SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would introduce myself to the group, as a new member. I currently own a 1968 Saab Sonett II V4, we call Fast Freddy. This car has been in the family since the early 1990s, and was our autocross and hillclimb car for about 10 years. Jack Ashcraft (my stepdad) bought it from the estate of Fred Champion, hence Fast Freddy.

After we retired it from racing, my stepbrother Mark bought it from Jack, and it lived in SoCal for about 15 years getting used very little. I bought it from Mark early last year, and have been slowly reviving it back to street duty.

The basic specs are:
-70,000 miles

-1,000 miles on a fully rebuilt engine. It started as a brand new 1,700cc industrial engine. High compression pistons, F66 cam, big valve and big port cylinder heads, needle bearing rocker arms, Weber 32/36 carb, 11# flywheel, converted to electric fan. Fully balanced, and good for 8,000rpm.

-Freshly rebuilt trans with sedan r&p.

-freshly rebuilt stock brakes

-freshly rebuilt suspension, including revalved Konis, and a custom made coilover setup front and rear.

-3/4" front anti-roll bar

-Somewhat hybrid interior setup, with new carpets but original vinyll and door cards. Converted to SIII floor shifter, with reverse gear lockout.

-You'll notice the bodywork is a bit unique. Jack built the front lower valence and modified the hood, added flares etc.

-Currently sitting on 15x7 wheels with 195/60-15 street tires

Here are a few pics:

Anyways, looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Chris Hartman
Chico, CA

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Nice to see Freddy still being cared for! Welcome aboard.

Josh

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
Love it.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Chris, did you tune it on the dyno? Be interesting to see how many WHP it made.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Very nice. Priceless I am sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts