SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 900 turbo Convertible
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've located and removed the brake light switch on my new 93 900 turbo convertible. It's could be the original, made by Kirsten. It looks to be in good shape. (I'll add more info as to HOW I removed it if anyone is interested, though I figured it out from other brake light threads it was kinda difficult!).
Since the lights were staying ON (only turning off when brake pedal is clicked up after use) I'm wondering now what to do to this thing to try to fix it. I know I can replace it, and I will if necessary but since I'm just sitting here looking at it, I'd like to give it a try! If you're gonna tell me to replace it, don't waste your hand strength typin! ;,)
I have pulled the clicky ratchet button up with pliers to make it longer, inserted it again (just plugged it in, did not insert into harness. Maybe i need to? ) Now the lights are staying on still but if the pedal is pulled up they do NOT go off as beforehand. I hear a buzzing when brake is depressed.
I've seen posts about shims, grease, un-greasing, glue, new springs, but am unsure what the fix would be for this particular issue! Any ideas?? Thank you!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Stay tuned for more questions as Itry to take this thing apart and see if works

·
Registered
267 Posts
On a side note: I wouldn't even attempt to wiggle under the dash without taking the seat out. It makes it soooooo much easier. The front seats come out really easy - 2 allen heads bolts in the front, disconnect the seat heater and seatbelt warning connectors underneath the seat, lean seat back and with the top down, pull the seat right out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a side note: I wouldn't even attempt to wiggle under the dash without taking the seat out. It makes it soooooo much easier. The front seats come out really easy - 2 allen heads bolts in the front, disconnect the seat heater and seatbelt warning connectors underneath the seat, lean seat back and with the top down, pull the seat right out.
Thankfully I'm small but it did hurt! Probably do not attempt if you're a man 😎

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
It can be done, but your back won't thank you for it. Speaking from experience. :) Also, shoe prints are sometimes hard to get out of the headliner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thing I have a convertible and one of those plug in back massager chairs :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Watching. I have the same problem. Have had it for years (took me a bit to figure out why my battery kept dying), but don't drive that much so a tap on the brake pedal every shift doesn't bother me. Planning on taking the seats out to clean the carpet and remove the sponge (and fix this), so I will post if I happen to get to it in the very near future and figure it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok dunno if anyone is listening but I pray! I lengthened and shortened the plunger in the brake switch and both had the same effect. The lights stay on and do not turn off when I pull up the brake (which was the effect before I started messing with it). So I am assuming that because they are stuck on that the switch is just broke because they stay on regardless of whether the switch is plugged in and in the mount or just hanging there not being effected by the pedal. Just trying to get feedback because I do NOT understand mechanics, physics, cars, engineering, geometry, poetry, or any o' that, but I'm trying! Will order a new switch because it's $20 shipped but if someone has advice I'd like to learn!!

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
I hope you're not mistaking the cruise control switch for the brake light switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope! I made absolutely sure to get that part right :) Wish it was that simple of a fix.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
Do you have the plunger pulled out far enough so that the pedal can push on it when you release the pedal?
Does under-dash padding interfere with pedam movement?
Is the bracket bent?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much!! I think I had the plunger off/on function backwards and that it needed to be shorter, will double-check all this after the rain delay!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, got it so I have to pull out the brake for the lights to go off. Either will get used to this new fancy footwork like Pablorock, or try bending the bracket so that it's closer or putting some kind of shim on there when I next feel up to cramming my body into the footwell! Thanks for the help and advice everybody ;)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Is it possible the return spring on the brake pedal became disconnected? I feel like that was still a thing with the ABS cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts