SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was thinking of how fast a 9000 could be on the 1/4 mile track, does anyone know about these things in the states or europe?
I found out that the fastest 9000 in Sweden is running 12,4 seconds.
I have the fastest one in Iceland and I have pulled 12,1 in my ´87 B202.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jón Gunnar Kristinsson

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you can pull a 12.1 w/ front-wheel drive and anything resembling a Saab gearbox (it still runs afterwards) I think there will be no challengers.

Was Niro involved? Any car details? Gearbox? Engine life in days or hours or minutes or 12+ seconds?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I did the Santa Pod 1/4 mile at the last Retro Cars day. First time I'd done it and this was the best of my 3 runs:

Reaction : 0.477s ( must have nodded off!, on my slowest run I did a 0.01 tho!)
60ft : 2.494s
330ft : 6.439s
1/8 ET : 9.676s
1/8 MPH : 76.37mph
1000ft ET:12.378s
1/4 ET : 14.865s
1/4 MPH : 93.52mph

Now, my car probably has more capabilities than I have, but your 12.1 is:eek: , phenomenal!
You sure?;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
At a recent rwyb day at my local strip (Crail), there were 2 Aeros competing. One did consistent 14.8's while the other did high 15's. I didn't speak to the owners, but consider that one was modified and the other standard. Even 15's is quite quick on the road, but the 9000 is a heavy car and FWD. To get 12's is some going, so well done. Incidentally last week a Suburu was doing 10.2's - bike territory.

I use a Rover V8 minor at the drags, and with a tired engine does 15.1, but it is a fast car on the road, and not much will beat it at the traffic lights, but it tops out at 130mph - (building a 5.8 litre one now though).

Pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KevinC said:
If you can pull a 12.1 w/ front-wheel drive and anything resembling a Saab gearbox (it still runs afterwards) I think there will be no challengers.

Was Niro involved? Any car details? Gearbox? Engine life in days or hours or minutes or 12+ seconds?
Do I smell doubt.......? Or maybe env.........? No, did´nt think so

http://www.icesaab.net/?i=12

This is all true and I have no reason to lie about things like this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This one always confuses me - Not sure why spend time and effort getting a heavy FWD car to run fast 1/4 miles. Good for a laugh just to see what your car can do but traction seems to be such as issue that if I was serious I'd just buy a Scooby/4WD or even RWD and be done with it. Must be really frustating to have 400bhp and still be wheelspinning in 3rd. May as well run less power and not wheelspin?
In saying that I given the chance I'd take my Aero on a run just for a laugh!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think is is just great that someone has inspiration to make fwd car move fast. My goal is about 400bhp too, maybe there is not any sense but where is? You can go from place A to place B with Daihatsu Charade too, with about 50bhp.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
IceSaab said:
Do I smell doubt.......? Or maybe env.........? No, did´nt think so

http://www.icesaab.net/?i=12

This is all true and I have no reason to lie about things like this.
No doubyt or envy here, only admiration. Looks like you have done a great job of modding your Saab to a very over-the-top level.

It does not have to be logical, but it sure looks fun.

Keep us posted on further strip exploits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Powerful SAABs....

Well, I was just looking for powerful SAABs cause I like them so much, the thing about dragracing is that it is an easy way to measure the power of your car by calculating the elapsed speed and weight of the car. We have 2 dyno´s here in Iceland that I know of and the bigger one is good for 300 kw and my SAAB did 297,8 kw. If I only wanted to go fast on the 1/4 mile track I would choose a RWD lightweight dragster with turbocharged engine. I really believe the old B202 are good engines and I love to make it scream at 7000 rpm.

Sorry about this Kevin, just my mistake. Probably just a little surpriced and pissed after being thrown out by Scott Paterson at saabnet.com for a post just like this one.

Guys I only love the SAABs and and I am also really proud of what me and my friends have done with this old rustbucket, standalone, big turbo, big intercooler, big exhaust, wide band, stock motor, etc.

Dyno slip here.....http://www.icesaab.net/?i=2004_07_01_IceArchive.txt

Thanks, Jón Gunnar Kristinsson

·
Registered
320 Posts
skint said:
This one always confuses me - Not sure why spend time and effort getting a heavy FWD car to run fast 1/4 miles. Good for a laugh just to see what your car can do but traction seems to be such as issue that if I was serious I'd just buy a Scooby/4WD or even RWD and be done with it. Must be really frustating to have 400bhp and still be wheelspinning in 3rd. May as well run less power and not wheelspin?
In saying that I given the chance I'd take my Aero on a run just for a laugh!
I must say I'm getting tired of this type of reasoning. My friends 04 Mustang Cobra has about 500 Hp and he can't floor it in the first three gears without it lighting up the tires. And thats with 10" tires in the back! I guess he should just sell it then.:roll::roll::roll:
First off these cars are not that heavy. 2nd who cares how heavy it is. The question is does it go fast? Yes! Is fast fun? YES!! What needs to be explained beyond this? By the way my friends Cobra weighs in at around 3700 lbs. About 400 lbs heavier than our 9000s.
Why are you on the performance board anyway?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm on it as I have a modified 9k Aero. No need to get cheeky :eek: - I just know that the Saab strengths are not from a standing start. Am I wrong?

I guess there are a few angles to running the car on a drag strip:

1) To have the fastest Saab/beat your personal bests- which IceSaab has done an great job on. I dont doubt that.

2) To have a laugh - job done on this one methinks.

3) To have the fastest car. The Saab will never be high up the ladder as it's FWD and (relatively) heavy 1400kgs is not light. Of course there are heavier cars... but I suggest they will be slower unless they have more power and traction.
Not sure why using the mustang example (a car that has also as you say also has traction issues) has to do with it. If it was bought for strip racing and puts in poor times then maybe its not worth it.

If the third point isnt a concern then job done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
saabluster said:
I must say I'm getting tired of this type of reasoning. My friends 04 Mustang Cobra has about 500 Hp and he can't floor it in the first three gears without it lighting up the tires. And thats with 10" tires in the back! I guess he should just sell it then.:roll::roll::roll:
First off these cars are not that heavy. 2nd who cares how heavy it is. The question is does it go fast? Yes! Is fast fun? YES!! What needs to be explained beyond this? By the way my friends Cobra weighs in at around 3700 lbs. About 400 lbs heavier than our 9000s.
Why are you on the performance board anyway?

Good posting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
60 foot

skint said:
I'm on it as I have a modified 9k Aero. No need to get cheeky :eek: - I just know that the Saab strengths are not from a standing start. Am I wrong?

I guess there are a few angles to running the car on a drag strip:

1) To have the fastest Saab/beat your personal bests- which IceSaab has done an great job on. I dont doubt that.

2) To have a laugh - job done on this one methinks.

3) To have the fastest car. The Saab will never be high up the ladder as it's FWD and (relatively) heavy 1400kgs is not light. Of course there are heavier cars... but I suggest they will be slower unless they have more power and traction.
Not sure why using the mustang example (a car that has also as you say also has traction issues) has to do with it. If it was bought for strip racing and puts in poor times then maybe its not worth it.

If the third point isnt a concern then job done.

To inform you, my best 60 foot is 1,89 sec. which is very good for a FWD car so you see I´m working on that too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just a comment on the 2wd/4wd debate.

On a recent day at Bruntingthorpe a Merc S55 (2 tonnes? 500BHP? 500NM?) consistently piddled on a 600BHP Skyline (1.5 tonnes?) on the straight from a standing start. I don't doubt that some of this success was based on the relative skills of the drivers but I suspect that the Mercs auto box and many thousands of pounds of electronic wizardry contributed the most.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Icesaab - good for you. I don't see how anyone can judge on this board, afterall we all have our own reasons for owning a Saab - variety is one of the benefits of this marque.

By the way, I am sure performance is enhanced by the quality of the driver - didn't Eric Carlsson win the RAC rally three years running in his 850cc 2 stroke 96.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A 1.89 60 foot time is very sharp - wish I could do that on my bike every time (11.2, 130mph TV )

Many people think drag racing is easy, my answer is try it. My friend has a bike with less power and more weight than mine and he does 10.5's (skill)

Fastest cars here are all four wheel drive (no proper drag cars, just road cars) putting in times from low tens up. I only wish my Griffin was quicker, but I'm fearful of the auto box going bang, that's why I'm building a 450hp Morris Minor!!!

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
what do 9000s weigh anyways?...somewhere i read about 2800 pounds and now someone is saying 3300...what does an 86' weigh anyone know?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts