, I think I need to buy the correct parcel shelf harness too and the bluetooth antenna. And possibly any optical cables once I know for sure how its wired up. Do I need a different roof harnes too?

I fitted the ICM3 yesterday and it throws up lock mechanism failure message(even though all the locks still work) and ECU not programmed message even though the car still runs(might have deleted my hirsch upgrade though):eek:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jpk said:
Theres a mention of the order in the audio upgrade (7-150 to 13-300) instructions. It specifies DVD -> CD Changer -> AMP2 in the right side of the boot, then it would loop over to the Telephone unit then back up to the front.

I don't know about the specific order up front (I wasn't aware that the FO interconnects were even used between those components)

If I haven't already sent you the pdf of the upgrade instructions (3 or 4 people have asked for it recently) pm me with an e-mail address and I'll send it out. It's about 780 kb.

You might check with a local dealer if they have any instructions for something like the ICM2 to ICM3 upgrade. Failing that, check with Nick at Genuinesaab.com; he should be able to help you out.
im one of the ones you sent it to, cheers. I'll have a look at it again. the epc had optic cables on it for all of the in dash components so they must all be connected.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts