SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed when braking, I can feel slight play/movement in the steering wheel. This is very noticable if I am completely stopped, and I take my foot off the brake, move forward a few inches, and brake hard again. This almost feels like a worn bushing. I don't notice any wheel bearing noise from the front.

I'm note sure if this car has ball joints, or not.

Anyone have ideas or similar problems?

-Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed something similiar, I have noticed my car pulling to the left all of a sudden whilst under resonably hard breaking, it doesnt feel like the brakes pulling more like a sudden jolt to the left.

Have not quite figured out what it is yet, my first guess is that its worn bushings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are ball joints on the control arms. they are easily serviced because they are attached to the control arms by bolts so you can get a new ball joint housing instead of having to press them in the arm.

I have replaced bushings and ball joints in my other car (not saab) and it has alleviated the symptoms you are describing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks Element,

Just a question, we jacked up the two wheels to see if there was any play on them and could find none, not vertical play or horizontal which would normally indicate everything was fine in that department, what I might do is get in and put some leverage pressure on that ball joint to see if theres any give on it, but it definitly seems like it, is what you pointed out.

Shall keep you posted :)

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
You may have bad ball joints. Fortunately, 9-5 ball joints are

* cheap, easy to check, easy to replace

It's way more likely that you have:

* bad sway bar end links - cheap, easy to check, easy to replace.
* spline joint in steering column requires lubing - cheap, easy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
MacNoob said:

Would any of these apply if you've had some play/movement in your steering wheel while driving and you've:

-bought new tires
-had them balanced twice (road force once if I remember correctly)
-replaced both front and back struts/shocks (whatever you want to call them)
-had the rotors and pads replaced on all 4 wheels

and still have movement in your steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
MacNoob said:

They are cheap... unless you talk to the stealership.

When I tried to get new ball joints, they told me that the old style no longer existed, and had to be upgraded, so they would have to change the control arms and everything associated to the 02+ style... putting the cost at about $2500.

Thank god for eeuroparts! Seriously the dealerships here are all ridiculous. $1250 for an alternator? Takes 3 weeks to finally get me the right serpentine belt? $200 to set a few Tech2 options? Screw that. I'll just do everything myself now, and do a right better job of it too :cool:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
crosseye said:
Ugh, so, which might be the most likely culprit at this point?

:cool:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
crosseye said:
Ok, so let's tackle these one at a time. How do I get to the spline joint and lube it?
Forum search is a wonderful tool:

"Clicking/knocking in the steering can often be resolved through lubing the splined slip joint in the steering column. Under the dash, disconnect the joint at the floor in the steering column (one bolt). Do not allow the steering wheel to turn as you can damage the clock spring in the steering which will break your air bag and steering wheel controls. Pull the splined joint apart a bit (higher on the column), clean, and grease with a good quality grease (I used Permatex Super Lube synthetic grease). IIRC I did not pull the spline completely apart, just separated it enough to clean/regrease."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts